The Greatest Right-Handed Pitcher of alltime - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

The Greatest Right-Handed Pitcher of alltime

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Greatest Right-Handed Pitcher of ALLTIME?

Walter Johnson
38%
Pete Alexander
2%
Christy Mathewson
5%
Roger Clemens
22%
Pedro Martinez
10%
Greg Maddux
7%
Tom Seaver
7%
Bob Gibson
9%

Total votes : 58

Postby frog99 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:47 pm

K's are important, but it is not that much greater than a groundball, "No one ever Ked into a doubleplay." Strike outs also mean the pithcer has to throw more pitches and can't go as deep into a game, it has down side.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:14 am

frog99 wrote:K's are important, but it is not that much greater than a groundball, "No one ever Ked into a doubleplay." Strike outs also mean the pithcer has to throw more pitches and can't go as deep into a game, it has down side.

Well I don't think K's are important whatsoever, but your points don't really back my opinion up. THey aren't important because they're already factored in. No matter how you do it, the idea is to allow as few runs as possible. That should be the only crieria you base pitchers on; how good they were at allowing as few runs as possible. Of course, to understand how good a pitcher is at allowing as few rusn as he does, you have to consider how he compares to other pitchers of his era, as well as how many IP he pitches. The deeper a guy pitches into a game, the harder it is to keep your ERA low. K's have absolutely nothing to do with ranking pitchers. Somebody mentioned that K pitchers allow the ball to be put inot play less often, which therefore means less chances for errors and therefore unearned runs. But that idea was shot down when I looked at the 4 best K pitchers of this generation and compared them to the 4 worst K pitchers who are actually good (4 I could think of; I believe Moyer, Radke, Maddux, and somebody else). It showed that, in that instance, there is not a positive correltaion between K's and less UER's. Pitchers with more K's actually allowed MORE unearned runs than those who don't throw a lot of K's. ERA+, amount of unearned runs relative to yuor teams defense, and amount of IP per start are the only factors to be taken into consideration when judging pitchers as far as I'm concerned.

I stick by my opinion that K's are meaningless in ranking pitchers. I've yet to see a valid argument of why they should be considered.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:02 am

LBJackal wrote:
frog99 wrote:K's are important, but it is not that much greater than a groundball, "No one ever Ked into a doubleplay." Strike outs also mean the pithcer has to throw more pitches and can't go as deep into a game, it has down side.

Well I don't think K's are important whatsoever, but your points don't really back my opinion up. THey aren't important because they're already factored in. No matter how you do it, the idea is to allow as few runs as possible. That should be the only crieria you base pitchers on; how good they were at allowing as few runs as possible. Of course, to understand how good a pitcher is at allowing as few rusn as he does, you have to consider how he compares to other pitchers of his era, as well as how many IP he pitches. The deeper a guy pitches into a game, the harder it is to keep your ERA low. K's have absolutely nothing to do with ranking pitchers. Somebody mentioned that K pitchers allow the ball to be put inot play less often, which therefore means less chances for errors and therefore unearned runs. But that idea was shot down when I looked at the 4 best K pitchers of this generation and compared them to the 4 worst K pitchers who are actually good (4 I could think of; I believe Moyer, Radke, Maddux, and somebody else). It showed that, in that instance, there is not a positive correltaion between K's and less UER's. Pitchers with more K's actually allowed MORE unearned runs than those who don't throw a lot of K's. ERA+, amount of unearned runs relative to yuor teams defense, and amount of IP per start are the only factors to be taken into consideration when judging pitchers as far as I'm concerned.

I stick by my opinion that K's are meaningless in ranking pitchers. I've yet to see a valid argument of why they should be considered.

There's a whole thread on K's as an argument. I'll go look it up.

Ah, there it is:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42458
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: The Greatest Right-Handed Pitcher of alltime

Postby cubsrock » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:02 pm

frog99 wrote:With all of the Roger Clemens talk, i wanted to see what the cafe thought.

And yes, Nolan Ryan is not inculded on purpose, Just look at the numbers: the walks, the ERA, the winnning percentage. The numbers just aren't there.

how can you not include ryan? hes the second bes pitcher ever next to sandy koufax. he doesnt have a good win percentage because he played on crappy teams for most of his carreer.
cubsrock
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cubsrock » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:06 pm

frog99 wrote:With all of the Roger Clemens talk, i wanted to see what the cafe thought.

And yes, Nolan Ryan is not inculded on purpose, Just look at the numbers: the walks, the ERA, the winnning percentage. The numbers just aren't there.

how can you not include ryan? hes the second bes pitcher ever next to sandy koufax. he doesnt have a good win percentage because he played on crappy teams for most of his carreer.
cubsrock
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LCBOY » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:14 am

cubsrock wrote:

You're joking right? The 2nd greatest? You actually believe he was greater than:

Walter Johnson
Lefty Grove
Christy Mathewson
Roger Clemens
Greg Maddux
Steve Carlton
Warren Spahn
Tom Seaver
Pete Alexander
Randy Johnson

:-°
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rico The Retard » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:31 am

nolan ryan wasnt that good he just struck a bunch of people out
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:03 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:nolan ryan wasnt that good he just struck a bunch of people out
Wow. Rico making sense. ;-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby prodpaul » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:26 pm

Walter Johnson gets my vote.

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:11 pm

I go with Clemens cause I don't vote for ancient players ;-D