Are these two worth keeping? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Are these two worth keeping?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Are these two worth keeping?

Postby terpfan » Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:24 pm

Are Shannon Stewart and Aramis worth it any more? I'm in an 8 team league with 25 player rosters. These two have frustrated me with thaeir injuries and then total lack of production. (Aramis is one for his last one hundred!)

Will either of them get better. Everyone says they will but I dont see it coming. Their trade value is non existant in my league and the other owners make fun of me for holding onto them. :,-( Am I just getting my hopes up or will these guys round back into form?

I could pick up Randy Winn, Cameron, Salmon, Encarnacion, Finley, Eckstein, Dave Roberts, Conine, or Corey Patterson.

By the way, my team is posted on a past link entitled "My Team - Outfield Help" (no is still havent done any trade, partly because of my problems with these two...)
terpfan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:50 pm

I just realized that Edgar Martinez is available as well. Hmmm....
terpfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby timkell » Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:59 pm

Finley looks like he's got one more year left in him. He's been great. I don't know if I'd drop Aramis. Third is touch to replace with quality, and he should come around. That's a tough call. I would probably drop Stewart though.

You are in an 8 team league, so there should be plenty of outfielders out there. You can always rotate until you find a keeper. Cameron is ice cold right now, but follow him. He's streaky, so as soon as you see a glimmer of heat, pick him up and ride the four week storm of output he will bring. Then drop him like a bad habit!

Salmon's been doing pretty well, if you'd rather get an outfielder than Finley. Maybe pick up both and drop your wekeast pitcher and Stewart?
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby terpfan » Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:14 am

Rich Aurilla is also available. I hesitate to pick him up because I would then have no back up OF in a daily roster change league...

Aramis hit a homer yesterday. Maybe he will finally break out of his slump! :->

I'm very happy with my pitchers and would like to keep them all:
Pedro, Curt, Glavine, Zito, Wade Miller, Milton, Prior, Ramon Ortiz, Padilla, Hoffman, Nen, and Mesa.

Anymore opinions on who to drop/pick-up?
terpfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby terpfan » Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:21 pm

Well I dropped Shannon and also Kevin Brown (I have a feeling he wont be back) and picked up Phil Nevin for my open DL spot and Dave Roberts. Tim Salmon and Steve Finley were both picked up before I got to them :-[ , but i like what Roberts has been doing so I'll take it.

Good moves?
terpfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:07 pm

Yes, good moves. Your rotation is already stellar, so Brown won't be missed too much, and Nevin could pay big dividends.

I agree with timkell's advice; keep an eye on Patterson, as well - he has the tools to be tremendous, and he'll put it together eventually. It may not be this year, but if it is, you want to be there.

Roberts is doing nicely, but don't get too attached to him - this slot may well fluctuate as you exploit hot or cold streaks and matchups.

;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:35 pm

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I considered Patterson too. Actually I will probably just drop Roberts in order to activate Manny (soon I hope :-D ) But until then the slot will be a revolving door! ;-D
terpfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby timkell » Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:06 am

Update on Ramirez. This may change things for you, depending on your league. You have an 8 team league, so it may be time to drop him. Sorry if I steered you wrong! I didn't know it was this bad!

Aramis Ramirez - 3B, Pittsburgh Pirates Jun. 18, 8:39 p.m.
Despite speculation last week that Ramirez was hurting so badly he was headed to the DL, manager Lloyd McClendon said such a move makes no sense because a short layoff won't help Ramirez. According to McClendon, doctors said Ramirez needs 6-8 weeks to properly heal. "Maybe it's a good learning experience for him and will make him a better player," McClendon said.
Fantasy Spin: That has to be one of the nuttier quotes of the year. Lloyd apparently thinks if an injury is keeping you from running, fielding and hitting, it's better for your development if you "gut things out." In keeper leagues, bench Aramis until further notice. In shallow leagues, cut him loose. (David Srinivasan/TSN)
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:39 am

Thanks for the heads-up. That's, um, strange news. I have to agree with David Srinivasan here - if the facts are as stated, McClendon's quote makes no sense whatsoever. I wonder what the Pirates brass thinks of this attitude? If this should become something approaching team policy, I'd be more than a bit worried about other Pirates youngsters (and they have some nice ones in the minors).

And as a Ramirez owner, in single-year as well as keeper leagues, I'd be pretty worried.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:33 am

Yeah, I just read that quote (my league is Yahoo). Oh well, his stay is up, but who to replace him? Actually I could replace him with Manny and keep Roberts (or whoever happens to be in that spot)
terpfan
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers