Top Five Offensive Fantasy Players the rest of the season... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top Five Offensive Fantasy Players the rest of the season...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue May 11, 2004 3:18 pm

I'd have to agree w/ this. I got Soriano but ended up w/ Carlos Lee and Guillen in the O/F along w/ Ramirez...so now I have Nix and am keeping my fingers crossed Guillen REALLY is coming back. If I had a top o/f instead, I'd have had to 'punt' 2B and would probably have Womack or somebody like that.

I am not sure about these lists though as they seem pretty identical to the preseason ones but there are other guys out there who are tearing it up too. Sure they might fade but, as Yogi said, 'it isn't over until it's over'....

great gretzky wrote:scaricty only helps if that is turned into an advantage. soriano plays the most scarce position, yet still, people pciked two players on average ahead of him. At the end of the day, you still gotta take the best stats. beltran was absically 30-30 last year and missed over 100 at bats. entering the prime of his career as well. what's not to like.

he is very similar to kevin garnett in that regard. beltran will get you above average numbers - excellent numbers in every category.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Top Five Offensive Fantasy Players the rest of the season...

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 11, 2004 3:35 pm

Warpigs wrote:There's a reason Steinbrenner was so willing to trade him. There was no hesitation when it came to the A-Rod deal. I know that A-Rod is superior, but Soriano's numbers should have made it a little harder for the Yanks to deal him. Soriano is someone who can get cold quickly and although he can help in several categories, he's not the consistent all-around threat of players like A-Rod and Beltran. The only thing that keeps Soriano high on many peoples' lists is his position. There aren't a lot of quality 2b out there -- and that does definitely increase Soriano's value. However, when you compare him to everyone across the board, I just can't rank him above my top five listed above.

Let it rip..[/u]

There is a good reason why Steinbrenner let Soriano go. 2 big ones, actually:

1. Soriano's postseason was still fresh in his mind.
2. Steinbrenner is always more infatuated with other people's stars rather than his own.

Soriano's 2B eligibility certainly helps increase his value but there's more to it. Everyone jumps on the 2B bandwagon but his numbers would make him a 1st rounder regardless. People love Beltran and rightly so but let's look at their averages over the last 3 full seasons for each:

Soriano
157 G
651 AB
106 R
187 H
.287 AVG
32 HR
89 RBI
40 SB

Beltran
153 G
592 AB
107 R
174 H
.295 AVG
26 HR
102 RBI
36 SB

That's pretty close. Even closer when you consider that Soriano's RBI totals should increase since he's in the middle of the lineup as compared to the top.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Warpigs » Tue May 11, 2004 4:06 pm

I like your number comparison, but one thing sticks out -- Soriano had nearly 60 more at-bats than Beltran in your comparison. Give Beltran those 60 at-bats and re-compare and Beltran would be winning each category pretty easily.

Just an observation.
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby matmat » Tue May 11, 2004 4:20 pm

Warpigs wrote:I like your number comparison, but one thing sticks out -- Soriano had nearly 60 more at-bats than Beltran in your comparison. Give Beltran those 60 at-bats and re-compare and Beltran would be winning each category pretty easily.

Just an observation.

well.. i think beltran walked about 190 times 2001-2003 whereas sori only about 90. That makes up about 30 playe appearences. the rest, I guess can be attributed to their different positions in the lineup.

now that beltran is batting 2/3 and sori is entrenched in the rangers' 3 spot their # of plate appearences is going to be roughly equal. (132 to 136 right now) So the stats are going to be comparable in that sense. We'll wait and see, right?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AdvRider » Wed May 12, 2004 12:39 am

Juan Encarnacion
Eric Byrnes
Mike Cameron
Karim Garcia
Just Kidding
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 12, 2004 1:11 am

I agree that Beltran would be a better option if both were only OF but I put the stats up there to show that there isn't a ton of difference. People don't take Beltran because he is gonna hit 50 HR and drive in 130. They take him because he can hit .300 with 30/30 or 40/40 potential and drive in 100 runs. The same can be said for Soriano.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers