Contreras update - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Contreras update

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Contreras update

Postby trac02 » Wed May 12, 2004 8:32 am

Jose had a pretty good start at AAA Columbus last night, and Joe Torre didn't rule out the possibility he could start Saturday against Seattle, though I doubt he will be back up until he strings together some solid starts. Encouraging that he was throwing 98 and had 8K to 1BB; I know I know, these are minor leaguers he's facing but it seems confidence and not ability is his problem. From the NJ Star-Ledger:

Contreras pitched 6 2/3 innings and earned the victory in a 4-3 victory over Norfolk, the Mets Triple-A team, allowing seven hits and three runs. He struck out seven and walked one, and according to general manager Brian Cashman, he topped out at 98 mph.

"He was being aggressive, and he had good control, and he maintained his delivery the entire game," Cashman said. "Those are all good signs."... Joe Torre left open the possibility that Jose Contreras, who was sent to the minor leagues last week, could be back up to pitch Saturday against the Seattle Mariners after Contreras had an encouraging outing for Triple-A Columbus yesterday.

"I think anything is a possibility," the manager said when asked if Contreras could be back so soon.
trac02
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rkiivs » Wed May 12, 2004 12:42 pm

I wonder if they would consider him for middle relief. He seems to always start fine but 4 or 5 innings into the game he starts losing control. I know they paid some bucks for him but he doesn't help the team winning minor league starts but maybe as relief...who knows?
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers