The Greatest Right-Handed Pitcher of alltime - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

The Greatest Right-Handed Pitcher of alltime

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Greatest Right-Handed Pitcher of ALLTIME?

Walter Johnson
38%
Pete Alexander
2%
Christy Mathewson
5%
Roger Clemens
22%
Pedro Martinez
10%
Greg Maddux
7%
Tom Seaver
7%
Bob Gibson
9%

Total votes : 58

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed May 26, 2004 9:51 pm

I also agree that Ryan should be on this list. He did walk alot of people, but the last 9 years of his career he didn't walk over 100 while pitching close to 200 innings. If we are talking about being dominant than I understand why he's not on the list, but he was extremely good for an extremely long time. He evolved as his arm weakened, and changed his approach to pitching. He may not be the greatest, but he has to be mentioned. I look at him and Aaron in the same light. They may not have been the most dominant, but they were the best, and most consistent.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed May 26, 2004 9:53 pm

I also agree that Ryan should be on this list. He did walk alot of people, but the last 9 years of his career he didn't walk over 100 while pitching close to 200 innings. If we are talking about being dominant than I understand why he's not on the list, but he was extremely good for an extremely long time. He evolved as his arm weakened, and changed his approach to pitching. He may not be the greatest, but he has to be mentioned. I look at him and Aaron in the same light. They may not have been the most dominant, but they were the best, and most consistent.
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby frog99 » Wed May 26, 2004 11:50 pm

Los Angeles Cubs wrote:
wkelly91 wrote:
Los Angeles Cubs wrote:I still dont see why Nolan Ryan isnt in here.

Higher ERA
Higher Losses

And here is an interesting fact... Ryan has roughly 1000 more walks that Phil Neikro 8-o Phil Neikro was a knuckle-baller 8-o

OK. Great. Lets make an excuse for him then that he was on weaker teams just like we did for Walter Johnson.

Nolan Ryan isn't 3rd alltime on the era+ rankings. And Johnson never lead the league in walks ( Ryan did 8 times).

Johnson also led the league in k's 12 times, Ryan led the league in k's 11 times. Ryan was a good pitcher but isn't among the greatest of alltime.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Los Angeles Cubs » Wed May 26, 2004 11:56 pm

Leading the league in a major pitching category and throwing 7 no hitter just would convice me that he is a top tier all time pitcher.It also doesnt clear up the fact that you made an excuse for Johnson
Go Cubs!
Los Angeles Cubs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby frog99 » Thu May 27, 2004 12:00 am

Los Angeles Cubs wrote:Leading the league in a major pitching category and throwing 7 no hitter just would convice me that he is a top tier all time pitcher.

i noted that he was a great pithcer but does that make him the greatest, no. Rickey Henderson has the most stolen bases by hundreds but is not considered the greatest ofplayer alltime. Lee Smith has the most saves off alltime, and isn't even in the hall of fame.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Los Angeles Cubs » Thu May 27, 2004 12:03 am

frog99 wrote:
Los Angeles Cubs wrote:Leading the league in a major pitching category and throwing 7 no hitter just would convice me that he is a top tier all time pitcher.

i noted that he was a great pithcer but does that make him the greatest, no. Rickey Henderson has the most stolen bases by hundreds but is not considered the greatest ofplayer alltime.

I never said he was the greatest. I just think he is one of the best. And btw, to be Rickey Henderson is one of the best players of all time. Not the best but one of.
Go Cubs!
Los Angeles Cubs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby la dodgers » Thu May 27, 2004 12:37 am

can u honestly tell me that if u were in game 7 of the WS ud rather have pedro over ryan or drysdale

(nothing at all against pedro i think hes the best pitcer in baseball and has been for the last few year)
go dodgers
la dodgers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Nomar4prez » Thu May 27, 2004 12:41 am

la dodgers wrote:can u honestly tell me that if u were in game 7 of the WS ud rather have pedro over ryan or drysdale

(nothing at all against pedro i think hes the best pitcer in baseball and has been for the last few year)

In his prime, yes I would take him. Remember, he has a career 2.50 era in an offensive era. He's also going to probably become the most winningest pitcher in the history of the game.(Not wins, but win percentage)
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby la dodgers » Thu May 27, 2004 12:44 am

like i said nothing against him but pedro just doesnt have that intensity or fire that ryan and drysdale had i also dont think hes as good a pitcher as them but he doesnt have that same will to win
go dodgers
la dodgers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Thu May 27, 2004 6:25 am

When I saw this poll, the first name that popped into my head before I even clicked on it was Walter Jhnson. So he got my vote.

Second of all, Nolan Ryan should not be on this list. Sure he had great longevity, but was never really "great". 9.5 career K/9 is good, but K's are over-valued in real life. WHIP is what matters, as well as ERA. Having lots of K's probably means you'll have a lower WHIP/ERA, but they don't help your team more than a groundout (unless that groundout advances a runner that ends up scoring, in which case ERA would be affected anyway). To me, if you consider K's in judging pitchers, you're counting them twice since you've already taken into account the lower ERA and WHIP a pitcher will have by getting all of those K's. If I really looked at the stats for the past 30 years or so, The Ryan Express probably wouldn't crack my top 25 righties. It probably wouldn't even be close. He could be dominant at times (the 7 no hitters attest to that), but overall, he wasn't anything special. An above-average ERA with a mediocre W/L record. That doesn't deserve to make the top 10 right-handed pitchers of all time.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball History