Very simple, best pitcher of this group? one word answers ok - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Very simple, best pitcher of this group? one word answers ok

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KULCAT » Sat May 15, 2004 4:36 pm

Melo255 wrote:
KULCAT wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
KULCAT wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Another aspect that nobody has mentioned yet is bullpens. Mulder has Rhodes trying to protect his leads :-P Meanwhile, Moose has this dude named Rivera? 8-o

That explains the complete games :-D

Complete games mean almost nothing in a standard 5x5 roto league. I don't frankly care if my pitcher goes 7 IP or 9 IP as long as they get the win. Actually, if they only pitch 7 IP, that is more innings I can use later.

Actually if a an SP goes 7 and allows 3er, 6h and 3bb his ERA and WHIP will be worse than if he had pitched 9 so it does mean something specially with a guy like Mulder who despite not playing August had 9cg

Hate to jump into my own post but I couldn't resist. I think Slomo has a good point. For simplicity let's say one pitcher goes 7 innings 0er 7ks and a win while another goes 9 innings 0 er 9ks and the win and this is fairly consistent with their performances year round I'd take the 7 inning pitcher for one reason, more wins. The 9ip guy is great but he is also using up 2 extra innings an outing and over the course of a season the 7 ip guy will give you lets say 5-6 extra starts if you have an IP limit and with era and k per ip being equal the 7 ip guy will then add on a few more wins. Very unscientific I know but based on everything else being equal less innings pitched per win seems more beneficial in a standard league with and innings pitched limit.

Its a good theory but I think it just means you get 2 quality innings over the guy who pitches 7. Wich means somebody else sits those 2 innings wich coulve been terrible for both your ERA and WHIP.
If another of your SP´s gets hammered the 9 inning guy reduces your team ERA and WHIP in a more drastic way that 7 inning guy so you get better in 2 categories and maybe lose a couple of wins.
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Sat May 15, 2004 4:37 pm

mulder
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby KULCAT » Sat May 15, 2004 4:38 pm

Longhorns76 wrote:Mulder

You all can have Mussina and his 5 earned tonight with the win for all I care. His 5+ ERA doesn't thrill me.

The tides change pretty quickly around this site
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby john gardner » Sat May 15, 2004 5:22 pm

Webb... he's awesome . and young.With Prior out he's next.
john gardner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat May 15, 2004 5:23 pm

Mock Mowda'
(Mark Mulder)
Ridgerunner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby phr3ak » Sat May 15, 2004 5:24 pm

Moose is on decline.. Mulder is younger and on the rise and with the best talent. If he hadnt injured himself last year we would been Cy Young.
phr3ak Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Re: ...

Postby ashay21 » Sat May 15, 2004 6:51 pm

phr3ak wrote:Moose is on decline.. Mulder is younger and on the rise and with the best talent. If he hadnt injured himself last year we would been Cy Young.

Exactly...he's an injury risk. Moose all the way.

And for all you guys stating Mulder is better because of Moose's 5+ ERA don't know what you are talking about. Your judging him on 9 starts?

He'll give you more K's than Mulder as well.

Two years from now my choice might change...
ashay21 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Quaker » Sat May 15, 2004 10:27 pm

I've got Mulder, Mussina, Miller, andMillwood all on the same team. I like them in that order.

I have C Zambrano on that team as well, and right now I'm liking him best :-)
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Sexy » Sat May 15, 2004 11:56 pm

Mulder, Webb, Moose.
"Live well, this is not a rehersal"
Big Sexy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thetongueofire » Sun May 16, 2004 1:35 am

KULCAT wrote:
Melo255 wrote:
KULCAT wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
KULCAT wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Another aspect that nobody has mentioned yet is bullpens. Mulder has Rhodes trying to protect his leads :-P Meanwhile, Moose has this dude named Rivera? 8-o

That explains the complete games :-D

Complete games mean almost nothing in a standard 5x5 roto league. I don't frankly care if my pitcher goes 7 IP or 9 IP as long as they get the win. Actually, if they only pitch 7 IP, that is more innings I can use later.

Actually if a an SP goes 7 and allows 3er, 6h and 3bb his ERA and WHIP will be worse than if he had pitched 9 so it does mean something specially with a guy like Mulder who despite not playing August had 9cg

Hate to jump into my own post but I couldn't resist. I think Slomo has a good point. For simplicity let's say one pitcher goes 7 innings 0er 7ks and a win while another goes 9 innings 0 er 9ks and the win and this is fairly consistent with their performances year round I'd take the 7 inning pitcher for one reason, more wins. The 9ip guy is great but he is also using up 2 extra innings an outing and over the course of a season the 7 ip guy will give you lets say 5-6 extra starts if you have an IP limit and with era and k per ip being equal the 7 ip guy will then add on a few more wins. Very unscientific I know but based on everything else being equal less innings pitched per win seems more beneficial in a standard league with and innings pitched limit.

Its a good theory but I think it just means you get 2 quality innings over the guy who pitches 7. Wich means somebody else sits those 2 innings wich coulve been terrible for both your ERA and WHIP.
If another of your SP´s gets hammered the 9 inning guy reduces your team ERA and WHIP in a more drastic way that 7 inning guy so you get better in 2 categories and maybe lose a couple of wins.

agree completely... in a more simpler sense, if you wanna consider both Mulder and Mussina- theyre both obviously above av. fantasy pitchers. its also a given that Mulder will throw more innings (barring injury). and assuming that they end up with the same exact numbers, therefore the guy with more IP (Mulder) will have more of the "above average" affect on your team. them being above av. means that if you leave those 2 IP for someone else, chances are that the "someone else" is worse than them and more often than not will give you worse numbers for the extra 2 innings than Mulder would. ;-)
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers