Bronson Arroyo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bronson Arroyo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bronson Arroyo

Postby This is the year » Sat May 15, 2004 2:51 pm

He's pitching a 3-hit shutout thru 6 innnings against the Jays. 6K's on the day too. Think he's a decent pickup?

I have Contreras sitting on my bench, I was thinking of dropping him. Any info? Here's my lineup

10 team, 5x5, Head to Head Yahoo League
(Daily lineup changes)

C Jason Varitek
1B Aubrey Huff
2B Marcus Giles
SS Edgar Renteria
3B Hank Blalock
OF Vladimir Guerrero
OF Carl Crawford
OF Shawn Green
Util Morgan Ensberg
Util Corey Patterson
DL Garret Anderson

SP Pedro Martinez
SP Josh Beckett
SP Matt Morris
RP Francisco Cordero
RP Troy Percival
P Rich Harden
P Carl Pavano
P Danny Kolb
BN Woody Williams
BN Derek Lowe
BN Jose Contreras
BN Terry Adams
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jpbusta » Sat May 15, 2004 2:58 pm

Drop contreras for him. :-D
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Sat May 15, 2004 2:59 pm

I have Arroyo (picked him up last week)....and he is battling the flu today, and hasn't started for so long, and he's facing a hot Toronto offense, so I figured nothing good could come out of today so I benched him. :~(
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby brdmaverick » Sat May 15, 2004 3:47 pm

I am a biased Red Sox fan, so I started him despite all the red flags. Usually my biased decision get me in trouble, but today was a case in which it paid off.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Sat May 15, 2004 3:52 pm

Yeah, it definitely is not cool to see 8 IP, 6 Ks, 0.0 ERA, and 0.38 WHIP sitting on my bench. I could have REALLY used a good outting.

Oh well, even though it would have been somewhat self satisfying to see him blow up, deep down I'm happy he's on my roster after seeing today's game. I think he'll be the 5th starter for a while after today.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat May 15, 2004 7:45 pm

All the numbers say Kim should be better but he's a head case. Arroyo could keep that job all year if he keeps this up.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dice » Sat May 15, 2004 11:10 pm

I'm a big Arroyo booster, but his job security is not set in stone. This could be a sell high point.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat May 15, 2004 11:31 pm

I don't think the Red Sox have any confidence in Kim at this point. The fans hate him. I could see a trade with Oakland in the offing. Theo and Billy are on good terms and Oakland could use someone in the bullpen.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby thehat » Sun May 16, 2004 5:04 am

I kind of like Arroyo, and think the Pirates made a mistake cutting him loose. He's got excellent control, a live enough fastball, and a nice hook. 83-44, 3.80 lifetime in the bushes is not bad at all, and he showed well last season in a handful of relief appearances for the Red Sox. The fact that he walks very few batters is a big plus from a WHIP standpoint, in that while he's likely to have plenty of 6 IP, 4 ER types of outings, he won't murder your WHIP in those starts. Nice deep league or AL only stab.

As for Kim, he's history in Boston. He was on shaky ground after his late '03 meltdown, and his reaction to being demoted to Pawtucket was likely the finish. He'll be traded a.s.a.p. and I suspect the Sox don't care what they get in return.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby FF Newb but Lovin it » Sun May 16, 2004 9:17 am

I have watched him pitch...I really like the guy. He is young so he might hang one over the plate...but he is a guy you want on the mound. Think of how much Derek Lowe need to have everything working for him.....if one double play ball gets through...or he is pitching a few days later then he was supposed to etc. the guy struggles. Arroyo...just shrugs it off like good pitcher should and starts on the next batter. I like this guy a lot and I think he would be great for a keep em league. And I think he is good for 10+ team leagues as a number 5 pitcher.

The game I saw him last year was the game the sox could have clenched a playoff birth. Mr Burkett gave up some ungodly amount of runs in the first inning. Arroyo came into a VERY hostile Boston crowd and pitched very well. Then he did what he did againct the yankees. For a number five guy, that is very nice to have a tough young kid on the mound like that.

If someone hadn't swooped him up I would have grabbed him.
FF Newb but Lovin it
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers