Shouldn't it be an earned run? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shouldn't it be an earned run?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Shouldn't it be an earned run?

Postby it'sbeenawhile » Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:50 pm

If the pitcher is the fielder who commits the error which leads to the run, shouldn't it still be considered an earned run? (Not in the sense that the team earned it, but more so that it hurts the pitchers' statistics. It seems that's the only reason they have the ER statistic anyway) See- Juan Acevedo's 10th innning throw away of a pickoff that led to the Expos winning run

And also, what is/are the criteria for a save? I've had this explained to me before but can't seem to figure it out. My understanding is that the opposing team must be within three runs and/or the tying run must be at the plate in the instance that an opposing team has the bases loaded and is down by 4 runs. Can someone clarify?

And on a good note, the Halladay/Tejada trade I made is paying huge dividends. Tejada has already had 2 HR's since and Halladay lost today against the Giants.

Just thought I'd share that,
Shreeps
it'sbeenawhile

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby EugeneStyles » Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:15 pm

IIRC, the criterion for a save is that the closer must be ahead by no more than 3 runs, if you count all runners in scoring position as already scored. That is, 3 runs if no one in scoring position, 4 runs if a runner on second or third, 5 runs if a runner on second and third. Is that right? That's what I've always thought the criteria were. *shrug*
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:49 am

Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:
(1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
(2) He is not the winning pitcher; and
(3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
(a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
(b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces); or
(c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings.
No more than one save may be credited in each game.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jungle Bookie » Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:32 pm

What does "effectively" mean?
Jungle Bookie
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Arlo » Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:29 am

The official scorer makes this judgment, I believe, but I'm not sure if there are any official criteria.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

effectively

Postby Bulldog » Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:47 pm

This just means that if he gets the nine outs. If a guy pitches three innings and closes the game out then he probably has pitched "effectively."
Bulldog

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers