I need to win this year please help ! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

I need to win this year please help !

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I need to win this year please help !

Postby tristan_brown » Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:47 pm

ok i'm in a yahoo fantasy point based league and theres 9 teams
the scoring goes
(Batters): Runs (1)Hits (1)Singles (1) Doubles (2) Triples (3)
Home Runs (4) Runs Batted In (1) Stolen Bases (1)
Caught Stealing (-1) Walks (0.5) Intentional Walks (0.5)
Hit By Pitch (1) Strikeouts (-1) Ground Into Double Play (-2)
Errors (-1)
(Pitchers): Innings Pitched (3) Wins (10) Losses (-5)
Complete Games (10) Shutouts (10) Saves (10) Hits (-1)
Earned Runs (-1) Home Runs (-2) Hit Batters (-1) Strikeouts (2)
Holds (3)

ok now here is my team the fielders especially the infielders are weak so dont laugh
C Kendall, Jason (C-Pit)
1B Durazo, Erubiel (1B-Oak)
2B Alomar, Roberto (2B-NYM)
3B Rolen, Scott (3B-StL)
SS Rollins, Jimmy (SS-Phi)
LF Jones, Chipper (LF-Atl)
CF Griffey Jr., Ken (CF-Cin)
RF Sheffield, Gary (RF-Atl)
OF Erstad, Darin (CF-Ana)
IF Dunn, Adam (LF, 1B, RF-Cin)
Util Burks, Ellis (DH-Cle)

Bench Furcal, Rafael (SS-Atl)
Bench Finley, Steve (CF-Ari)
Bench Hidalgo, Richard (RF-Hou)
Bench Huff, Aubrey (DH, 1B-TB)
Bench Martinez, Edgar (DH-Sea)
Bench Lofton, Kenny (CF-Pit)
Bench Crede, Joe (3B-CWS)

SP Mussina, Mike (SP-NYY)
SP Oswalt, Roy (SP-Hou)
SP Morris, Matt (SP-StL)
RP Stewart, Scott (RP-Mon)
RP Mantei, Matt (RP-Ari)
P Brown, Kevin (SP, RP-LA)
P Prior, Mark (SP-ChC)
Bench Armas Jr., Tony (SP-Mon)
Bench Kim, Byung-Hyun (RP-Ari)

thanks
tristan_brown

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby pizzaboy76 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:03 pm

Two words for you Pitching and Power.

If you can try to trade speed for power. But I don't think you need to much help there. You would have to give up a ton to upgrade at SS. Maybe try to upgrade at 1B.

Your pitching looks very solid. Your have 34very solid pitchers that should get you a ton of wins and some complete games as well. Your RP is OK, maybe try to get a Gagne or Smoltz.

If this particular answer was helpful to you, click here.
(You can click on none or multiple replies in your thread.)
pizzaboy76
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tristan_brown » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:04 pm

if you want to know i'll say whose on the WW too if it will help
tristan_brown

Postby tristan_brown » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:06 pm

i think i could use a lance berkman in my lineup
tristan_brown

Postby tristna_brown » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:06 pm

by pitching do you mean relievers?
tristna_brown

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:39 pm

Your SP is EXTREMELY strong. With your scoring system, you want inning eaters, guys on winning teams, and strikeout pitchers (it's a 10 pt diff b/t a guy who throws 3K/g vs 8K/g!) Your top 4 SP will give you this, plus Brown could be a great wildcard. If necessary you you can trade one of them for a closer or a stud HR/RBI guy. A top closer with 40+ saves will get you a ton of pts in a pt based league. Don't count on CG too much, even the best only get 3-5/yr.

As for your offense...in a league like yours where you lose points for K's, this is very important to look at. Downgrade a guy like Dunn who will strike out 150 times, upgrade a guy like Sheff and Erstad who will only K 65 times. Not sure how you feel about Kendall, but he only struck out about 30 times last year - compare that to an equiv player who struck out 80 times and you get an extra 50 pts for Kendall.

You have a lot of guys who could be good, some (Alomar) more likely than others (Rollins). SB are of little value, so as a previous poster said, dump your speed if you can. Your OF situation is interesting, cos Griffey could falter once again or he could hit 40HR, a lot of sources say the latter is quite possible. either way a 30/100 yr is extremely likely.

Durazo is another guy who could be a godsend for you or could frustrate you when he goes on the DL in May.

I wouldn't go for a guy like Berkman yet since it may provide you with a logjam in the OF. See about upgrading Rollins or even Durazo if you are itching to make a deal.

whoson1st0

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:40 pm

Your SP is EXTREMELY strong. With your scoring system, you want inning eaters, guys on winning teams, and strikeout pitchers (it's a 10 pt diff b/t a guy who throws 3K/g vs 8K/g!) Your top 4 SP will give you this, plus Brown could be a great wildcard. If necessary you you can trade one of them for a closer or a stud HR/RBI guy. A top closer with 40+ saves will get you a ton of pts in a pt based league. Don't count on CG too much, even the best only get 3-5/yr.

As for your offense...in a league like yours where you lose points for K's, this is very important to look at. Downgrade a guy like Dunn who will strike out 150 times, upgrade a guy like Sheff and Erstad who will only K 65 times. Not sure how you feel about Kendall, but he only struck out about 30 times last year - compare that to an equiv player who struck out 80 times and you get an extra 50 pts for Kendall.

You have a lot of guys who could be good, some (Alomar) more likely than others (Rollins). SB are of little value, so as a previous poster said, dump your speed if you can. Your OF situation is interesting, cos Griffey could falter once again or he could hit 40HR, a lot of sources say the latter is quite possible. either way a 30/100 yr is extremely likely.

Durazo is another guy who could be a godsend for you or could frustrate you when he goes on the DL in May.

I wouldn't go for a guy like Berkman yet since it may provide you with a logjam in the OF. See about upgrading Rollins or even Durazo if you are itching to make a deal.

Postby tristan_brown » Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:11 am

thanks for the help. i think i could use an upgrade at 1B also... do you think my team has a chance at winning this year?
tristan_brown

Postby whoson1st0 » Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:47 pm

Hard to say without seeing the other rosters....but with any fantasy team, you have to keep an eye on all players at all times. It's been my experience that leagues are won by the guys picked up duirng the year before anyone else knows about them.
e.g. the winner of our league last year picked up gagne 1 hr after our draft. he ended up being the #2 player pt wise in the league.
I picked up Ibanez when people thought I was stupid to do so...didn't help me win the league but he did help me keep my head above water (I had lost 3/4 of my rotation to injuries).
And know what trades to make...try to get stud players when they are slumping, give up players you have that you feel are playing over their head...

bottom line is, if you're asking if you can win the whole thing with your team the way it is, i would say NO. But i would prob say that to any team in your league.

If this particular answer was helpful to you, click here.
(You can click on none or multiple replies in your thread.)
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tristan_brown » Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:04 pm

what players do you think are going to be playing above their heads this year on my team
tristan_brown

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team