Bret Boone - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bret Boone

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bret Boone

Postby LionsandTigersOhMy » Wed May 12, 2004 12:18 pm

Whats everyones take on this guy.He stunk it up the 2nd half last year and so far has looked weak.Add to that the fact he has back spasms and now a tweaked groin and I am wondering if I should rid myself of him?The Mariners have looked better as a team lately but he has done nothing other than a few singles and a wince when he swings.Give me some opinions on him and let me know if you would consider shopping him.

One very big positive is that the guy plays like a bulldog.Its very hard to keep him out of the lineup they say and I like guys who play thru the pain.
LionsandTigersOhMy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nails » Wed May 12, 2004 12:44 pm

I would hardly say he stunk it up. I look for a year closer to 2002 than last year. He is still a top 4 or 5 option at 2B.
Nails
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rich101682 » Wed May 12, 2004 1:30 pm

I know this sounds cliche and I'm not meaning to start an argument, but do you think he was on the juice and now isn't? He did kind of bulk up out of nowhere and I heard in ST that he may not hit as well because he's off it now because of the BALCO scare. I don't remember where I read that though...could explain the nagging injuries.

Just something to ponder.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 92)

Postby Spartans Rule » Wed May 12, 2004 1:45 pm

rich101682 wrote:I know this sounds cliche and I'm not meaning to start an argument, but do you think he was on the juice and now isn't? He did kind of bulk up out of nowhere and I heard in ST that he may not hit as well because he's off it now because of the BALCO scare. I don't remember where I read that though...could explain the nagging injuries.

Just something to ponder.

I don't think so because he's still hitting homeruns (On pace for 30). The problem is his plate discipline. He's striking out almost five times for every walk, compared to about a 2-1 ratio the past two seasons.

My guess is that Boone is frustrated by Seattle being so awful, he's trying too hard to make things happen and he's swinging at bad pitches. But I could be wrong.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed May 12, 2004 2:28 pm

First of all:

May 12 The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports Seattle Mariners 2B Bret Boone (back/groin) felt his left groin give out during the Tuesday, May 11 game with the Minnesota Twins. Boone limped when he ran the rest of the night and had the groin heavily packed in ice after the game.

Second - yes, there are many people who never did believe Bret Boone should be considered a top 2b. He had a phenominal 2001, a good 2002, and a great 2003 - however, before that he was an average 2b at best. His career BA - including his last 3 solid yrs - is .269. With the whispers that he got into "yoga" over the offseason and dropped weight, well, we all read that differently, and the people who's beliefs lead toward a darker reason for that also have an easier explanation for his 3 yr boom. Right now if you could get M. Giles for him Id jump at that.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tmoney » Wed May 12, 2004 2:29 pm

Sounds like a pretty good buy low candidate to me. I am guessing owners are frustrated with the way he has performed and the fact that they could have picked up someone like Brian Roberts a few weeks ago for nothing. And no, I dont think Boone was on the juice. An early season slump does not always have to mean a player was involved with balco. Sheffield on the other hand........
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers