Can I get some info on Nate Field? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can I get some info on Nate Field?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can I get some info on Nate Field?

Postby JRM4833 » Wed May 12, 2004 11:34 am

I heard KCs coach name him first in his list of new potential closers. Or are they going with closer by committee? Is he worth a pickup? All I have now is Rivera for SVs (and hoping Marte gets the closer job). If I hes worth the pick up, who would you drop? Ainsworth, Abbott, Lilly or Polanco/Kata (no need for 2 2Bs?)

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JRM4833 » Wed May 12, 2004 1:40 pm

Bump .......

General Manager
General Manager

Postby bjm97 » Wed May 12, 2004 1:47 pm

No idea about Nate Fields but here is the latest on the KC closer situation.

May 11 MacDougal has been unable to get back on track after missing some time with a stomach virus earlier this spring. The Royals' closer, who lost weight and strength in his battle with the ailment, is 0-1 with a 10.80 ERA and one save in five appearances since returning from the disabled list. Because of his struggles, MacDougal has been optioned to Triple-A Omaha.
Advice: MacDougal will be replaced on the roster by Justin Huisman. The Royals likely will use a closer-by-committee, with Curtis Leskanic and Jaime Cerda claiming most of the save opportunities.
bjm97
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Wed May 12, 2004 1:49 pm

i don't think anyone knows a thing about him, i surely don't ... but maybe a KC fan does.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby EK711 » Wed May 12, 2004 2:19 pm

Sorry for the long quote on this... But here's some info from the KC Star with some more about the KC situation:

The Kansas City Star wrote:Posted on Sun, May. 09, 2004

Peña isn't sure who will close

MacDougal is out for now; manager seeks replacement

By BOB DUTTON The Kansas City Star

BOSTON — If Mike MacDougal is out as the Royals' closer — and he is, at least for the moment — then who now gets the ball in the ninth inning when the club has a lead to protect?

“I'm going to go with …” manager Tony Peña said. “I'm going to go with … I don't know.”

In short, there is no clear answer.

Right-hander Nate Field, previously designated as the backup closer, is a leading candidate. Field had allowed only one earned run in his first 10 appearances before surrendering two in the eighth inning of Saturday's 9-1 loss to the Red Sox.

But Peña also likes left-hander Jaime Cerda, who collected his first career save last Monday by bailing out Field in the 10th inning of a 3-2 victory over Toronto.

Further, the Royals are counting the days until they can recall right-hander Justin Huisman from Class AAA Omaha, Neb. Huisman is eligible to return Tuesday after spending the required 10 days in the minors after being optioned off the major-league club.

Huisman worked three scoreless innings in two appearances in a brief stay last month with the Royals and has yet to allow an earned run in eight outings for Omaha.

“He gets ground balls,” Peña said, “and he throws strikes. He's not going to walk anyone.”

Huisman has 169 strikeouts and 65 walks in 248 1/3 career minor-league innings.

That control offers a sharp contrast to MacDougal, who has 307 walks in 519 2/3 innings in his professional career.

MacDougal walked two of three hitters in blowing a save Monday in Toronto and two of four hitters Friday in blowing a save in a 7-6 loss to the Red Sox.

“It's been a struggle so far,” he said. “The other night (in Toronto), I felt pretty good. And (against Boston), I felt some of those pitches were pretty close. But not consistently, and not enough of them.”

The Royals, at this point, are debating whether to send MacDougal to the minors or shift him to middle relief.

“We're going to have to make that decision,” general manager Allard Baird said. “I think bringing him right back (from the disabled list) and throwing him right into the fire is a lot to ask. That's tough, whether it's for a veteran guy or an inexperienced closer.

“But the mode that we are in, we're looking for results.”

I hope that little extra info helps a little bit. The KC situation just seems awful messy. I couldn't find any more recent info on the situation browsing the Star. :-/

I think bjm's post probably is the most likely situation. CBC... uggghhh.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby slomo007 » Wed May 12, 2004 2:26 pm

On my team, I have Field and Huisman. I don't see Cerda being anything more than a spot pitcher to get the tough left handed batters out (he's a lefty). I think if Huisman pitches well in the first inning or two he's in, he will get the job. He is supposedly the closer of the future, so why not give him a chance if he seems ready.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby JRM4833 » Wed May 12, 2004 2:49 pm

Ok, well here are the 2 articles I read about him in. Thought somebody might have more info. His stats so far: 11.2 IN, 10 Ks, BAA .195, WHIP 0.94, ERA 2.31

AL closers: deep relief
by Matt Romig
May 10, 2004

Manager Tony Pena stopped short of naming an interim closer, but Kansas City's most effective reliever to date has been Nate Field. He allowed a home run to Dave McCarty Saturday, but has held opponents to a batting average near .200 and, unlike MacDougal, generally gets the ball over the plate. Pena also named Jaime Cerda and Justin Huisman (currently in Triple-A) as late-inning candidates.

Notes: Mac may lose job
Baird, Peña discuss options before Saturday's game
By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

General manager Allard Baird and manager Tony Peña discussed possible alternatives to MacDougal before Saturday's game.

"There are some alternatives. I think guys like Nate Field, maybe Jaime Cerda, even Justin Huisman. Rudy Seanez down there is throwing the ball well," Baird said. "I think those are all options."

General Manager
General Manager

Postby mlbnut » Wed May 12, 2004 3:06 pm

Huisman is the better long term option than Field. Huismann has 78 saves over the last 3 years and a sub 2.00 era and very good control. He is the best closer prospect.
Field will probably get the first few chances and then after he chokes Huisman will have it the rest of the year and in the future.
At least, if the Royals were smart they would.
mlbnut
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Hyde » Wed May 12, 2004 5:19 pm

Nate just came into the game today. His fastball has been 94 mph, but it looks like it's a straight fastball. He must not have a good breaking ball because he hasn't thrown it much.
When you are born you are given a ticket to the freak show, I say enjoy the show. - George Carlin
Hyde
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Hyde » Wed May 12, 2004 5:22 pm

He just struke out Delgado on a 96mph backdoor fastball. Could have been called a ball, but it did move a little bit.
When you are born you are given a ticket to the freak show, I say enjoy the show. - George Carlin
Hyde
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers