Rate my trade or just give opinions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rate my trade or just give opinions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate my trade or just give opinions

Postby AirTimid » Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:09 am

I just traded:

Randy Johnson
Omar Daal
Octavio Dotel
Chad Hermansen
Brad Ausmus

FOR

Mark Prior
Josh Fogg
Vladimir Nunez
Jim Edmonds
Michael Barrett

I feel I did pretty well. I'm in a 5x5 Yahoo, non-keeper, NL only league. Pitching categories are W, K, Sv, ERA and Whip. Batting categories are Avg, HR, SB, RBI, and R. My pitching overall is 1st or 2nd in the league, but i'm second last in hitting. I hated to part with Randy, but I felt getting Prior, Fogg and Nunez would give me more roster flexibility. Here's how I broke down the trade. Randy for Prior, Fogg and Nunez. Thus, I got Edmonds and Barrett for Daal, Dotel, Hermansen and Ausmus. Daal was killing me, Dotel was only good for K's and I really didn't have any faith in Hermansen or Ausmus. Assuming Edmonds gets back soon, I feel I did pretty well in this trade. Let me hear your comments.
AirTimid
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Sat Jun 15, 2002 8:07 pm

I've been thinking about this, and I'm not really sure whether it's good or not. It's certainly a very interesting trade, though. This seems like one of those deals you'll point to all winter long as the one that made or broke your season, but it's hard to tell which it will be.

On the one hand, you traded away Johnson, quite possibly the best player available (or at least one of the best), and you didn't receive a true marquee player in return. Lots of folks in your situation would have looked for a single star hitter plus change in such a deal.

On the other hand, you were able to deal quite a bit of dead weight for some players who will contribute, you spread your injury risk around nicely, and you snared Prior, who could put up some very impressive numbers this summer.

In a sense, the key here might be Edmonds: if his injury leaves lingering effects, you won't really have addressed your main needs; if he comes back at full steam, you'll have taken a big step toward making up ground in hitting.

Another big question is what you intend to do with the pitchers you received. Do you plan on shipping them for bats (Prior might bring huge gains), or will they fill the hole left by Johnson?

I've gone back and forth between liking and disliking this trade several times since starting this post; at the moment I think it could work out well, although this trade itself might only be a first step on the way.

I'd love to hear some other opinions here...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chuckr37 » Sat Jun 15, 2002 8:28 pm

I tend to agree with Arlo on all points. I'd say the trade is a 50-50 crap shoot. One thing though, Johnson has been pitching for 14 years now and with the exception of 96 has really never been down with an injury. He has always had chronic minor aches and pains in his back. If the wheel of misfortune lands on Randy's number between now and the end of the year, you'll look back and thank your lucky stars you made this trade.
chuckr37
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AirTimid » Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to ship Johnson, but I wanted more roster flexibility. I basically gave up 1 superstar for a handful of good/unproven players. It's a risk because Johnson is pretty much a "sure thing", conversely Johnson only accounts for 1 roster spot on my team. I had to fill some other needs, specifically relief pitching and hitting. I had Omar Daal as a RP, Ausmus was my starting catcher and Hermansen and Dotel sat the bench. Now, I can plug all three pitchers I received into my lineup, and I feel it's now better overall then it was before the trade. Also, I now have 3 legit closers in Nunez, Alfonseca and Wagner. That's HUGE in an NL only league. I probably don't have a chance at winning the category, but I can still finish 3rd. The X factor to this trade is Edmonds. He was on fire before the injury, and now i'm hoping it's not all that serious. I'm very happy with my roster as it is right now. I just need my players to start playing to their potential, and for the injury bug to hit another owner and stay away from me.
AirTimid
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby uanap » Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:11 am

I'll be the first to say it, but I dont like this trade at all. You said it yourself, you traded a superstar for good/unproven players. I dont play in an NL only league so my view may be scewed, but I dont think you want to gamble too much on unproven players. I admit, you do have roster flexibilty, but I think you couldhave goten more for Randy.

Also, heres a piece of advice that may help you. I have never traded anyone away because they might get hurt. Thats overthinking youself and overthinking can be disastrous in fantasy baseball. I've also never been one to trade for a injured player either. I just dont want my season to hinge on "If so-and-so gets back then......."

Good luck though, I hope it works out for you. And as a dback fan I really hope nothing happens to Randy. Knock on wood.
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers