Randy Johnson is back - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Randy Johnson is back

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Randy Johnson is back

Postby GSes » Tue May 11, 2004 8:00 pm

Ok the 3-3 record is not great, but poor run support, poor managing have caused RJ to be 500.

Not looking at the record, what do you see?

3.06 ERA

0.96 WHIP 8-o 8-o

opp bat avg is .186

61 K's/47 IP

I have seen about 5 of the Unit's 7 starts, and he has been absolutely dominant just as his numbers show. His signature slider is as nasty as ever and hitters are whiffing left and right at it. He is confident and he has gone back to his old manerisms/motion of the past.

I was very, very skeptical about the unit preseason. I got him in the 5th rd, as I could just not pass him up in the 5th.

Randy Johnson is 40 years old, and logic tells us he can't stay at this pace and he can never return to form. Thing is, Randy Johnson is and always has been "special and diffrent". RJ is one of the few pitchers and even still at 40 that can basically just keep pitchin and pitchin, almost as if pitch counts mean nothing (old skool). Randy has always been diffrent.

Just a year ago he was the first pitcher taken, he has a nightmare year filled w/ injuries and this season he is treated like the plague. Everyone knew in the back of their minds that the Unit had high risk/reward written all over him. I belive the unit took a trip to the fountain of youth b/c he has been just as dominant as ever in 2004. watch out b/c the Unit has returned to form!
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bell » Tue May 11, 2004 8:47 pm

I'm curious, where has the poor management come into play this season in affecting Johnson?
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GSes » Tue May 11, 2004 9:02 pm

bell wrote:I'm curious, where has the poor management come into play this season in affecting Johnson?

that one game where Brenly left him in 2 long to throw like 130 pitches. He was dominant until his count got way up then he surrendered like 3 or 4 runs i think, not sure how many. :-D

thats the only gripe i have
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bell » Tue May 11, 2004 9:09 pm

GSes wrote:
bell wrote:I'm curious, where has the poor management come into play this season in affecting Johnson?

that one game where Brenly left him in 2 long to throw like 130 pitches. He was dominant until his count got way up then he surrendered like 3 or 4 runs i think, not sure how many. :-D

thats the only gripe i have

I'm guessing you're referring to the Brewers game because there was somewhat of a misconception that Brenly did something wrong. Johnson just slammed into a brick wall and absolutely fell apart. There was little that would have led Brenly to expect it because Johnson was cruising up to that point.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 11, 2004 9:27 pm

That's debatable. He threw 90+ pitches going into the 7th and had only let up like two runs. But it became evident pretty quickly that he was out of gas in the 7th. After the wild pitch I would have yanked him but it's easy to be an armchair QB. It probably wouldn't have mattered because the two RPs that followed made matters worse.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WhiteHot » Tue May 11, 2004 9:28 pm

Seems like everytime a pitcher does bad late into the game, it's ALWAYS the manager's fault.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 11, 2004 9:34 pm

WhiteHot wrote:Seems like everytime a pitcher does bad late into the game, it's ALWAYS the manager's fault.

Yeah seems that way doesn't it? Maybe because it is. A pitcher isn't going to take himself out of the game so it's the manager and the pitching coach's responsibility to recognize when he's tanked. Don't they understand that there are important FB games hinging on their decisions? :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue May 11, 2004 9:43 pm

I just want to point out that ESPN's preseason fantasy top 200 had the Unit at number 13 overall. I thought that was a little high for a guy with that many question marks, but I was still prepared to draft him in the second round if necessary (all of the players I coveted over him were gone in the top 20). I tend to trust ESPN's rankings more than any other source, certainly a lot more than Yahoo anyway. I mean, the guy won four, count 'em, four consecutive Cy Youngs heading into last year.

In any case, it was a judgment call on my part, but so far it's paying dividends. I proceeded to draft Schilling in round 3, yes round 3, after Oswalt and even Maddux!

I think I may have an outside shot at a Cy Young sweep. I probably have the league leaders in Ks swept, barring injury, at any rate.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Return to Baseball Leftovers