Very simple, best pitcher of this group? one word answers ok - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Very simple, best pitcher of this group? one word answers ok

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KULCAT » Fri May 14, 2004 4:35 pm

slomo007 wrote:
KULCAT wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
KULCAT wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Another aspect that nobody has mentioned yet is bullpens. Mulder has Rhodes trying to protect his leads :-P Meanwhile, Moose has this dude named Rivera? 8-o

That explains the complete games :-D

Complete games mean almost nothing in a standard 5x5 roto league. I don't frankly care if my pitcher goes 7 IP or 9 IP as long as they get the win. Actually, if they only pitch 7 IP, that is more innings I can use later.

Actually if a an SP goes 7 and allows 3er, 6h and 3bb his ERA and WHIP will be worse than if he had pitched 9 so it does mean something specially with a guy like Mulder who despite not playing August had 9cg

But if he pitches 9 innings, chances are good he'll allow a few more hits and maybe an ER or two more. You can't just assume that the extra two innings will be perfect innings.

True, you can also get more k´s. It depends on the perfomance. but its cd definitely have their effect.
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Melo255 » Fri May 14, 2004 4:42 pm

KULCAT wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
KULCAT wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Another aspect that nobody has mentioned yet is bullpens. Mulder has Rhodes trying to protect his leads :-P Meanwhile, Moose has this dude named Rivera? 8-o

That explains the complete games :-D

Complete games mean almost nothing in a standard 5x5 roto league. I don't frankly care if my pitcher goes 7 IP or 9 IP as long as they get the win. Actually, if they only pitch 7 IP, that is more innings I can use later.

Actually if a an SP goes 7 and allows 3er, 6h and 3bb his ERA and WHIP will be worse than if he had pitched 9 so it does mean something specially with a guy like Mulder who despite not playing August had 9cg

Hate to jump into my own post but I couldn't resist. I think Slomo has a good point. For simplicity let's say one pitcher goes 7 innings 0er 7ks and a win while another goes 9 innings 0 er 9ks and the win and this is fairly consistent with their performances year round I'd take the 7 inning pitcher for one reason, more wins. The 9ip guy is great but he is also using up 2 extra innings an outing and over the course of a season the 7 ip guy will give you lets say 5-6 extra starts if you have an IP limit and with era and k per ip being equal the 7 ip guy will then add on a few more wins. Very unscientific I know but based on everything else being equal less innings pitched per win seems more beneficial in a standard league with and innings pitched limit.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jpbusta » Fri May 14, 2004 5:22 pm

Miller! :-D
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GSes » Fri May 14, 2004 6:43 pm

Mulder
Mussina

Miller
Webb

Millwood
Pettite
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nmarq8 » Fri May 14, 2004 6:56 pm

moose is showing his age...

statistically i think mulder's better, and you guys can argue in circles about the statistics between these two forever, but if i were an actual mlb manager i'd rather have mulder as a part of my staff.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Fri May 14, 2004 7:01 pm

assron wrote:pettite

:-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri May 14, 2004 7:02 pm

If they were all on the WW and I could only pick 1, it would be Mulder. That might change in 3 or so hours, though. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby thetongueofire » Sat May 15, 2004 12:48 am

slomo i never said the AL West was a "bad" offensive division. i just said that it was "inferior" to the AL East. ;-)

anyways, it seems like some we're talking tooooooo much about wins, which is belive it or not, one of the four cats that a SP contributes towards in a standard 5x5 roto. its also happens to be arguably the most "lucky" cat too involving more intangibles than any other cat. anyways, im not sure exactly how relevant this is today but did anyone notice that in the past 3 three years Mulder has had a significantly better w% and one more 20 win season than the Moose has had in his entire career. :-b all this despite pitching for the worse offensive team all the time.

anyways if you wanna look at anything other than wins, their whip is really close (but this year i expect Mulder to have a slightly better whip but it can still go either way), Mulder should end up with the better ERA, and Ks which in the past wouldve easily gone to Mussina but with his decreased velocity and everything else hes going through it'll be closer even though he should still come out on top. but heres an important thing to consider- Mulder threw 9 CG and 186 innings last year in 26 games compared to Mussina's 2 in 31 starts. one can safely assume that since Mulder will throw more innings (even more so cos of the weak pen and Mussina will see himself taken out earlier cos of how good that pen is) .so he'll have a more positive effect on your teams pitching stats. and thats prolly why i dont completely accept the IP argument earlier in the thread- id gladly take the extra two shutout innings with 2 Ks added in rather than reserving it for someone else whos prolly not as good just for a chance to get more "wins."

aanyways its prolly pretty close for me to decide the better FBB pitcher on the basis of stats and specific decisions might depend on what your staff needs but what kinda makes it a lil easier for me is how Mussinas looked until now which isnt too encouraging.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Puban666 » Sat May 15, 2004 2:26 am

Mulder
Puban666
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Longhorns76 » Sat May 15, 2004 3:03 am

Mulder

You all can have Mussina and his 5 earned tonight with the win for all I care. His 5+ ERA doesn't thrill me.
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers