Kruk is a MORON, yet again. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kruk is a MORON, yet again.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon May 17, 2004 10:24 am

Longhorns76 wrote:I miss Buck Schowalter...he knew it all and did his job as a journalist very well.

TV nowadays isn't about good journalism but its about entertainment. If ESPN was a sports monopoly of TV then we would see what our diehards want to see. That is simply good analysis and stats. But with Fox Sports trying to compete with ESPN, ESPN feels that they have to cater to what Fox Sports tries to do, which is a funny and entertaining TV (sometimes). Sometimes espn does it and it works (for instance when John Clayton and Sean Salsbury banter back and forth) and sometimes it doesn't (like John Kruk and Harold Reynolds). ESPN doesn't have to go after the same exact market that Fox Sports goes after. Fox Sports should try to do what ESPN had been doing for years until sports talk became sports entertainment.

Good points. I would love to see a sports channel that catered to something other than general entertainment. There is obviously an entire group of ahrder fans of sports that do not need people like Kruk or Irvin to give them entertainment. To the real sports fans, these people are simply obsolete. Give me highlights and good, intelligent analysis and I'll watch. If I want to laugh Ill watch Comedy Central.

I hope someone in ESPNs hierarchy realizes this soon. Hiring guys like Kruk is a big mistake. Let the network channels bring new fans into the fold - if you are the channel for expert sports coverage, than be that.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby perlick29 » Mon May 17, 2004 2:13 pm

totally agreed with the points made so far. Here are two more names of people that should be kept off the air: Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless. The better someone else's point is, the louder they yell to shut them up. I absolutely hate these guys. Sensing a trend here? These guys were both on Fox first before being shoved out the door to ESPN. So was Kruk and so was Irvin. Any thoughts on the next two in the line of idiots?
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 17, 2004 2:17 pm

You all need to remember that ESPN exists because it gets ratings. While I agree that Kruk is quite possibly the worst baseball analyst in history, he adds entertainment to the show, and believe it or not, any publicity is good publicity for cable networks.

Notice how many people in this thread alone are talking about it, yet we all still watch it regularly? Think of it like a car-wreck, and we're the rubber-neckers.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby EK711 » Mon May 17, 2004 2:18 pm

perlick29 wrote:Any thoughts on the next two in the line of idiots?

Even though he amuses me, I like seeing his suits, and I don't think he's a complete iditot, Deion Sanders didn't resign with CBS because of money issues.... I think he'll probably end up somewhere else. :-?
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby big shot » Mon May 17, 2004 2:26 pm

i think it is now safe to say, its time to bring back rush limbaugh
big shot
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon May 17, 2004 2:29 pm

They should have RJ on the set to throw a brush back every time that he opens his fat mouth.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby frog99 » Mon May 17, 2004 2:41 pm

let's all agree to celebrate the fact John Kruk doesn't have a vote in the Cy Young award.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby KULCAT » Mon May 17, 2004 5:19 pm

perlick29 wrote:totally agreed with the points made so far. Here are two more names of people that should be kept off the air: Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless. The better someone else's point is, the louder they yell to shut them up. I absolutely hate these guys. Sensing a trend here? These guys were both on Fox first before being shoved out the door to ESPN. So was Kruk and so was Irvin. Any thoughts on the next two in the line of idiots?

Stephen A. Smith was sports answer to Spike Lee. Ive never seen a guy who tries so hard too look like a Mac daddy. I keep waiting for the day he´ll lose it and call a sports anchor his BITCH
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby HOOTIE » Wed May 26, 2004 12:36 am

frog99 wrote:let's all agree to celebrate the fact John Kruk doesn't have a vote in the Cy Young award.

Sadly, there are still writers greatly influenced by wins when voting Cy. Wins in a given year can be greatly skewed by many factors. Over time, things balance out, but in one year, a 5-6 win swing can occur really by luck. SNW (Support Neutral Wins) and SNL (Support Neutral losses) have showed this.

Kruk is a country boy (WV), who spent his career drinking and being a character. ESPN wants 3 different personalities on the show. BB knowledge is a afterthought. Kruks averge guy behavior, appeals to the average fan. His statements are nuts. Tim Kurjian is the guy who knows his ****.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

no one

Postby JOEG » Wed May 26, 2004 12:59 am

Kruk is a thousand times better then the cast of idiots TNT has put together to do the Wolves/Lakers series....
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers