Why I think Valverde is better than Hoffman... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why I think Valverde is better than Hoffman...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why I think Valverde is better than Hoffman...

Postby RynMan » Tue May 11, 2004 6:04 pm

I was gonna make a trade with a friend of mine for Hoffman, but was giving up a bit to get him, then i got thinking. Why not shoot for Valverde that has the lower price tag, so would cost me less.

With the way the Padres are using Hoffman now, it doesnt look like he is gonna even throw 75 innings! Assuming Valverde keeps the closer role, he will get comparible saves to hoffman, strike alot more guys out, and put up a comparible ERA and WHIP. Both guys have risks. Hoffman with a possible reoccuring injury from last year, and Valverde losing the job - but you know it aint gonna be to Mantei anytime soon. I think Valverde will keep this role.

Does any1 else see the logic behind this? Or am I blind to something here? Thanks guys, would really like to hear your thoughts! :-)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sevillano » Tue May 11, 2004 6:12 pm

But Valverde gave up a run last night! How could he be better than Hoffman?? :*)

To be serious, I think your reasoning is very logical, if you pursue Valverde based on the fact that you can get him much cheaper than Hoffman. He's a good value pick at this point in my opinion.
Sevillano
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 11, 2004 6:14 pm

Let's just say that you have more faith in Valverde AKA Contreras of the West than I do. I like Hoffman more because he is doing well and is more entrenched in his job. Mantei will have to continue stinking and Valverde will need to excel in order to keep that job. I also don't see Mantei being traded with that salary.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby RynMan » Tue May 11, 2004 6:17 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Let's just say that you have more faith in Valverde AKA Contreras of the West than I do. I like Hoffman more because he is doing well and is more entrenched in his job. Mantei will have to continue stinking and Valverde will need to excel in order to keep that job. I also don't see Mantei being traded with that salary.

yeah i think its safe to say if you wanna gamble, go for valverde cuz it could pay off well for you. If you wanna play it safe, go with Hoffman.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby leafz17 » Tue May 11, 2004 6:26 pm

I wouldn't say that. Hoffman is a solid closer no matter how you want to say it. He'll get the opportunities, and he'll perform. No one will be taking that job away any time soon, I can tell you that much.

Valverde on the other hand, doesn't have as strong a handle on the job as everyone thinks. As previously mentioned, you can't just leave Mantei there with that huge salary. They signed him for that much for a reason. But even if he doesn't come back to the closer role, Valverde is still a first-year closer and has a thing or two to learn. He won't get more saves than Hoffman when the year is done, even if he does start all season.
leafz17
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wrveres » Tue May 11, 2004 6:27 pm

BTW, I don't see Valverde giving up the job. He will have his shaky moments, all closers do not named Gagne. Mantei is done. He would have to clearly out pitch Valverde from here on out, which is highly unlikely. Should Valverde fail, the Babybacks may opt to bring up Bruney before handing the job back to Mantei anyways.

As for Trevor .... Its all smoke, mirrors and toss in a little veteran savy right now. :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Sevillano » Tue May 11, 2004 6:28 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Let's just say that you have more faith in Valverde AKA Contreras of the West than I do. I like Hoffman more because he is doing well and is more entrenched in his job. Mantei will have to continue stinking and Valverde will need to excel in order to keep that job. I also don't see Mantei being traded with that salary.

Yeah, that's a great nickname...but does it have anything to do with performance or just the fact that their first names are the same? Does that mean I should consider Redman the Prior of the West?

I do agree that you're taking more of a gamble when going for Valverde, but if all you have to give up is a marginal player, the risk may be worth the reward.
Sevillano
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Why I think Valverde is better than Hoffman...

Postby bleach168 » Tue May 11, 2004 6:29 pm

RynMan wrote:I was gonna make a trade with a friend of mine for Hoffman, but was giving up a bit to get him, then i got thinking. Why not shoot for Valverde that has the lower price tag, so would cost me less.

With the way the Padres are using Hoffman now, it doesnt look like he is gonna even throw 75 innings! Assuming Valverde keeps the closer role, he will get comparible saves to hoffman, strike alot more guys out, and put up a comparible ERA and WHIP. Both guys have risks. Hoffman with a possible reoccuring injury from last year, and Valverde losing the job - but you know it aint gonna be to Mantei anytime soon. I think Valverde will keep this role.

Does any1 else see the logic behind this? Or am I blind to something here? Thanks guys, would really like to hear your thoughts! :-)

The thing about closers is that good ones often come very cheap. Guys like Todd Worrell and Danny Kolb were great bargains last year. Valverde could be a great one this year. It happens all the time.

That's why I've never used high picks on closers.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 11, 2004 7:11 pm

Sevillano wrote:

Yeah, that's a great nickname...but does it have anything to do with performance or just the fact that their first names are the same? Does that mean I should consider Redman the Prior of the West?

I do agree that you're taking more of a gamble when going for Valverde, but if all you have to give up is a marginal player, the risk may be worth the reward.

LOL. I hadn't even thought of the first name thing. I was talking about 2 guys with dominating stuff that are struggling for whatever reason.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby RynMan » Tue May 11, 2004 8:10 pm

The D-Backs will throw there best man for the closer job out there, regardless of their contract. It jus comes down to whether or not the want to win the game or not....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers