Any RUSH fans out there? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Any RUSH fans out there?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rolenfan » Tue May 18, 2004 1:48 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Talent definitely doesn't translate into popularity. Rush and Yes are 2 of the most talented R&R bands and they are relatively not as popular as a lot of much less talented bands. Sad but true.

Sure, as it is in most fields. Funny you would mention Yes. IMO the only bass player better than Geddy Lee is Chris Squire. The first guy to play it like a lead guitar instead of like a backup instrument.

I could never figure out how Yes was not more popular in the US. They were huge in the UK. Same with Status Quo. I'd put Yes WAY above the Doors in my top 50 bands.

My 22-yr. old daughter last summer said she had never heard of Yes (don't know how that was possible with her growing up in my house, but whatever). So I played Roundabout for her, then All Good People. She now owns Fragile and Yessongs.
"You can observe a lot by watching" Yogi
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 18, 2004 1:55 pm

All Good People is good but I keep begging the speakers to say something different. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue May 18, 2004 2:00 pm

rolenfan wrote:My 22-yr. old daughter last summer said she had never heard of Yes (don't know how that was possible with her growing up in my house, but whatever). So I played Roundabout for her, then All Good People. She now owns Fragile and Yessongs.

Good man. I have fond memories of listening to Yes at night as I studied through HS. I listened to 90125 so many times - I am sure I could play the entire album in my head from memory. lol
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rolenfan » Tue May 18, 2004 2:06 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
rolenfan wrote:My 22-yr. old daughter last summer said she had never heard of Yes (don't know how that was possible with her growing up in my house, but whatever). So I played Roundabout for her, then All Good People. She now owns Fragile and Yessongs.

Good man. I have fond memories of listening to Yes at night as I studied through HS. I listened to 90125 so many times - I am sure I could play the entire album in my head from memory. lol

You're a real enigma. I doubt there are many Yes fans that actually studied through HS :-b

90125 was a really good album, but give me the Wakeman years any time.
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Thatsa Balk!! » Tue May 18, 2004 2:43 pm

Wow!! It's good to see a bunch of responses for this thread. I guess I'm not as old as i thought. :-o

I never really got into Triumph, but Rik Emmitt is one of my favorite guitar players. A Midsummer's Daydream is one of the most beautiful guitar instrumentals I've ever heard.

As far as favorite RUSH album, I would have to go with Moving Pictures. The entire album had a great feel to it and all of the songs showcased each ones technical prowess with their instrument.

Listening to the The Camera Eye still sends chills up my spine.

:-D
Thatsa Balk!!
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby wkelly91 » Tue May 18, 2004 4:07 pm

Rush Limbaugh is the greatest :-)

Just kidding, Doors over-rated :-[ I'm a big Doors fan. Rush and Yes are Ok.

SRV is the greatest guitar player ever. When I watch DVD's of him I look like this 8-o

Jethro Tull rocks. B-)
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 18, 2004 4:08 pm

Man, thought this thread would be about Rush Limbaugh. Imagine my disappointment. ;-)
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Yunn » Tue May 18, 2004 4:14 pm

It's tough call, but I'd have to go with oldschool Rush and say that my favorite albums are Hemispheres, 2112, and Farewell to Kings. Kill me for it, but I also like Grace Under Pressure
Yunn
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 18, 2004 4:57 pm

I can't believe that there's no love for the Tragically Hip here. The best Canadian musicians after Rush and Neil Young.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby rolenfan » Tue May 18, 2004 5:05 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I can't believe that there's no love for the Tragically Hip here. The best Canadian musicians after Rush and Neil Young.

I must admit that I am unfamiliar with their work. I'll do some research tonight. Based on your posts so far, our tastes must be quite similar, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I can tell because you listed Neil Young instead of Heart.
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk