A's Closer (no basis in fact?) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A's Closer (no basis in fact?)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A's Closer (no basis in fact?)

Postby matmat » Tue May 11, 2004 5:06 pm

Just read on another bulletin board (so I guess this is kinda like hear-say) that there was an As scout at recent redsox game... purportedly the As are looking at acquiring a closer. this would be quite a blow to rhodes owners, but possibly quite a boon for owners of whoever it is that the As would target (Kim? Williamson? Embree?)

has anyone heard anything about this?
read anything about this?

does kim have the stuff to still close games? (given his velocity is down)

can the As afford williamson?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bell » Tue May 11, 2004 5:13 pm

Interesting. Not to say you're wrong, but maybe the scout was also looking into a second baseman? I mean, Bellhorn would fit in quite well, no?
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Tue May 11, 2004 5:17 pm

If they were looking for a closer those names wouldn't be the ones I would put at the top of the list. Not so much of a question of the A's being able to afford them, but the BoSox couldn't afford to lose any of them.

Someone like Fuentes from Colorado or Lightenberg from Toronto might be available later on to teams looking for help. Whether or not it's the A's who go shopping is hard to say.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby SuperHippo » Tue May 11, 2004 5:22 pm

Williamson has a $3.2 Million deal. I don't think thats too out of reach.
SuperHippo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RynMan » Tue May 11, 2004 5:44 pm

bell wrote:Interesting. Not to say you're wrong, but maybe the scout was also looking into a second baseman? I mean, Bellhorn would fit in quite well, no?

Nah i dont see them going after a 2B. They have Mark McClemore coming back in the next week or so, and 3 backups to him.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bell » Tue May 11, 2004 6:07 pm

RynMan wrote:
bell wrote:Interesting. Not to say you're wrong, but maybe the scout was also looking into a second baseman? I mean, Bellhorn would fit in quite well, no?

Nah i dont see them going after a 2B. They have Mark McClemore coming back in the next week or so, and 3 backups to him.

I only suggest that because McClemore is 39 years old. Scutaro has like a .319 OBP, and Menechino is nothing more than that guy you don't want to have to be your starting second baseman.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Tue May 11, 2004 6:13 pm

bell wrote:
RynMan wrote:

I only suggest that because McClemore is 39 years old. Scutaro has like a .319 OBP, and Menechino is nothing more than that guy you don't want to have to be your starting second baseman.

yeah i agree there....none are desirable starters. But the A's are pretty tight when it comes to things like this :-/
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby GSes » Tue May 11, 2004 6:48 pm

I can see the A's trying to aquire a closer, but I honestly don't even see how Williamson or Kim, or to a lesser extent Lightenburg or Fuentes 8-o B-) B-) are better options then Rhodes?

Rhodes is 6/8 in save opps and his high era is inflated b/c of non save opps and a lack of work since the A's have been not winning the last few weeks.

If the A's are gonna aquire someone it would have to be someone better then decent.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers