The inigma that is Jose Mesa - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The inigma that is Jose Mesa

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The inigma that is Jose Mesa

Postby GSes » Sat May 15, 2004 12:58 am

Just got the Giants 1-2-3 with a strikeout to earn his 10th save in 10 chances. I purposely avoided Joe Table like the plague this year b/c of what he did too me last year and almost casuing me to go to the hospital after many heartattaks.

Anyways, I watched him take down the giants as I have not seen him pitch all season and all I keep saying is pretty soon the real jose mesa will stand up and he will implode.

Mesa looked good out there, I can;t believe I just said that but its true, he got ahead in the counts and was throwing strikes. Can anyone possibly explain why Mesa has been perfect so far? I mean this is the guy who picked up 30 saves last year w/ an ERA of like 7.

I dont kno wut to say except that before the season I would have bet anyone that Mesa would not be 10/10 in save opps.

What a strange world we live in.

Mesa & graves 2 of the top fantasy closers???

Cant last, it just cant, its not possible.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The inigma that is Jose Mesa

Postby chinch sacs » Sat May 15, 2004 1:03 am

GSes wrote:
I dont kno wut to say except that before the season I would have bet anyone that Mesa would not be 10/10 in save opps.

Well hindsight is 20/20 as they say

GSes wrote:What a strange world we live in.

Mesa & graves 2 of the top fantasy closers???

Cant last, it just cant, its not possible.

God, I hope not, I have Gagne, B. Wagner and Rhodes and I'm in second in Saves... WTF?
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat May 15, 2004 1:17 am

Nope...won't last....Graves will be traded..and the real Mesa will show up.....I hope... :-o
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Sat May 15, 2004 9:55 am

There is no reason it won't last for both of them. Graves is not the dominant type that people are gonna want to trade for, the team that makes a deal for graves at mid season is throwing money away basically. He's a solid but not great guy that had a bad year last year because they tried to make him a starter. Reason he's so high in saves is simply they've had a lot of save situations. Mesa was a great closer in 2001 and 2002, he blew up in 2003 for whatever reason but looking over a 3 year stretch I'd say I do not expect him to blow up and become useless. He's old enough that people most likely won't try to trade anything useful for him mid season either.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Tue May 25, 2004 11:45 pm

All of our drafts were done conference call. Closers were getting thin, and i announced Mesa as my pick. I can remember the chuckles, and ribbing i took. Was kind of funy. It's even funnier now. Go Jose.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby NZF » Wed May 26, 2004 12:06 am

HOOTIE wrote:All of our drafts were done conference call. Closers were getting thin, and i announced Mesa as my pick. I can remember the chuckles, and ribbing i took. Was kind of funy. It's even funnier now. Go Jose.

How are your Sleeper Starting Pitchers going that you tipped out :-?

Meche :-t

Weaver :-t

Affeldt :-t

Contreras :-t

I'll give you credit for Sheets but 1 out of 5 is a take that sucks pretty badly.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Wed May 26, 2004 1:21 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:All of our drafts were done conference call. Closers were getting thin, and i announced Mesa as my pick. I can remember the chuckles, and ribbing i took. Was kind of funy. It's even funnier now. Go Jose.

I'll give you credit for Sheets but 1 out of 5 is a take that sucks pretty badly.

I guess i missed your sleeper calls? :~(
Did you make any?

I listed guys who were real reaches. Certaintly the success rate on sleepers isn't going to be high. I also had Oliver Perez and Peavy, although i think Peavy is too well known to be a sleeper. Perez and Sheets are worth the other misses to me. Weaver was a bad choice. Don't throw the towel in yet on Contreras. Affeldt and Mecha arent as bad as their start. Peavy, Perez, Mesa, Sheets are doing great for me. Contreras, Affeldt aren't. Meche and Weaver i did not draft.

Btw, my earlier Mesa comment was just some good ribbing by my friends. I guess you want to turn it into something personal? Do me a favor? Next year, please list me 6-7 deep sleepers. Then start throwing stones.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby NZF » Wed May 26, 2004 2:06 am

HOOTIE wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:

I guess i missed your sleeper calls? :~(
Did you make any?

I listed guys who were real reaches. Certaintly the success rate on sleepers isn't going to be high. I also had Oliver Perez and Peavy, although i think Peavy is too well known to be a sleeper. Perez and Sheets are worth the other misses to me. Weaver was a bad choice. Don't throw the towel in yet on Contreras. Affeldt and Mecha arent as bad as their start. Peavy, Perez, Mesa, Sheets are doing great for me. Contreras, Affeldt aren't. Meche and Weaver i did not draft.

Btw, my earlier Mesa comment was just some good ribbing by my friends. I guess you want to turn it into something personal? Do me a favor? Next year, please list me 6-7 deep sleepers. Then start throwing stones.

Weaver and Contreras deep sleepers 8-o Do me a favour.

Weaver pitched with a hell of alot of success in the majors as far back as 2000.

FYI I did mention my SP sleepers on this site in March (not 3 weeks into the season)

Jake Peavy ;-D

Horacio Ramirez ;-D

Jon Garland ;-D

Eric Du Bose ;-D

Kurt Ainsworth :-t

that's 4 from 5 that are well worth drafting.

That is a take that certainly didn't suck
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rkiivs » Wed May 26, 2004 9:24 am

Realistically, I feel getting one true sleeper out of 5 is not too bad. You have to figure how many players get termed 'sleeper' then see how many actually come through. That's not a whole lot. The last two years I've only managed 1 good sleeper per season and I feel good to get that.

Back on topic: yeah, who can explain Mesa and not hold his breath everytime he trots in? He's on my team and I just hope if his implosion comes then I hope it's later rather than sooner.

Graves, I feel is the real thing although he is doing much better than projected at the front of the season.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby trac02 » Wed May 26, 2004 10:11 am

Continuing the sleeper picks topic here:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=64939
Oliver Perez watch

3-3, 3.74 ERA, 1.15 WHIP in 10 starts

23 BB, 8 HR and 72 K in 65 IP (9.97 K/9)

2 complete games, 1 shutout
trac02
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers