A's Closer (no basis in fact?) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A's Closer (no basis in fact?)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A's Closer (no basis in fact?)

Postby matmat » Tue May 11, 2004 5:06 pm

Just read on another bulletin board (so I guess this is kinda like hear-say) that there was an As scout at recent redsox game... purportedly the As are looking at acquiring a closer. this would be quite a blow to rhodes owners, but possibly quite a boon for owners of whoever it is that the As would target (Kim? Williamson? Embree?)

has anyone heard anything about this?
read anything about this?

does kim have the stuff to still close games? (given his velocity is down)

can the As afford williamson?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4120
Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: North cross down

Postby bell » Tue May 11, 2004 5:13 pm

Interesting. Not to say you're wrong, but maybe the scout was also looking into a second baseman? I mean, Bellhorn would fit in quite well, no?
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1694
Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Stumbling along the AZ/WI border

Postby Tavish » Tue May 11, 2004 5:17 pm

If they were looking for a closer those names wouldn't be the ones I would put at the top of the list. Not so much of a question of the A's being able to afford them, but the BoSox couldn't afford to lose any of them.

Someone like Fuentes from Colorado or Lightenberg from Toronto might be available later on to teams looking for help. Whether or not it's the A's who go shopping is hard to say.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11067
(Past Year: 26)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SuperHippo » Tue May 11, 2004 5:22 pm

Williamson has a $3.2 Million deal. I don't think thats too out of reach.
SuperHippo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 95
Joined: 16 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Tue May 11, 2004 5:44 pm

bell wrote:Interesting. Not to say you're wrong, but maybe the scout was also looking into a second baseman? I mean, Bellhorn would fit in quite well, no?


Nah i dont see them going after a 2B. They have Mark McClemore coming back in the next week or so, and 3 backups to him.
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby bell » Tue May 11, 2004 6:07 pm

RynMan wrote:
bell wrote:Interesting. Not to say you're wrong, but maybe the scout was also looking into a second baseman? I mean, Bellhorn would fit in quite well, no?


Nah i dont see them going after a 2B. They have Mark McClemore coming back in the next week or so, and 3 backups to him.

I only suggest that because McClemore is 39 years old. Scutaro has like a .319 OBP, and Menechino is nothing more than that guy you don't want to have to be your starting second baseman.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1694
Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Stumbling along the AZ/WI border

Postby RynMan » Tue May 11, 2004 6:13 pm

bell wrote:
RynMan wrote:
bell wrote:Interesting. Not to say you're wrong, but maybe the scout was also looking into a second baseman? I mean, Bellhorn would fit in quite well, no?


Nah i dont see them going after a 2B. They have Mark McClemore coming back in the next week or so, and 3 backups to him.

I only suggest that because McClemore is 39 years old. Scutaro has like a .319 OBP, and Menechino is nothing more than that guy you don't want to have to be your starting second baseman.


yeah i agree there....none are desirable starters. But the A's are pretty tight when it comes to things like this :-/
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby GSes » Tue May 11, 2004 6:48 pm

I can see the A's trying to aquire a closer, but I honestly don't even see how Williamson or Kim, or to a lesser extent Lightenburg or Fuentes 8-o B-) B-) are better options then Rhodes?

Rhodes is 6/8 in save opps and his high era is inflated b/c of non save opps and a lack of work since the A's have been not winning the last few weeks.

If the A's are gonna aquire someone it would have to be someone better then decent.
Image
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2498
Joined: 9 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Shadows


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Baltimore at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Houston at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Tampa Bay at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Seattle at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Kansas City at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
NY Mets at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact