The Censorship Project - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Censorship Project

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:51 pm

Flockers wrote:I think that censorship on this sight is ok. Because you never know, a 10 year old kid may be surfing the sight and learn a new word and the parents hear it and BLAME THE OLDER BROTHER AND THE BROTHER GETS INTO TROUBLE AND GETS GROUNDED FOR 3 WEEKS NOT BEING ALLOWED TO HANG WITH HIS FRIENDS THUS LOSING HIS CHANCE TO NAIL THIS HOT CHICK THAT WANTS TO GOT OUT WITH HIM!

Sorry, another episode in the life of Flockers... :~(

Ouch. Life goes on, but that's tough. :-o
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:06 pm

How about everytime soebody types The SF Giants ....
we can have it change to "The SF Bonds" .....
or maybe even my favorite ... "The SF Ginats" .....
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby bboy » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:56 pm

As the recipient of a yellow card I would say this: any language that is assessed by the mods as 'objectionable' should be take in context.

I posted a topic "ESPN is s***" and recieved a yellow card. This was in response to ESPN cocking up another live draft. Would it have been the same if I had said "ESPN is crap". If so the difference is subjective.

Surely a word must be taken in context. If I had said "FBC user is s***" well maybe :-?

In New Zealand a few years ago there was a compaint over a television ad for Toyota which used the word 'bugger'. The complaint was that 'bugger' meant sodomy. The Broadcasting Complaints Authority said that despite its historical meaning the word had now passed into accepted language and was not offensive and basically 'bugger' meant 'damn it' in NZ.

In NZ I have heard the word 'wanker' used at least twice by a leading politician in the media. I have also heard the s*** used repeatedly in US TV shows plus other words normally deemed worse.

My point is that the mod who yellow carded me might have been a bit precious. I really cannot believe that my topic title caused offence or was offensive.

Oh well
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:20 am

bboy.......Your point is well taken but if you ever looked at the top of the screen on any page here, it clearly says No spittin', no swearin', no politics. This site is PG-13 and we need to keep it clean. Arlo and Menyak have given us this site to use for free and it is their wish to keep this clean. It's is the mods job to make sure that if it says no swearin', that's exactly what it means.

We need to look out for the Cafe on a whole. If someone sees your topic or other bad language, they might run with it and then a freefall starts.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:24 am

bboy wrote:As the recipient of a yellow card I would say this: any language that is assessed by the mods as 'objectionable' should be take in context.

I posted a topic "ESPN is s***" and recieved a yellow card. This was in response to ESPN cocking up another live draft. Would it have been the same if I had said "ESPN is crap". If so the difference is subjective.

Surely a word must be taken in context. If I had said "FBC user is s***" well maybe :-?

In New Zealand a few years ago there was a compaint over a television ad for Toyota which used the word 'bugger'. The complaint was that 'bugger' meant sodomy. The Broadcasting Complaints Authority said that despite its historical meaning the word had now passed into accepted language and was not offensive and basically 'bugger' meant 'damn it' in NZ.

In NZ I have heard the word 'wanker' used at least twice by a leading politician in the media. I have also heard the s*** used repeatedly in US TV shows plus other words normally deemed worse.

My point is that the mod who yellow carded me might have been a bit precious. I really cannot believe that my topic title caused offence or was offensive.

Oh well

I'm as anti-censorship as they come, but we have rules here. No swearin'.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby JTWood » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:15 am

I get what you're going for here. I have a couple of suggestions:
  1. Whenever anyone uses the word "Bonds", it should replace it with "Sir Walks A Lot".
  2. Whenever someone uses the word "Yankees", it should replace it with "The Finest Cheese Money Can Buy".
  3. Whenever someone uses the word "Red Sox", it should replace it with "Second-Finest, But Still World-Champion, Cheese That Money Can Buy".
  4. Whenever someone uses the word "Drew", it should replace it with "Bench Monkey".
  5. Whenever someone uses the word "A-Rod", it should replace it with "Slappy McSlap 'N Stuff".
  6. Whenever someone uses the word "Sosa", it should replace it with "The Corkster".
  7. Whenever someone uses the word "Pujols", it should replace it with the ESPN formal pronunciation, "Poo-Holes".
Those are the kind of suggestions you wanted, right?

I like this idea!

:-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby DieHardCubbie » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:24 am

Nine months.....almost like giving birth to something new.... :-b
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:09 am

JTWood wrote:Whenever someone uses the word "Pujols", it should replace it with the ESPN formal pronunciation, "Poo-Holes".

Great One ;-D
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:12 am

kingctb27 wrote:
JTWood wrote:Whenever someone uses the word "Pujols", it should replace it with the ESPN formal pronunciation, "Poo-Holes".

Great One ;-D

Agreed but it seems like most people here always spell it Puljos. :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:16 pm

Menyak said the F word like twice!! I read it at the beggining of this post!!!

Oh god I think my computer is eating itself
j/k
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk