Terry Adams just blew a save. Who's next in line? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Terry Adams just blew a save. Who's next in line?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Terry Adams just blew a save. Who's next in line?

Postby Dr.DooM » Wed May 12, 2004 6:47 pm

My hunch is that Ligtenberg is next in line. He's looked pretty good in the last few games. The saves he blew last time were probably due to not getting enough rest. There's also an outside chance that Frasor may get a save now and then. Also, if Aquilino Lopez gets it together he could reclaim the role as well.

I know a lot of people are staying away from Toronto but this team is getting a lot of save opps. In a competitive 12+team league where all closers and their setup men are already taken, you can't afford to take the wait and see approach. The only way to stay ahead is to think ahead and take chances.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jpbusta » Wed May 12, 2004 6:48 pm

Probably Frasor.
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Wed May 12, 2004 6:50 pm

Ligtenberg shouldn't be an option, I would say Frasor is next in line, but keep an eye on Lopez if he pitches well soon.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Dr.DooM » Wed May 12, 2004 6:54 pm

I don't want folks here to jump the gun yet; just to stay sharp and keep a lookout if Adams blows some more saves. Here's a snippet from Rotoworld:

Terry Adams allowed two runs in the ninth to take the blown save and the loss today against the Royals.
Adams deserved better. He entered the game in the eighth and got Matt Stairs to pop out, bailing Kerry Ligtenberg out of the jam. He gave up a flare single to start the ninth and then got consecutive groundouts, moving the runner to the third. On the first grounder, a better defensive first baseman than Carlos Delgado might have turned the double play, resulting in an easy inning for Adams. That didn't happen, though. With two outs and a man on third, Adams pitched around Carlos Beltran to get to Mike Sweeney. Sweeney ended up hitting a hard grounder that ate up third baseman Eric Hinske. It would have taken a very good play to turn the shot into the out, but Hinske should have at least kept the ball in the infield. When he didn't, Beltran came around to score all the way from first. This wasn't an outing that should hurt Adams' stock at all, but it would certainly be for the best if the right-hander converts his next couple of chances
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trogdor » Wed May 12, 2004 6:56 pm

The text copied below is from rotoworld; long, but worth reading. They don't see any reason to be jumping off the Adams ship, and really, neither do I -- just yet. I hate to load my team up with guys who MIGHT close because it's such a guessing game until they do.

Terry Adams allowed two runs in the ninth to take the blown save and the loss today against the Royals.
Adams deserved better. He entered the game in the eighth and got Matt Stairs to pop out, bailing Kerry Ligtenberg out of the jam. He gave up a flare single to start the ninth and then got consecutive groundouts, moving the runner to the third. On the first grounder, a better defensive first baseman than Carlos Delgado might have turned the double play, resulting in an easy inning for Adams. That didn't happen, though. With two outs and a man on third, Adams pitched around Carlos Beltran to get to Mike Sweeney. Sweeney ended up hitting a hard grounder that ate up third baseman Eric Hinske. It would have taken a very good play to turn the shot into the out, but Hinske should have at least kept the ball in the infield. When he didn't, Beltran came around to score all the way from first. This wasn't an outing that should hurt Adams' stock at all, but it would certainly be for the best if the right-hander converts his next couple of chances.
Trogdor
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers