God i wish i had Zambrano on my team... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

God i wish i had Zambrano on my team...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jpbusta » Thu May 13, 2004 6:41 pm

In the pre-season, I dealt Carlos and manny for Arod and Cordero. Carlos sure is making me regret. :,-(
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Registered_Guest » Thu May 13, 2004 6:43 pm

I'm a diehard Cub fan....got him for $1 in a keeper last year (+$3/yr kept).

I was trying to peddle him like crazy all year last year. Was offering him and a $1 Jose Reyes for overpriced stars that I wouldn't of kept (i.e. $42 Randy Johnson).

Sure glad I didn't!!!!
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Elohim » Thu May 13, 2004 6:46 pm

Registered_Guest wrote:I'm a diehard Cub fan....got him for $1 in a keeper last year (+$3/yr kept).

I was trying to peddle him like crazy all year last year. Was offering him and a $1 Jose Reyes for overpriced stars that I wouldn't of kept (i.e. $42 Randy Johnson).

Sure glad I didn't!!!!
do you play in a short bus league?
Elohim
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Puban666 » Thu May 13, 2004 7:06 pm

I tried getting him at the beginng of the year, the A-hole of a manager thought that he was worth Pedro and Clemmens of course that's a no go, so I ended up trading Maddux for Clement, which has mad me equally happy :)
Puban666
College Coach
College Coach

Postby broncofan » Thu May 13, 2004 11:15 pm

i have been pushing since day 1 of this season to trade for Zambrano....i dont have a chance in hell now....Zambrano has been looking so good, i would love to have the whole cubs pitching staff as my pitching staff...
broncofan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sinicalypse » Thu May 13, 2004 11:41 pm

i took the mighty drinkin zambrano in all three of my leagues this year, opting to make him a draft option.

i used my mark prior logic: prior had good #s in the 2nd half of 02... he only won something like 7 games, but i remember seeing a stat near the end of 02 that he was barely 2nd in K/9 to schill.

prior was a 2ndroundpick for me last year, and he was like 18-6 2.43 with the Ks and the low whip, a bonafide #1 pitcher from a guy who everyone knew was good, just not how good how fast.

carlos had a solid year last year, and i remember him picking up steam after the allstar break. he was a paltry 13-11 with a 3.11 ERA, 214 IP and a key stat here: 188 hits... he walked 94 and struck out 168.

so i took a guess that the cubs offense would be improved with a full year of aramis ramirez, derrek lee, a bench with quality like hollandsworth, and sosa/alou and i even figured patterson would be .275/20/75/20... knowing that the cubs offense could potentially be good, i figured that zambrano would be cheaper than prior was going into 2003, and well, who knew what his upside was. if he didnt walk 94 people, his stuff was well below a hit an inning,

i figured he'd be good, you know, by now he'd be like 4-2 with a 3.65 ERA and like 30K in 45 innings. instead, he's been utterly brilliant short of one terrible outing in arizona where he gave up 7 runs. he'd have #s that make clemens look old, despite his being 7-0 with a 2.something ERA.

he'd have a sickening ERA of like .50 or something by now... he's onlyt 4-1 but he should be like 6-1 (his first start in ATL and that game where he shutout the cardinals for ~8 innings are my other two wins) and he's got like 46K and 13 BB. his K/BB this year is 3.54, whereas last year it was 1.79. he's given up 32 hits in 49 1/3 innings. so basically, last year was indeed indicative of what he could do, and this year he looks to be much more than a .500 pitcher with a damn good shot at 20, hell, maybe evne an outside chance at 25 if he pitches even 3/4 as good as he has til this point for the rest of the season.

i think he's going to take his licks with a few shellings this year, and i think you have to watch out for serious ar mproblems, as he went from 108.1 UP in 2002 (granted that he had minor league games, for sure) to 214.0, this year he looks like he could go 250. maybe he's the rare specimen who doesnt get injured, but many of us chicagoans thought tha twas prior, and look now.

but yeah, as of right now, it looks like carlos zambrano might be the best pitcher on the cubs. and every inning he throws this season will be thrown for my fantasy squads across the board.

btw, in terms of where i drafted him.. i have one priv8 league of all active friends-of-friends and tw opubleagues which i autodrafted with ym own custom rankings.

in the friends league i got him in the 9th round, in both of the publeagues he went in round 8. so i might have technically overpaid in the draft, and i know people from here all the way to the friends of friends didnt count on zambrano to be the cornerstone of a fantasy pitching staff, but suffice tos ay, he's been all that and more since the season began.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby sinicalypse » Thu May 13, 2004 11:49 pm

by the way, if you take out that 7 ER implosion at arizona, here are carlos zambrano's absolutely sickening numbers for the season

4-0 0.55 ERA 0.71 WHIP 22H 10BB 45K (in 45 IP)
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers