Do Major Leaguers Play Fantasy Baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do Major Leaguers Play Fantasy Baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Thu May 13, 2004 8:19 pm

Sunspot wrote:Say that Adam Dunn is facing Matt Herges in the 9th inning and the Giants lead by 1 run. Now Dunn plays fantasy baseball and needs a save to win the weak, just so happens he has Herges in his starting lineup. If you were Dunn, what would you do?

You CRANK a Game ending HR, lose fantasy baseball for one week. Then at the end of the year you sign a 60 million dollar 5 year contract. F* the fantasy.. its about the $$$$$$$$$ for them.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sunspot » Thu May 13, 2004 8:19 pm

Yea, that is the logical choice, but in fantasyland, that would be like for us when we have a closer who blows a save because one of our own guys jacked one on him. Don't you hate it when that happens?
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sunspot » Thu May 13, 2004 8:21 pm

you mean they would make more hitting a real homerun than if they won there fantasy ball pot at the end of the year? Do they really make that much money? Come on, they are just playing a fun game, don't they just do it for fun?
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortround_phat2008 » Thu May 13, 2004 8:22 pm

You CRANK a Game ending HR, lose fantasy baseball for one week. Then at the end of the year you sign a 60 million dollar 5 year contract. F* the fantasy.. its about the $$$$$$$$$ for them.

Exactly, they aren't like us, they actually play baseball for $$$$$$. The better they do the more mulah they get.
shortround_phat2008
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jbones733 » Thu May 13, 2004 8:26 pm

I seen several interviews w Curt Schilling & he is ADDICTED to Fantasy Football, he was doing his mock draft & had all his cheat sheets once, it was awesome.

And there's a show for fantasy basketball called Virtual GM & the host Rick Kamla always had basketball players on & he was alwasy getting on some guys hwo had bad nights cause he had them on his team LOL . all the hoopsters were mad cool about it, so they Def know about fantasy :-D
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Sunspot » Thu May 13, 2004 8:26 pm

Remember when players used to have to get second jobs and work over the winter just to get by? I don't, but it really happened, what is wrong with our society? If one player out there started playing for peanuts to prove a point, who would it be? My guess is nobody, but it sure would be neat to see.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Thu May 13, 2004 8:51 pm

There is no doubt that they know about it.

It reminds me of one of my favorite episodes of ArliS,,,,,,where he is in the running for winning his league but in order to put himself over the top he gets his client(on another owners team) traded to another team in the middle of nowhere which is in the other league.

it was hilarious....

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trogdor » Thu May 13, 2004 8:52 pm

fantasyfiend wrote:ofcourse they know about fantasy.

im sure they hear it all the time "hey, perez i got you starting today on my fantasy team"

they see the commercials regularly, and im sure its spiked most of the guys curiousity. im pretty sure they know how it works, and i wouldnt put it past some of the guys to actually participate in leagues.

During football season, one of the Four-Goofs-With-One-Goof-With-A-Particularly-Ugly-Suit-Pregame-Shows, they had a really long piece about FFB in general. A part of it involved player reaction, and they were generally mildly amused/slightly annoyed with it. I can remember Payton Manning in particular saying something like fans would come up to him and ask: "What went wrong in Buffalo?" And he'd say "Tough start, but we pulled it out" or something, and the fan would be pissed Manning didn't throw any TD's (As a Buffalo fan, I think this example must have been hypothetical). Manning's basic take was that of Tiki Barber's and some other dude's in the show, at least: you a Colts fan or a fantasy fan?

Doesn't really say much as to whether players play within their own sports, but it opened my eyes to how weird it must be to be a prized fantasy commodity. People don't harass their 401K's for going up or down.
Trogdor
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ondeckb » Thu May 13, 2004 8:56 pm

Sunspot wrote:Say that Adam Dunn is facing Matt Herges in the 9th inning and the Giants lead by 1 run. Now Dunn plays fantasy baseball and needs a save to win the weak, just so happens he has Herges in his starting lineup. If you were Dunn, what would you do?

You'd have to assume they have StatTracker at the yard......and it's WEEK...... ;-)
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby EK711 » Thu May 13, 2004 8:59 pm

You know what really bites my bottom with fantasy sports? When for some strange reason some guys won't let sites use them for us to play with. Two years ago in my fantasy football league, the guys that I played with decided to go for individual defensive players to see how it would work. We did an offline draft in person, and one of the earlier defensive picks taken was Lavar Arrington. And guess what? He wasn't even on the list of players on Yahoo... :-[

We never could find out why he wasn't available, but we were pretty sure it had something to do with him not giving permission to use his name for fantasy games... I'm sure glad there aren't any baseball palyers like that. It could have screwed up the whole draft since it was still in the middle rounds. Athletes take themselves way too seriously some times.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers