Griffey for a Closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Griffey for a Closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Griffey for a Closer?

Postby Matt » Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:05 pm

Do you think that Griffey will come back and be anywhere near his old form? I think that I can trade away either Jorge Julio or Jimenez for him. And that would leave me with Mariano and John(OUCH)Rocker. I don't really need the outfeild but am tempted to get him anyways and put him into util. My outfeild right now is Guerrero, Suzuki, Hunter, J. Gonzolez. And my Util is Cedeno.
Matt

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

ya

Postby Yeaok » Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:39 pm

Sure go ahead, your outfield looks strong without griffey even in it. You gotta get Jimenez though. Julio wouldnt be worth it. Griffey is still worth it for one of your opponents to take a gamble on. Your closers situation looks weak with rocker in it. Is he closer with Irabu doing bad? Or is zimmerman back? if rocker aint closing theres no point in havin him.
Yeaok

Postby Arlo » Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:51 pm

It's certainly not out of the question that Griffey will come back at full strength, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high. With Rivera's health a concern, and every aspect of Rocker - from health to opportunity to attitude - downright disturbing, I'd keep those closers, at least until we know more about Rivera's status.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby timkell » Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:47 pm

Poor Griffey. He can't even get Jorge Julio or Jiminez in return? Wow the mighty have fallen.

I think I would disagree. I would trade Jiminez for him. A closer in Colorado? He's pretty solid, but he may not get many opportunities. That thin air will still cause many high scoring games. The team is mediocre.

Julio should continue to get better throughout the season, as he's got talent. He's still no prize, but I'd rather have him than Jiminez.

Griffey is day to day, and if he recovers, you have to believe he'll be worth Jiminez. Hold onto him and trade him for a pitching upgrade if he turns it on. If not, what do you lose? There must be someone near Jiminez' level on the waiver wire!

How big is your league?
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby matt » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:16 pm

Turns out I will not have to give up a pitcher after all. He is willing to trade Jr. for Cedeno. I guess they both have a good upside but I don't think Cedeno is going to be worth a thing this year. We'll see.
Thanks for the advice.
matt

Postby Arlo » Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:19 am

I was among those who expected Cedeno to turn things around by the end of May, and I couldn't have been more wrong...

Both Cedeno and Griffey are huge risks, but Griffey looks like the better gamble right now in terms of overall numbers. Hope this deal works out for you! :->
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers