Vernon Wells - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

vernon wells

Postby Eightan » Mon May 17, 2004 11:49 pm

don't worry about wells, he's starting to come around, good hitters take some time to adjust to big league pitching, and it's a long season... hell i'm trying to convince some clown to trade me delgado or nevin... ;-D
you can't live the dream, if you don't play the game
Eightan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Quaker » Tue May 18, 2004 12:30 am

Wells is hitting .383 in May

Has a 10 game hit streak
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Geek » Tue May 18, 2004 11:32 am

Might as well hold 'em. Nobody in their right mind is going to give pre-season value for him. That said, he could be in for a Pat Burrell type of year. The lack of power is really disturbing, and makes one wonder about those steroid rumors.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby EK711 » Tue May 18, 2004 12:18 pm

Jack-In-A-Box wrote:He's been doing ok lately. Like the past 7,8 games he's hitting alot better. In an interview with him earlier in the month he said the reason he's off to a slow start is because he's been swinging at pitches outta his zone trying to make things happen because of the funk the Jays are in. He stated that he's concentrating more at only swinging at his pitches in his zone which has contributed to his recent little turnaround. I'd say give him more time. I am. I've had numerous offers for him. All low-ball offers because of the numbers so far.. but everyone knows what he's capable of now. No way you should unload him right now. Value is to low.

I agree with Jack's opinion on this one. As for the steroids thing I think they're unfounded. The guy is still relatively big and I dug up this old blurb I rembered reading on Wells from Rotoworld regarding his weight:

Rotoworld.com wrote:Feb. 20, 2004 - 1:54 pm et

Vernon Wells, who said he had weight he could afford to lose, dropped 20 pounds during the offseason.
In the past, a player who showed up at camp looking noticeably slimmer than the year before would receive a nice article about himself in the local paper. In 2004, however, it's accusations of steroid use that he'll face instead. "I've never ever seen a steroid," Wells said when asked. "I've never taken a steroid." Blue Jays hitting coach Mike Barnett backed him up. "From a physical standpoint, he's leaner," Barnett said. "He has lost weight around his middle. To me, his upper body and his legs are the same size as a year ago."
Source: Toronto Sun

The year of the steroid has probably put a bad spin on what could have been considered a good thing. Add an early season slump into the mix and I think Vernon has gotten a bad rap. This article also has some good discussions on why Vernon lost the weight, and the little talk about sex with his wife at the end got a snicker from me. If Wells would not have gotten off to a slow start there'd be no discussions about steroids and his weight. I think Jack still hit the nail on the head though. IMO the steroid rumors are just that... Rumors. ;-)
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Geek » Tue May 18, 2004 12:23 pm

EK711 wrote:
Jack-In-A-Box wrote:He's been doing ok lately. Like the past 7,8 games he's hitting alot better. In an interview with him earlier in the month he said the reason he's off to a slow start is because he's been swinging at pitches outta his zone trying to make things happen because of the funk the Jays are in. He stated that he's concentrating more at only swinging at his pitches in his zone which has contributed to his recent little turnaround. I'd say give him more time. I am. I've had numerous offers for him. All low-ball offers because of the numbers so far.. but everyone knows what he's capable of now. No way you should unload him right now. Value is to low.

I agree with Jack's opinion on this one. As for the steroids thing I think they're unfounded. The guy is still relatively big and I dug up this old blurb I rembered reading on Wells from Rotoworld regarding his weight:

Rotoworld.com wrote:Feb. 20, 2004 - 1:54 pm et

Vernon Wells, who said he had weight he could afford to lose, dropped 20 pounds during the offseason.
In the past, a player who showed up at camp looking noticeably slimmer than the year before would receive a nice article about himself in the local paper. In 2004, however, it's accusations of steroid use that he'll face instead. "I've never ever seen a steroid," Wells said when asked. "I've never taken a steroid." Blue Jays hitting coach Mike Barnett backed him up. "From a physical standpoint, he's leaner," Barnett said. "He has lost weight around his middle. To me, his upper body and his legs are the same size as a year ago."
Source: Toronto Sun

The year of the steroid has probably put a bad spin on what could have been considered a good thing. Add an early season slump into the mix and I think Vernon has gotten a bad rap. This article also has some good discussions on why Vernon lost the weight, and the little talk about sex with his wife at the end got a snicker from me. If Wells would not have gotten off to a slow start there'd be no discussions about steroids and his weight. I think Jack still hit the nail on the head though. IMO the steroid rumors are just that... Rumors. ;-)

The fact remains that he lost 20 lbs of muscle and as a result he lost bat speed and power. He's not even stealing bases. So, one wonders why he lost that weight--it did him no good in any area of his game.

As far as his batting in May is concerned, all he's getting is a bunch of meaningless singles. He's not a productive player.

He also can't hit right-handed pitching to save his life.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Tue May 18, 2004 12:28 pm

6 of his 24 hits in May (that's 25%) are doubles
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Geek » Tue May 18, 2004 12:37 pm

KolbSaves wrote:6 of his 24 hits in May (that's 25%) are doubles

Plus two home runs that still equals only 1/3 of his hits going for extra bases, compared to 40% last year.

Also, Hudson and Catalanato are getting are getting on base all the time for him, and he has a lousy 9 RBI's to show for it. It's nice that he's getting his average to where it looks respectable, but he's still one of the 4-5 least productive #3 hitters in MLB.

He's a classic case of one of those players who will go Pat Burrell if you keep him and David Ortiz if you trade him or release him.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Tue May 18, 2004 12:42 pm

He's slugging .563 in May which is higher than last year's season total of .550
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Geek » Tue May 18, 2004 12:45 pm

KolbSaves wrote:He's slugging .563 in May which is higher than last year's season total of .550

And if you're playing OPS or slugging percentage, that's great. Otherwise, no homerun power + no rbi's + no runs scored + no stolen bases=one mediocre outfielder, in fantasy and real life.

The bottom line is that decent pitchers can get him out whenever they need to.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Tue May 18, 2004 12:50 pm

My point was that his skill hasn't fallen off and his rbi and hr numbers should improve because his slugging pct seems to have bounced back after a lousy April.
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers