Big Tex? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Tex?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Jer19G » Tue May 18, 2004 4:45 pm

Well for those of you who dropped Tex you could be very sorry very soon. ;-) Although Huff is worth picking up for him.
Demon Days
Jer19G
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue May 18, 2004 4:49 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
leafz17 wrote:I'm guessing this is not a Yahoo league because it has a little something called...Can't Cut List. This is designated so people don't cut players like Delgado. Even if your league doesn't have a Can't Cut List, I would suggest NEVER dropping anyone that is on the "CCL" in Yahoo leagues.

I don't use it in my Yahoo league. I don't like anyone telling me who I can or can't cut. For instance, say Prior was out for the year. Assuming that I have 1 DL slot in a non-keeper, I would much rather use it for someone who can help me later.

Yahoo changes the cant cut list throughout the season. So if Prior was out for the season, they would take him off it. You need the Cant Cut list if you play in a league with idiots who drop Delgado.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 18, 2004 4:51 pm

They are a necessary evil in public leagues but I don't use them in my private leagues, either. In private leagues they are more of an annoyance than anything.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Tue May 18, 2004 5:37 pm

Amazinz wrote:They are a necessary evil in public leagues but I don't use them in my private leagues, either. In private leagues they are more of an annoyance than anything.

The point of a can't cut list is not to prevent some silly person from dumping delgado. it is to prevent some idiot from dumping their entire roster and ruining the league. Last year two people in one of my public leagues dropped all their players within the first month of the season. The firt person did so right after the draft, saying "I was using this for a mock draft" and the second was in last and just bailed. Consequently some people in the league got an additional 2-3 studs (1 to 3rd rounders). That was ridiculous. that is what the can't cut list is supposed to prevent

in an ideal world it wouldn't be necessery... but unfortunately there are a lot of sinister/obnoxious people out there.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rolenfan » Tue May 18, 2004 5:48 pm

Man, you guys are tough.

It's a 12 team H2H league. The guy ended up with Delgado, Palmiero and Casey after about three weeks into the season. He tried like crazy to trade one of them, but nobody would bite. He dropped Delgado because at the time he was hitting like .225 or something. He dropped him to make room for Alvarez.

Stupid? Maybe, but it's his team and he can make his own decisions. Delgado was grabbed up immediately.

We don't use the CC list for the same reason Lofunzo said. I don't want anyone telling me who I can drop.

You guys are all entitled to your opinions, but so is everyone else. If the guy thought for whatever reason that Delgado was going to have a bad year, then that's his call.

I saw Delgado on the FA list but didn't want him either. Crazy? Maybe, but I just doon't think he will help me.

It's a H2H league, so some of these guys are only looking to next week to see if they can win their matchup. They guy is in 5th place (of 12), 3.5 GB of the lead. He isn't doing too bad. You guys make it sound like he just punted the whole season on that one move. You'll feel pretty silly if Delgado ends up with .240-15-60, which is possible, if unlikely.
"You can observe a lot by watching" Yogi
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue May 18, 2004 5:54 pm

Why would you ever drop Delgado? Even if you think he will have a bad year, somebody will think he will turn it around. Maybe you wont get full value for him, but you will get a player a hell of lot better than anyone on FA. Dropping a first of second rounder is just plain stupid
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Strasil42 » Tue May 18, 2004 5:55 pm

.240-15-60

the only way that will happen is if delgado breaks both his legs. Those numbers are idiotic and if you passed delgado up on the fa list your a idiot.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rolenfan » Tue May 18, 2004 6:27 pm

An idiot, huh? Tell me then, who is the best 1B in both leagues? You can't, there is no "right" answer to that question. It depends on what you need and what you believe a player's potential is for your specific situation. Maybe it's Pujols, maybe it's Helton, maybe it's Delgado - maybe it's Huff.

You guys are way too critical.

I'm not defending his decision to drop Delgado, I sure wouldn't have done it, but I will defend his right to make his own decisions based on his own free will and thought process.

I guess you guys go undefeated in your H2H leagues.

Disagree with my choices if you wish, but don't call me an idiot. Some people think that anyone who would proudly display a Yankee avatar is an idiot.
"You can observe a lot by watching" Yogi
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 18, 2004 7:05 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
leafz17 wrote:I'm guessing this is not a Yahoo league because it has a little something called...Can't Cut List. This is designated so people don't cut players like Delgado. Even if your league doesn't have a Can't Cut List, I would suggest NEVER dropping anyone that is on the "CCL" in Yahoo leagues.

I don't use it in my Yahoo league. I don't like anyone telling me who I can or can't cut. For instance, say Prior was out for the year. Assuming that I have 1 DL slot in a non-keeper, I would much rather use it for someone who can help me later.

Yahoo changes the cant cut list throughout the season. So if Prior was out for the season, they would take him off it. You need the Cant Cut list if you play in a league with idiots who drop Delgado.

I understand that but, at least in football, it took them forever to update it. If I'm playing for more than $1K, I can't wait for some data entry person to tell me who I can or can't drop.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Strasil42 » Wed May 19, 2004 12:10 am

Tell me then, who is the best 1B in both leagues?

thats easy. Albert pujols.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers