Vernon Wells - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Jester » Tue May 18, 2004 12:54 pm

Its not only Wells, Carlos' numbers are terrible for his standards too...the biggest concern for me as a Jays fan is people are getting on base for both of them right now...and they are doing nothing...my fear is that when they do turn it around, and everyone knows they will, there will be nobody on base any more.
Image
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 506
Joined: 30 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In SKYDOME, thats right, SKYDOME

Postby EK711 » Tue May 18, 2004 12:59 pm

Geek wrote:The bottom line is that decent pitchers can get him out whenever they need to.


I can see that you're obviously down on Wells, but I still have faith in the guy. Last I checked Curt Schilling was a decent pitcher, and Wells has gone 4 out of 10 against him this year with a homerun as one of those hits. Not a good sample size by any stretch of the imagination, but still shows that the guy can compete with the best. I agree with Kolbsaves on this one. I'm not giving up on Wells yet. Bad starts are hard to take from your players, but giving up on good players can come back to bite you later on. I'm an optimist on most players so I view what has happened in this month as a sign of a turn around.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 1451
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Akron, Ohio

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 18, 2004 1:13 pm

I would love to have Wells on my team. The kid can hit, I don't see any Burrell in him.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

my take

Postby JOEG » Tue May 18, 2004 2:05 pm

My take coming from a Twins fan and Wells owners

Watched the game last night, his double was a so-so grounder down the line that a good 3B would of probably had. (Cuddyer is average at best). Also with two on in the ninth, he took 5 pitches for a strikeout not even taking the bat off his shoulder and looking almost petrifid. Not a good sign for a #3 hitter. Then in two previous AB's he came up hacking at bad pitches and poped up on one and then K'd ugly on the other.

The one good sign was we walked him to load the bases to face Delgado with 2 outs! Shows a sign of respect I guess.

In the end I am very disappointed about his year, but am optimistic about his recovery. REMEMBER the cardinal rule of FB - never trade a guy that is slumping!!! Or trade for a guy on a hot streak! To many people are looking to trade this guy or Huff?
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 812
Joined: 2 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Geek » Tue May 18, 2004 3:22 pm

slomo007 wrote:I would love to have Wells on my team. The kid can hit, I don't see any Burrell in him.


Except that Burrell is twice as good this year.

I haven't traded him yet 'cause no one's interested.

Trading him is kind of a moot point, because he and Huff have already killed my team for the year. Right now I'm just trying to decide if I should package him in a deal to upgrade my keepers.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2447
Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KolbSaves » Tue May 18, 2004 3:24 pm

the year is a quarter over with, I don't think anyone can be too far out at this point, especially with those two guys who should rebound
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3477
Joined: 10 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit, MI

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue May 18, 2004 3:25 pm

I would want to have him as one of my keepers. ;-D
Image
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 6480
Joined: 6 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Swiping second

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 18, 2004 3:40 pm

If you look at Wells' stats from last year, he only had a .246 average in April, though he did hit 5 HRs. He started heating up in May, and was really hot from June-September, but his best power months by far were June and July (8 in each).

This tells me that he could turn it on very soon, but the scary thing is that in the last two months the season last year, he hit a total of 5 HRs in 54 games (though had a .340+ average). So it looks like his lack of power has carried over.

I wouldn't worry too much though, if nothing else I have faith that he will hit with a very high average, and still drive in a lot of runs and score a lot of runs hitting where he does in a very good Blue Jays lineup.

I realize that most people didn't draft him to be a average/RBI machine because they want the HRs, but give him time. He's still young and will find his stroke. What you don't want is for him to think too much about his lack of power, and make up for it by swinging harder (like Burrell did). He needs to realize his strengths/weaknesses and use them to his advantage, whatever they may be, and only he knows that.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Geek » Tue May 18, 2004 4:31 pm

slomo007 wrote:If you look at Wells' stats from last year, he only had a .246 average in April, though he did hit 5 HRs. He started heating up in May, and was really hot from June-September, but his best power months by far were June and July (8 in each).

This tells me that he could turn it on very soon, but the scary thing is that in the last two months the season last year, he hit a total of 5 HRs in 54 games (though had a .340+ average). So it looks like his lack of power has carried over.

I wouldn't worry too much though, if nothing else I have faith that he will hit with a very high average, and still drive in a lot of runs and score a lot of runs hitting where he does in a very good Blue Jays lineup.

I realize that most people didn't draft him to be a average/RBI machine because they want the HRs, but give him time. He's still young and will find his stroke. What you don't want is for him to think too much about his lack of power, and make up for it by swinging harder (like Burrell did). He needs to realize his strengths/weaknesses and use them to his advantage, whatever they may be, and only he knows that.


He's THIRTY RBI's off his pace from last year, already.

That stat about the power dropoff from last year is revealing--that's 8 HR's in his last 83 games.

It appears his start from last year is the fluke, not this year's performance.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2447
Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue May 18, 2004 4:35 pm

Geek wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I would love to have Wells on my team. The kid can hit, I don't see any Burrell in him.


Trading him is kind of a moot point, because he and Huff have already killed my team for the year. Right now I'm just trying to decide if I should package him in a deal to upgrade my keepers.


They have already killed your entire season? And now you are looking forward to next year? Jeez, it's May. If your season is ruined now then you really need some help.
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact