screw you bonds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

screw you bonds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Tragically misguided

Postby Madvillain » Sun May 16, 2004 3:32 am

AdvRider wrote:
I live in S.f. The reason Bonds is having difficulty is because the CHEAP owner MAGOWAN (backstabber!) invested in the likes Of Jeffrey Hammonds & Dustin Mohr. Puh-leeeeeze !!

I also live in SF, if that's supposed to mean something. The Giants have the ninth highest payroll in the game. I would love it if they could raise it more, but you seriously can't call Magowan cheap when they are in the top 33% in payroll. Think about ALL the fans whose crying would be more justified than yours. And they have a $25M mortgage.

Sabean is overrated though.
Madvillain
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Sun May 16, 2004 5:11 am

wrveres wrote:
nmarq8 wrote:if people are gonna compare barry to ruth and mays he should act in a manner of that standard.

so Barry should cheat on his wife, and get drunk almost every night like the Babe?

Yeah, I imagine the modern press would let him get away with that .. ;-7

I was just going to say something to that extent :)
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nmarq8 » Sun May 16, 2004 5:28 am

BobbyRoberto: you're right, i'm not there. but it seems a little too coincidental that he gets "back spasms" amidst the worst slump of his career and when his team can't buy a win. again, i have no problem with him doing poorly right now, it's normal for everyone to go through things like this, but he's acting like a primadonna. he's made it clear though that he's very frustrated with his team's performance, and back spasms seem like an easy way out. oh yeah, and comparing him to pujols and a-rod... come on, pujols is a chronic slow starter and we all know how a-rod has had trouble dealing with the transition to the bronx.

wrveres: ...good one. if i was trying to make light of these player's offseason antics, i'd say it. i was obviously talking about how mays and ruth would never cry like the little baby that bonds is when their teams aren't doing too hot and fake injuries. and what's so bad with the babe getting drunk every night. let his #'s speak for themself. at least he played in his games. maybe that's what bonds needs, but he probably knows the mixture of alcohol and potency of steroids in his system might kill him. or at least balco has told him that.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby matmat » Sun May 16, 2004 6:12 am

nmarq8 wrote:BobbyRoberto: you're right, i'm not there. but it seems a little too coincidental that he gets "back spasms" amidst the worst slump of his career and when his team can't buy a win. again, i have no problem with him doing poorly right now, it's normal for everyone to go through things like this, but he's acting like a primadonna. he's made it clear though that he's very frustrated with his team's performance, and back spasms seem like an easy way out. oh yeah, and comparing him to pujols and a-rod... come on, pujols is a chronic slow starter and we all know how a-rod has had trouble dealing with the transition to the bronx.

wrveres: ...good one. if i was trying to make light of these player's offseason antics, i'd say it. i was obviously talking about how mays and ruth would never cry like the little baby that bonds is when their teams aren't doing too hot and fake injuries. and what's so bad with the babe getting drunk every night. let his #'s speak for themself. at least he played in his games. maybe that's what bonds needs, but he probably knows the mixture of alcohol and potency of steroids in his system might kill him. or at least balco has told him that.

i think this was mentioned before, but didn't ruth basically play though hangovers?

Please help me.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Sun May 16, 2004 6:14 am

KULCAT wrote:
hybrid wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:If barry bonds wouldnt have been walked 200 times the past 2 years, he prolly would have hit 60 homers in each of those years. Thats why the homerun total came back down to earth. Just as a disclaimer I believe Bonds took steroids so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

2000: AB's - 480 HR's - 49
2001: AB's - 476 HR's - 73
2002: AB's - 403 HR's - 46
2003: AB's - 390 HR's - 45

well he had 4 less at bats in 2001 but had 24 more hr's. in 2002-2003 he only had 70 to 80 less at bats but 27 and 28 less hr's. to me that doesn't support your theory of the reason he didn't have monster years was less at bats. he only had about 80 less at bats.

73 at bats and 86 at bats seems enough for Barry Bonds to hit 20 more homers a season

look at the pace he was at in those years. basically 11 hr's every 100 at bats. so at that pace he wouldn't of hit 10 more in 70 to 80 so at bats. the only time he had a better hr/per AB ratio was...you guessed it the big hr year.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thetruth » Sun May 16, 2004 6:55 am

this thread is a brutality.
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eftda » Sun May 16, 2004 12:31 pm

Madvillain wrote:
AdvRider wrote:
I live in S.f. The reason Bonds is having difficulty is because the CHEAP owner MAGOWAN (backstabber!) invested in the likes Of Jeffrey Hammonds & Dustin Mohr. Puh-leeeeeze !!

I also live in SF, if that's supposed to mean something. The Giants have the ninth highest payroll in the game. I would love it if they could raise it more, but you seriously can't call Magowan cheap when they are in the top 33% in payroll. Think about ALL the fans whose crying would be more justified than yours. And they have a $25M mortgage.

Sabean is overrated though.

Sabean is no overrated.. he made the Giants who they are. (Remember the Giants have not had a losing season since he beacme the SF GM).

as for he payroll: The Giants got the 2nd most amount of money last year (2nd to the Yankees) and their owner put it in his pockett. The Giants and Yankees are set up the same wasy, they have 10 owners but the difference is, is that the Yankees invest the money back into the team and the Giants keep the money.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun May 16, 2004 1:00 pm

Giambi is out today with "back spasms," he must be a prima donna, in the middle of a slump, a crybaby, etc....
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Amazinz » Sun May 16, 2004 1:23 pm

eftda wrote:as for he payroll: The Giants got the 2nd most amount of money last year (2nd to the Yankees) and their owner put it in his pockett. The Giants and Yankees are set up the same wasy, they have 10 owners but the difference is, is that the Yankees invest the money back into the team and the Giants keep the money.

Unless you're like Boras :-D and don't believe the published reports, SF was 7th in team revenue. They brought in $153M and they spent (between payroll and operating costs) $152.3M. Leaving them with $0.7M.

Here's a Link.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PacBellParker » Sun May 16, 2004 1:44 pm

The problem is that the Giants are still funding their own stadium. That puts a big drain on revenues.

Also, the Alfonso contract was a huge blunder. And the Giants are paying loads of cash to Nen, who is not contributing. Ths is where all the money goes -- not into Macgowan's pocket.

As for the original poster's complaints about Bonds, come on -- he's a Dodgers fan, what do you expect? The last time the Dodgers were a good team (remember way back when?), I used to absolutely and irrationally hate Piazza, the Dodgers poster boy. What I don't understand is why a Dodgers fan would draft Bonds (or if auto-drafted why he wasn't traded immediately). Clearly, it causes him pain to have Bonds on his roster, even when Bonds is tearing it up.
PacBellParker
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers