1791 Baseball Document - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

1791 Baseball Document

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

1791 Baseball Document

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 11, 2004 6:13 pm

ESPN Article

Pretty neat that they find info confirming that baseball was alive and well pre-Doubleday. Several baseball histories I have read have speculated on this due to the game's evolution from other games such as Rounders. Although I disagree with some of the articles that suggest this somehow lessens the importance of Doubleday penning and solidifying the rules still used today for the most part.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Re: 1791 Baseball Document

Postby LCBOY » Wed May 12, 2004 8:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:ESPN Article

Although I disagree with some of the articles that suggest this somehow lessens the importance of Doubleday penning and solidifying the rules still used today for the most part.


I thought the Doubleday "Story" was a complete myth. It was concocted by a baseball committee in 1905:

In 1905, a commission headed by Al Spalding wrongly credited Doubleday with inventing the game of baseball in in Cooperstown, New York in 1839. Doubleday was actually a cadet at West Point when he was alleged to have mapped out the first baseball diamond, and after graduating in 1842 he enjoyed a distinguished military career. He fought in Mexico as well as the Civil War, eventually becoming a major general.

The commission was convinced of Doubleday's role by the testimony of an elderly gentleman named Abner Graves, who claimed to be a childhood playmate of Doubleday's and present when the game was invented. Graves's story was later "verified" by the discovery of a rotting baseball among his personal effects. That ball became known as "The Doubleday Baseball" and remains on display at the Hall of Fame. Doubleday left behind numerous diaries and never claimed to have invented baseball, yet he remains one of the game's great mythological figures. The annual Hall of Fame Game is played each summer at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown.


this is from this website.


http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/D/Doubleday_Abner.stm
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2838
Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On third base trying to steal home.

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 13, 2004 11:10 am

It is a myth that he invented the game. I guess that myth arose because he penned the rules. From what I understand Doubleday compiled and inadvertently standardized the rules. But I'm no expert and that could be wrong, lol. :-b
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby frog99 » Thu May 13, 2004 3:06 pm

Amazinz wrote:It is a myth that he invented the game. I guess that myth arose because he penned the rules. From what I understand Doubleday compiled and inadvertently standardized the rules. But I'm no expert and that could be wrong, lol. :-b



Doubleday did NOTHING for baseball, he didn't even pen the rules, the NY Kinkerbockers did that. in the 1830's when doubleday supposedly "penned the rules" Doubleday was at West Point. Al Spalding simply need at definite date to place the invention of baseball at, to porve it wasn;t connected to the english games of Cricket and rounders. (which it was) and some crazy old guy in Cooperstown claimed to have been with Doubleday in the 1830's when hen invented Baseball.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 669
Joined: 29 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cheering the Home Team

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 13, 2004 3:36 pm

Interesting. Just having a friendly conversation, no need to shout. :-b
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby LCBOY » Mon May 17, 2004 3:11 pm

Hey, frog99, who is your favorite dead-ball player? I love all things Honus Wagner! Just ask DK! :-D
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2838
Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On third base trying to steal home.

Postby frog99 » Mon May 17, 2004 3:22 pm

LCBOY wrote:Hey, frog99, who is your favorite dead-ball player? I love all things Honus Wagner! Just ask DK! :-D



favorite...hmm. tough call. Im going with "Big" Ed Delahanty ( he had a very weird life, but that isn't the reason i like him). I also am a big Billy Hamilton fan.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 669
Joined: 29 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cheering the Home Team

Postby DK » Mon May 17, 2004 6:50 pm

LCBOY wrote:Hey, frog99, who is your favorite dead-ball player? I love all things Honus Wagner! Just ask DK! :-D


Funny, you don't seem to be a Honus guy, however could I have come to that conclusion? :D
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby LCBOY » Mon May 17, 2004 9:30 pm

frog99 wrote:
LCBOY wrote:Hey, frog99, who is your favorite dead-ball player? I love all things Honus Wagner! Just ask DK! :-D



favorite...hmm. tough call. Im going with "Big" Ed Delahanty ( he had a very weird life, but that isn't the reason i like him). I also am a big Billy Hamilton fan.


Didn't "Big Ed" get drunk on a train, got off and fell into a river and drown?
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2838
Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On third base trying to steal home.

Postby gateman4 » Mon May 17, 2004 9:56 pm

The Ken Burns Documentary; "Lewis and Clark," dicusses the encounter of a Great Plains Indian Tribe playing a game referred to as "Base," during the early 1800's.

Another interesting fact.
You owe it to yourself to be the best you can possible be - in baseball and in life.
--Pete Rose

A hot dog at the ball park is better than steak at the Ritz.
--Humphrey Bogart
gateman4
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 129
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Margaritaville

Next

Return to Baseball History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 7:18 hours
(and 93 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact