Top Five Offensive Fantasy Players the rest of the season... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top Five Offensive Fantasy Players the rest of the season...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top Five Offensive Fantasy Players the rest of the season...

Postby Warpigs » Tue May 11, 2004 12:30 pm

What are your picks for the five best all-around fantasy players offensively for the rest of 2004? Mine are:

1. A-Rod. I really think the aura of New York was a little overpowering at first. All these veterans needed time to mesh, and A-Rod has lately been showing signs of life. Considering his talent added with the quality players around him in the lineup, he will dominate the fantasy world by the end of the season.

2. Beltran. OK, let the arguements begin. I feel strongly about Beltran. No other player combines his multi-usefulness. He's just as strong a threat to belt a homer as he is to steal a base or hit for average. He's the total package and will be the cornerstone of fantasy baseball for a long time to come. He may overtake A-Rod at some point.

3. Pujols. He's a special combination of baseball talent who will be a force for a long time in the MLB. Been a little streaky at times, but as the Cardinals continue to gel more and more, so will Pujols' game improve. It helps that Pujols is eligible at both 1b and OF.

4. Vlad. Another all-around player who can carry a fantasy team in a number of categories. His production has been tempered some due to all the injuries around him. As the Angels get off the DL, he'll only improve with the increased protection in the order.

5. Bonds. One last spot and I neglect "studs" like Soriano, Delgado, etc.? Bonds is arguably one of the best players in baseball history. He may not steal bases like Beltran, but he can hit for average. Critics can argue all they want about steroids, but the Roids don't help his hand-eye coordination. Despite the recent hitting slump, it's unbelievable how incredible his batting average is despite the constant intentional walks he's dealt. The fact that he only gets around three pitches that are hittable in an average game keeps him a few notches below other players on this list, but by the end of the year, he will lead the league in batting average and possibly home runs. That's a true fantasy asset.

OK, ready for the firestorm of protest. No Soriano, you whine? There's a reason Steinbrenner was so willing to trade him. There was no hesitation when it came to the A-Rod deal. I know that A-Rod is superior, but Soriano's numbers should have made it a little harder for the Yanks to deal him. Soriano is someone who can get cold quickly and although he can help in several categories, he's not the consistent all-around threat of players like A-Rod and Beltran. The only thing that keeps Soriano high on many peoples' lists is his position. There aren't a lot of quality 2b out there -- and that does definitely increase Soriano's value. However, when you compare him to everyone across the board, I just can't rank him above my top five listed above.

Let it rip..[/u]
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 11, 2004 12:37 pm

Change the title of your thread to "Top Five Offensive MLB Players" if you aren't going to include Soriano.

Bonds is not as valuable fantasy wise as Helton, and especially Soriano. Bonds is the best player in the league IMO, but in a standard 5x5 roto league, he's towards the end of the top 10 players.

You will not find another 2B who can steal 30 bases, and hit close to 40 HRs, not to mention score and drive in a lot of runs while maintaining a good average.

This is not just my opinion, it's a general consensus here at the Cafe.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Two more

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 11, 2004 12:41 pm

Hmm...This question will always have those guys up there but im gonna go with these as my outside shots at MVP

Tejada

Miguel Cabrera

They could be huge...Cabrera is still young which you can see by his K's but he learns so quick and is getting better every day.

Tejada might be the most liked player in the league and is playing extremely well with only 4 HR's...Hell blow up and be top 5
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Tue May 11, 2004 12:46 pm

I'd go with the same guys I have in pre-rankings in slightly different order.

A-Rod
Pujols
Beltran
Soriano
Vlad/Helton
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 11, 2004 12:47 pm

blankman wrote:I'd go with the same guys I have in pre-rankings in slightly different order.

A-Rod
Pujols
Beltran
Soriano
Vlad/Helton

I think you nailed it....I also think Beltran and Soriano are interchangeable. Either could be a valid 3rd choice.

Bonds is somewhere between 6-10.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Warpigs » Tue May 11, 2004 12:47 pm

OK. I'll give you Helton. I could place him ahead of Bonds on my list and not really miss a beat. I still feel that Soriano won't reach everyone's expectations this season.
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue May 11, 2004 12:50 pm

Beltran
ARod
Pujols
Soriano
Tejada
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue May 11, 2004 12:51 pm

Beltran is underrated, even by those who place him 3rd behind Arod and Pujols. I think he will surpass Pujols, if not Arod too, this year, and reach 40-40. He is a better version of Soriano with the average thrown in. My analogy is that he is the Kevin Garnett of baseball. They are similar in that they get every category, and guess what, Garnett was the MVP of the NBA, and probably also the MVP of fantasy basketball. Look for great things from Beltran this year and for years to come.
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 11, 2004 12:54 pm

Once again, position scarcity is being ignored, and it's HUGE in fantasy baseball. Beltran's a great player, but A-Rod's 3B and SS eligibility, and Soriano's 2B eligibility can't be overlooked. Those factors are huge. Drafting OF talent in the mid-rounds of the draft is easy, but drafting viable infield talent in the mid-rounds isn't so easy.

I guess I could see Beltran over Pujols, but I think that's majorly arguable. If Pujols didn't get off to such a slow start, this wouldn't even be questioned.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby blankman » Tue May 11, 2004 1:08 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:Beltran is underrated, even by those who place him 3rd behind Arod and Pujols. I think he will surpass Pujols, if not Arod too, this year, and reach 40-40. He is a better version of Soriano with the average thrown in.

Again, when has Beltran ever hit 40 or even 30 HR before? I can't see him going 40-40 having never even hit 30 HR before. And as slomo said, you're forgetting about position.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers