Interesting piece on Ensberg, Miles, and Rose... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Interesting piece on Ensberg, Miles, and Rose...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Interesting piece on Ensberg, Miles, and Rose...

Postby warrick95 » Mon May 17, 2004 10:44 am

The three were robbed at gunpoint (along with some other ballplayers) four years ago at Spring Training at Kissimmee. Anyway, the two talked about how they were really scared that their life was going to end there, etc, etc. I feel sorry for them if that is what happened. That kind of experience is really horrifying.

Now, what interests me, is that Anthony Williams, one of the robbers, declined interview but wrote to ESPN that that was not a robbery in the first place, but a drug deal gone bad. There was no evidence found in the rooms that would link the players to drugs, but what would Williams have to gain by lying? He's already serving a life sentence anyway. So, I really must say that I lean towards Williams' side of the story. Furthermore, he gets a life sentence for armed robbery? Umm...I thought the sentence was quite a bit less for something like that. Any legal experts to shed some light on this?

Anyway, due to this incident, we can also conjecture two reasons of Ensberg's random absence at Spring Training this year. He could've been getting therapy for this (four years ago, but this type of memory does not go away), or, if Williams' story holds up, he could've been at rehab. I'm just speculating, but that could be the case.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Baseballer02 » Mon May 17, 2004 11:08 am

The robber didn't say that the players (ensberg, Miles, forget) HAD drugs, he said that baseball players were a great SOURCE of drugs. The robbers held the players at gunpoint and searched for drugs not because they knew that the players would have them, but because they assumed they would.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby benjapage » Mon May 17, 2004 11:16 am

williams didn't get life for armed robbery. he had already been in jail before (for i don't know what...) but miles was saying that while the cops were surrounding the place that williams kept repeating "i won't go back to jail". so, there's probably more to it.

also, the other guy (whom they apprehended a month later) says that he had seen those ballplayers before in previous drug-transactions. this guy also claims he was innocent of the robbery.

who knows? i'm sure that a lot of these players occasionally partake of some herbage, but picturing morgan ensberg with a needle in his arm, or snow up his nose, is not an easy image to conjure--which is not to say that it hasn't happened...i mean, i have trouble believing that my parents ever had sex, but, well--you know...

in any case, scary incident. hard-core drugs = bad. violence = bad. stealing = bad. kind of random that this story came out just now, though, eh?
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby warrick95 » Mon May 17, 2004 11:35 am

Baseballer02 wrote:The robber didn't say that the players (ensberg, Miles, forget) HAD drugs, he said that baseball players were a great SOURCE of drugs. The robbers held the players at gunpoint and searched for drugs not because they knew that the players would have them, but because they assumed they would.

I didn't say that the robber said that they had drugs...I said that it was a drug deal gone bad...the players weren't the source, they were the buyers, apparently, according to Williams.

Ah...I thought Williams meant that he had been in jail for other things. I guess this was his third strike, or he escaped or something.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby warrick95 » Mon May 17, 2004 1:13 pm

Now I know why Morgan is hated by Jimy...Anthony Williams is Jimy's son from a black mother! Since Ensberg & friends were responsible for his son getting sent back into jail for life, he will always hate Ensberg! Notice how Miles and Rose are not even Astros anymore...

Would make a much better conspiracy theory if Williams wasn't such a popular name. :-[
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers