Waiver Mongering --- any clues? HELP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Waiver Mongering --- any clues? HELP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JamesBond007 » Sat May 15, 2004 8:45 pm

[quote="agchris02"]To Bond:

That's his arguement too, but hes not doing anything to improve his team, nor is he being ethical (I see nothing wrong if he kept these players)

quote]

well, if i get all this straight, you other guys are complaining because you can't pick up 2-start pitchers, whom you use for that week then drop the next week in order to pick up pitchers with 2 starts that week. Doesn't that sound like "streaming"?
This practice is also frowned upon in all the H2H leagues i've ever been in. Just because it only happens once a week instead of daily doesn't mean it isn't streaming. Streaming is a technique used in order to circumvent the system and gain an advantage. If you guys can do it , why can't he?
-----J
JamesBond007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Sat May 15, 2004 8:48 pm

JamesBond007 wrote:[

well, if i get all this straight, you other guys are complaining because you can't pick up 2-start pitchers, whom you use for that week then drop the next week in order to pick up pitchers with 2 starts that week. Doesn't that sound like "streaming"?
This practice is also frowned upon in all the H2H leagues i've ever been in. Just because it only happens once a week instead of daily doesn't mean it isn't streaming. Streaming is a technique used in order to circumvent the system and gain an advantage. If you guys can do it , why can't he?

because they actually use the players they pick up to improve the stats of their team... their primary concern is NOT to prevent others from picking up a player.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JamesBond007 » Sat May 15, 2004 8:50 pm

matmat wrote:
because they actually use the players they pick up to improve the stats of their team... their primary concern is NOT to prevent others from picking up a player.

So you advocate streaming as an ethical practice then?
-----J
JamesBond007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby matmat » Sat May 15, 2004 9:01 pm

JamesBond007 wrote:
So you advocate streaming as an ethical practice then?

sure. it improves your stats and is not detremental to the performance of other teams.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby EK711 » Sat May 15, 2004 9:05 pm

This looks like IS MY STRATEGY UNFAIR all over again. :-/
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat May 15, 2004 9:06 pm

JamesBond007 wrote:
agchris02 wrote:To Bond:

That's his arguement too, but hes not doing anything to improve his team, nor is he being ethical (I see nothing wrong if he kept these players)

quote]

that strat of getting all good hitting then getting 2 start pitchers every week wins every H2H league known to man. Its legal, but what he was doing is called roster churning, which isnt cool at all. Hes doing it for the sole purpose of preventing everyone else from using these players. Which is totally unfair and unethical. "Streaming" is a great, but bland strategy that is used by every good H2H player. I find it boring and makes a draft pretty meaningless, which is why I prefer Roto far ahead of H2H. Better measure of how you picked your team.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Sat May 15, 2004 9:08 pm

EK711 wrote:This looks like IS MY STRATEGY UNFAIR all over again. :-/

yeah.
excapt there the strategy was fair and here it isn't.
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat May 15, 2004 9:12 pm

No, no. This is completely different.

He's solely picking up the players so the other teams don't get them.

This is ILLEGAL. This is not a grey area. It's cheating, flat out.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby EK711 » Sat May 15, 2004 9:18 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:No, no. This is completely different.

The original post is different than the "IS MY STRATEGY UNFAIR???? thread".... But the dialogue was straying towards the use of spot starting pitchers in H2H, as in "IS MY STRATEGY UNFAIR".

I agree that the original post topic, picking up players so others can't get them is illegal and unfair. While "streaming" is just frowned upon by many.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat May 15, 2004 9:20 pm

EK711 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:No, no. This is completely different.

The original post is different than the "IS MY STRATEGY UNFAIR???? thread".... But the dialogue was straying towards the use of spot starting pitchers in H2H, as in "IS MY STRATEGY UNFAIR".

I agree that the original post topic, picking up players so others can't get them is illegal and unfair. While "streaming" is just frowned upon by many.

Understood.

Just to be clear: This is cheating. Show the rules to the person, talk to the league, whatever, but this person is cheating.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers