Give Sheff his Balco - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Give Sheff his Balco

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Give Sheff his Balco

Postby tmoney » Thu May 13, 2004 5:21 pm

I am really getting tired of reading on mlb.com gameday, 'Sheffield out on a soft ground ball to shortstop.' Hes on pace for a huge season.... 10 hr, 80+ rbi, and a .260 average! Not bad for someone who was taken early second round in most drafts........
But seriously, I felt like a little kid in a candy store when he fell to me at the 17th pick in my draft, only to be terribly disappointed. When is he going to turn it around? I have tried to trade him, but I have not been able to get anything that excites me, so I guess he is mine. I still cant bring myself to bench him, no matter how much I want to. Sheff needs the juice.... or at least fantasy owners need him to use the juice.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby UTbdiddy » Thu May 13, 2004 6:16 pm

Yeah, he is killing me. He has the opportunities with runner on, just not coming through. I really hope its just a slump and not b/c of his thumb or else I may be in for a long year.

Just traded for him too. Sent Pedro and Colon for Halladay and Sheff. :-/
UTbdiddy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jacpasfb » Thu May 13, 2004 6:36 pm

To all the Shefield owners... listen up!

Everyone has their slumps. A player can't be an all-star all year round. And that is EXACTLY what this is... a slump. Shefield is a veteran, he's proven, he's reliable. If this was his second year, ok, it may be time to worry. But he's now, he's been around ever since I was a kid collecting baseball cards....

But more importantly, he's on the YANKEES. If he was on a crappy team like the Expos, or perhaps the Pirates, I could see him getting down on himself, and there isn't much to inspire him or rally him. But for God sakes he's on the friggin yankees. Which means, he's gonna get plenty of his share of at-bats, because all the Yankees hit. But more importantly, they have incredible players that INSPIRE other players, and push them to be better.

The final point I will make is that you NEVER want to sell low. I don't care who it is. You wait until he's improved, when you can get more for him.... And then you consider a trade. Shefield will be fine, he will get better. Trust me. I've watched every yankees game. And while he has been hitting quite a few choppers, I have also seen his incredible power is STILL there. And lets not forget, he's still hitting .270. I mean, he's not a complete disapointment like Huff thus far.

What the rest of you should be asking yourselves is... Can I get him for cheap?? Because that is the real angle here. People should be able to get him for an extremely reasonable deal.

Mark my words, Shef will return to his former glory very very soon!
jacpasfb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tmoney » Thu May 13, 2004 6:48 pm

jacpasfb wrote:The final point I will make is that you NEVER want to sell low.

Im well aware of that, which is why I have not traded him. I tried a while ago, but I didnt get what I wanted, so I decided to wait it out. I was just saying that I have been disappointed by how he has played this year, and Im sure I am not the only one. He has had many opportunities to drive in rbi's, but has poped out or hit a weak ground ball to the shortstop. It may be a slump, it may be his thumb, it may be something else. Odds are he will come around, but it is still very annoying having to wait and wonder what is going on.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers