IS MY STRATEGY UNFAIR????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

IS MY STRATEGY UNFAIR?????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rolenfan » Tue May 18, 2004 1:32 pm

Here we are, starting the 7th week of the season. In one 12 team league I am in where there are no transaction limits, 6 of the teams have over 35 transactions already. I'd guess that over half of those are for rotating SP's, only two or three moves by each were trades. One manager has 72 (he's in 11th place BTW). The bottom 5 teams have 10, 72, 45, 45 and 36 transactions already. The top 5 teams have 26, 7, 10, 36 and 23 transactions (that's me with 23). The last place team (10 moves) is only there because we needed a 12th team, she doesn't really count and has only made moves when the commissioner prompted her (things like "you know, Mondesi went back to the Dominican, you should probably drop him and get someone else"). We don't let her make trades unless they are reviewed by a few of us so nobody takes advantage of her.

The churning doesn't seem to be working in this league. The leading team (26 moves) and me (23) only make changes in an effort to improve our team for the long haul. The teams with 7 and 10 moves drafted smart and it's paying off. They have made moves only due to injuries, the occasional disappointing drafted player or if someone offered them an incredible trade.

A 40 transaction limit would put half of the managers in this league in DEEP trouble. They wouldn't know what to do with themselves. We do have a trade/transaction deadline (sometime in August I think). I'm thinking most of these guys will be helped by the deadline, since their constant movement is killing them.[/b]
"You can observe a lot by watching" Yogi
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chopper » Tue May 18, 2004 1:42 pm

I largely agree with Matmat's arguments;
-I don't use quality over quantity, but will not complain if the rules allow it
-I am highly opposed to churning just to move guys from FA to WW
-I will, however, be on the look out for a spot start, particularly later in the week if I'm close in W's or K's

A fantasy NBA league that I was in used a weekly transaction limit to fairly good effect. Requires a lot of attention by the commish and there were some minor arguments, but essentially it was:
-Limit of 2 FA pick-ups per week (1201 AM PST Monday thru Midnight Sunday)
-If a pick up was due to filling an IR (DL) slot, it didn't count against limit
-Penalty for violation: limit of 1 pick-up for the next week
-Penalty for second or subsequent violation: roster locked for (I think) two weeks
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers