Posada out after blocking relay with his face - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Posada out after blocking relay with his face

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jeffc_76 » Thu May 13, 2004 12:20 pm

rolenfan wrote:If it were hockey, the benches would have cleared and they'd still be fighting. That was a very bad throw. Yes, you are taught to make the runner get down, but Posada was on his way down, no need for a sidearm throw like that.

As I said, not dirty, but incompetant. You can see on the replay that the throw was SO LOW that it was completely impossible for Posada to get down beneath it. He was already going down and it hit him in the chest. Had he gone down even quicker, it might have hit him in the face directly.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 13, 2004 12:34 pm

I watched the replay several times this morning and the throw looked fine to me. There didn't appear to be any malice and Posada was too far outside the basepath trying to break up the double play. He paid the price. :*)

RotoWorld says he'll miss 4-5 days.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rolenfan » Thu May 13, 2004 12:46 pm

I never said, or thought, it was intentional, malicious or anything like that. I'm sure it wasn't. It was just stupid. Posada wasn't outside the basepath, and he was a good 10-12 feet from the bag. He wasn't rying to break up the DP, he was trying to get down. Bad play.
"You can observe a lot by watching" Yogi
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jbones733 » Thu May 13, 2004 12:50 pm

classic case of pampered yankees, If Jeter did it it would of been fine. The kid was trying to turn a tough double play, christ. If posada's nose wasnt so big it might of missed it.
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby EK711 » Thu May 13, 2004 12:52 pm

jbones733 wrote:classic case of pampered yankees, If Jeter did it it would of been fine. The kid was trying to turn a tough double play, christ. If posada's nose wasnt so big it might of missed it.

I have a feeling this thread could get longer now.... Like a lot.. :-/
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 13, 2004 1:00 pm

rolenfan wrote:I never said, or thought, it was intentional, malicious or anything like that. I'm sure it wasn't. It was just stupid. Posada wasn't outside the basepath, and he was a good 10-12 feet from the bag. He wasn't rying to break up the DP, he was trying to get down. Bad play.

He's not far enough outside the basepath to have interference called but go over to ESPN.com and watch the replay on Motion a few more times. When the 2B moves outside to make the throw Posada follows him out there. If he needs to move laterally to go down the boy has bigger problems than his nose. :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu May 13, 2004 2:51 pm

jbones733 wrote:classic case of pampered yankees, If Jeter did it it would of been fine. The kid was trying to turn a tough double play, christ. If posada's nose wasnt so big it might of missed it.

8-o did you even watch it? this is an extremely idiotic post.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Thu May 13, 2004 2:55 pm

Who cares? Injuries happen in sports, and sometimes, they are nobody's fault. Posada will be back in 4-5 days so what's the problem. Both the runner and the thrower learned their lesson, and will probably try not to repeat it.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KPucks » Thu May 13, 2004 4:43 pm

I've seen the replays and it looked like Posada was a little far out from the base when he slid, especially since he was already out. Why wuld he move to the side that the player was thowing from and then slide when he was already out? It looked like he was trying to break up the double play, and when you do that you do it knowing the risks.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu May 13, 2004 5:16 pm

KPucks wrote:I've seen the replays and it looked like Posada was a little far out from the base when he slid, especially since he was already out. Why wuld he move to the side that the player was thowing from and then slide when he was already out? It looked like he was trying to break up the double play, and when you do that you do it knowing the risks.

You're supposed to slide regardless to get out of the way of the ball which is looked like he was trying to do since he was a ways off off the bag.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers