How Good is Gerut? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How Good is Gerut?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How Good is Gerut?

Postby beef » Tue May 18, 2004 1:18 pm

In 450ish bats last year he put up 20+ homers and hit around 300. He's hit 5 homers so far this year, has stolen 5 bases, and all the while he's hitting right around 300 again. What do you think we can expect from him from the rest of the season?
beef
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedro » Tue May 18, 2004 1:31 pm

Well I believe it wouldn't be out of the question for him to hit something in the 25 HR, 80 RBI, .280 BA, .800 OPS range.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby EK711 » Tue May 18, 2004 1:43 pm

He's shown potential to do both hit for power and steal in the minors and his only real weakness has been against lefties. Actually it's a pretty big weakeness so far, and he could be benchable against them. The whole top of the Indians lineup has bene a very pleasant surprise, although some of us will say that it isn't that surprising :-D . Lawton, Vizquel, Gerut, and Martinez are the top 4 right now and they have 27, 21, 20, and 30 RBI respectively. I'd take that against any top 4 in baseball. The whole team is getting on base and so far they've been racking up the runs. I'd expect some fall off in RBI for Jody compared to what last years numbers could project. Last year he was one of Cleveland's only sources to drive runs in, but it's quite a different story this year. Seeing as the bats should cool off a little, but nothing too drastic. The biggest plus for seeing how Jody is developing is looking at how he takes more pitches, and is willing to walk more this year. Last year he had 35 walks in 124 games and he already has 24 walks in 35 games this year. If I had to give a prediction for his end of the year stats I'd say something along the lines of:

.285 25(ish)HR 90 RBI 15 SB and 90-95 Runs

Just the biggest thing to remember with Jody is that he still hasn't proved he can hit lefties, and may be best to platoon with until he shows he can. Also check out this thread for some more views on Jody.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Kevy Kev » Tue May 18, 2004 1:53 pm

Gerut is the man!

I would love to see 30 bombs and 20 bags. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I do sit him against lefties though. ;-D
these are not the droids your looking for
Kevy Kev Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Members Only Jackets » Tue May 18, 2004 2:35 pm

I just picked him up 2 days ago...Geez I guess I thought he was better than he is...hummm
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby EK711 » Tue May 18, 2004 2:40 pm

Members Only Jackets wrote:I just picked him up 2 days ago...Geez I guess I thought he was better than he is...hummm

He's had some tough luck in rough at bats that killed his 17 game hit streak. The fact that he even had a 17 game hit streak should speak volumes about him. I wouldn't be too down on a couple bad days.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue May 18, 2004 5:27 pm

if you have another solid OF to platoon him when he faces lefties hes a good asset to your team. 3-4th OF type.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue May 18, 2004 7:15 pm

Also, the night the streak ended, he went 0 for 1 w/ 4 BB, an interesting stat for a young player on a tear. Good contrast w/ say Soriano waving at pitches well off the plate in the playoffs last year.

I'd agree w/ picking him up and spotting him against righties though and grabbed him just before his homer before the streak ended.

EK711 wrote:
Members Only Jackets wrote:I just picked him up 2 days ago...Geez I guess I thought he was better than he is...hummm

He's had some tough luck in rough at bats that killed his 17 game hit streak. The fact that he even had a 17 game hit streak should speak volumes about him. I wouldn't be too down on a couple bad days.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers