100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vidro to sign an extension

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vidro to sign an extension

Postby KPucks » Fri May 14, 2004 11:19 pm

Friday, May 14, 2004

Associated Press
PHOENIX -- Jose Vidro is close to signing a $30 million, four-year contract extension with the Montreal Expos.

"Last week, everything worked out very good," the All-Star second baseman said Friday night before the Expos' game against Arizona. "It should be done pretty soon."

Vidro, eligible for free agency after the season, told his agents earlier this year not to call unless the deal was completed. The sides have agreed on the dollars but are still negotiating language.

"If it's done it's done," Vidro said. "If not, I'll just keep playing."

Vidro has spent his entire seven-year career in Montreal, becoming the Expos' player with the longest current tenure. The three-time All-Star is hitting .262 with a team-high four homers and 13 RBIs.

He is completing a $19 million, four-year deal he signed in 2001.

Vidro entered Friday's game fifth on the Expos' career list in doubles (241), sixth in runs (482), seventh in hits (973) and ninth in RBIs (424).

"As long as I keep wearing this uniform, I'm going to be faithful to it," Vidro said. "I hope to stay here. I hope for the team to get an owner. I hope for us to get a stadium. I hope for a winning team. Those are the only things that have been in my mind. I don't want to think about playing for another team."

KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jpbusta » Fri May 14, 2004 11:20 pm

Damn, I was hoping for him being traded to Yankees. Oh well, I hope everett comes back soon so the Expos can maybe start producing some numbers. :-D
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri May 14, 2004 11:26 pm

Good news. I hate to see the 'spos lose all their players.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri May 14, 2004 11:48 pm

Finally the Expos make a solid move.... :-°

Thanks Bud... }:-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sat May 15, 2004 12:29 am

jpbusta wrote:Damn, I was hoping for him being traded to Yankees. Oh well, I hope everett comes back soon so the Expos can maybe start producing some numbers. :-D

Who says this wont happen? The way that I see it, it makes both L.Hernandez and Vidro more likely to be traded. Teams know that they'll have a quality player for more than just this year. So when they give something up to get either of these players they can rest a little easier knowing they wont have to fix that hole next year because he's already locked into a contract. Hopefully they'll stay Expos- everyone likes cheering for the lil guy- but I wouldnt at all be surprised to see either of them moved now that they've got the numbers worked out.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Xpoz win world series

Postby x27man » Sat May 15, 2004 4:35 pm

How can the 'Spoz sign Vidro? Big Bud gave the approval? Where did they get the money? He can't even give money to his daughter losing her ass on the Brewers in the USA! That sure is love. I hope 'Spoz fans love this move...somebody get in touch with him and tell him. I'd love to see Xpoz have a miracle World Series championship run, and have Big Bud award the trophy to himself...
x27man
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Zito is God » Sat May 15, 2004 4:38 pm

Well, I HOPE that his bad numbers are because he was scared of not getting an extension and now that he did he hits .500 or something. :-)

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 15, 2004 4:48 pm

Jack-In-A-Box wrote:
jpbusta wrote:Damn, I was hoping for him being traded to Yankees. Oh well, I hope everett comes back soon so the Expos can maybe start producing some numbers. :-D

Who says this wont happen? The way that I see it, it makes both L.Hernandez and Vidro more likely to be traded. Teams know that they'll have a quality player for more than just this year. So when they give something up to get either of these players they can rest a little easier knowing they wont have to fix that hole next year because he's already locked into a contract. Hopefully they'll stay Expos- everyone likes cheering for the lil guy- but I wouldnt at all be surprised to see either of them moved now that they've got the numbers worked out.

It depends on what Vidro wants now. From what I understand, he can't be traded this year w/o his consent because he is in the first year of the contract.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sat May 15, 2004 7:30 pm

He probably does have a no trade clause in his contract. But you've seen others say in the past they wanna remain with a team and not want to be traded. But when you look at the Expos situation.. no owner, not sure where they're gonna play in '05, team sucks.. Vidro may think that some stability and the chance to play for a championship caliber team may be a better way to go. Its a shame when you look back at how good this team used to be to what they are now. I'd give Vidro some mad props if he stayed put with the Expos despite all the uncertainty surrounding that franchise.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 15, 2004 7:42 pm

It's not a no-trade clause per say. It's just a built-in safety feature into new contracts. I wouldn't doubt that Vidro would approve a trade (say to the Yankees) but if the Expos were seriously considering trading him I don't think they would have inked this contract which gives him power over the move. That's like tying one hand behind your back before going into a fight. :-) If the contract was a concern for the receiving team they would do a "sign & trade" as opposed to going about it like this.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers