Posada out after blocking relay with his face - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Posada out after blocking relay with his face

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KPucks » Thu May 13, 2004 5:19 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
KPucks wrote:I've seen the replays and it looked like Posada was a little far out from the base when he slid, especially since he was already out. Why wuld he move to the side that the player was thowing from and then slide when he was already out? It looked like he was trying to break up the double play, and when you do that you do it knowing the risks.

You're supposed to slide regardless to get out of the way of the ball which is looked like he was trying to do since he was a ways off off the bag.

I know, but why slide to the side the SS is throwing from? Its not like he was going to break up the play, so why not just slide towards the inside of the bag and avoid any chance of injury.

And Posada said he isn't angry about the play and that its just something that happen in the game. Its in an artivle on ESPN.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 13, 2004 5:45 pm

KPucks wrote:Its not like he was going to break up the play

Well he did break up the play ... with his face. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jeffc_76 » Thu May 13, 2004 5:52 pm

Why throw so low if you're Amezaga? A more overhand throw or even a higher side arm thow might have turned the double play. Like I said, I doubt he wanted to hit Posada (although he may have wanted it to be close). I stand by my statement that it was an incompetant play. He very well could have turned two if he made a better play and he proceeded to injure another player instead. Oh well, those are the breaks (no pun intended). But I'm the vindictive type and I would have like to see Amezaga get beamed today.

I like this quote from an article I just read:
This is the second time that Posada has broken his nose, the first coming in a fight when he was 14.
"We fixed that one at home," Posada said.

hehe, nice to see my player was a tough guy at an early age. ;-D
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KPucks » Thu May 13, 2004 6:29 pm

jeffc_76 wrote:Why throw so low if you're Amezaga? A more overhand throw or even a higher side arm thow might have turned the double play.

I have never seen him play, but that might be howhe normally throws or turns double plays. Some guys have wierd motions and this may be the case w/ Amezaga.

By the way, that thing about fixing it at home is hilarious. :-D
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers