pitching strategy question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

pitching strategy question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

pitching strategy question

Postby Cooner » Sat May 15, 2004 1:05 pm

(somewhat long)

Ok, so I'm having some real issues at reliever, and I'm curious what you guys think about strategy here...

I'm in an 8 team roto league on yahoo, pitching catagories are Wins, Saves, WHIP, ERA, pitching roster is:

SP R Johnson
SP C Schilling
RP Dotel
RP Borowski
P Rhodes
P Wolfe
P M Morris

BN Kip Wells
BN Lowe

The problem is this- I'm getting killed in saves (I have 12, 2nd to last has 18, 1st has 32) but I'm leading the league in ERA and Whip by a hair, my ERA is 3.30 to 3.33 2nd place, my WHIP is 1.19 to 1.20, and generally, the race is fairly close in both catagories halfway down the league. My starters have been great, with generally low ERA and WHIP, and I'm happy with Dotel, but my other closers are absolutely killing me. Rhodes and Borowski have ERAs of 4.20 and 6+ with WHIPS of 1.8 and 2+ respectively. And they frankly aren't getting the saves either. I've been trying to lure away a star closer (as I've got plenty of batting talent) but have had no success, even with offers like Mora/Ichiro for Foulke to a guy with no bats, etc.

So, I'm wondering if I should try to pick up a good middle reliever, toss Rhodes or Borowski on the bench and cut the other, bag the saves catagory and try to hold onto ERA and WHIP. I am currently in 3rd place, but will probably be in 2nd soon (my bats have had a very bad week and the guy who overtook me for 2nd has had a very nice week, but i've been ahead of him all season til now) and have been trading back and forth with the current leader for first place most of the season so far. He's starting to give up on SBs, and I should win that catagory, so I think I would be ok with trading him saves for SBs, assuming I could win ERA/WHIP that way.

What do you think?

Thanks for reading that long post, and thanks for the advice.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Sat May 15, 2004 1:32 pm

First of all, your RPs have combined for 19 saves so far, but you have only 12 so I guess you benched them or picked up one recently. In an 8-team league, you're not going to do well with only 3 closers no matter who they are. If your closers were Wagner, Foulke, and Smoltz you would have 23 saves (4 more than you currently have). You need at least 4 closers to be competitive. Even if it's all bad closers.

Is trading for an elite closer really worth it when your ERA and WHIP are pretty solid despite having bad closers? No.

Look at the waiver wire. Is Koch there? Is Adams there? Maybe try Betancourt.

P.S. Mora/Ichiro for Foulke is not a good offer.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Cooner » Sat May 15, 2004 1:57 pm

yeah, I had mantei/dotel earlier, and picked up Borowski and Rhodes at various times. No one else is playing 4 closers, everyone has 3. And my ERA/WHIP could be a couple points lower with a decent closer. In my leagues ERA/WHIP catagories, a couple points is the difference between winning the catagory and 5 points, and winning those catagories is necessary to keep me competitve for the lead.

I'm really just afraid that 2 or 3 closers (not counting Dotel) with ERAs in the 4+ and WHIP in the 1.8+ is gonna end up dropping me out of the top of those catagories, which basically ends any chance of a championship.

even if i could pick up a point or two in saves by playing 4 closers and playing catchup, it's not worth dropping several spots in the other catagories to do so.

maybe i'm just being dumb here by thinking that 2 or 3 bad closers are gonna drop my team's era/whip by several points, but i'm new at this. keep the advice coming!
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Sat May 15, 2004 2:04 pm

Most closers with a 4+ era don't have the job very long. I wouldn't be worried about what those numbers read just yet. If you want to secure a top closer, then go for it. Don't punt the catagory though. If the league is competitive in the least, you will not win if you finish last in a catagory in roto ball.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers