BH KIM questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BH KIM questions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BH KIM questions

Postby osb » Tue May 11, 2004 1:12 am

so for the second start in a row this guy goes out and stinks it up...3.1inn/4er/3bb/5ha/L.... he shut down the devil rays, but they're the devil rays... i know cleveland is a pretty good offensive team but as i was watching the game and BBT the commentators were commenting on how his velocity is gone and how after a few times seeing him throw, a hitter basically gets over the novelty of the sidearm movement and he ends up as an average pitcher SINCE he doesn't have the velocity anymore... now is this just an extended spring training for him and nothing to worry about after a few outings, or does he deserve to be WW fodder...?
osb
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: somewhere in the hillbilly land of southwest Virginia

Postby bell » Tue May 11, 2004 1:18 am

While the sidearm delivery can be deceptive, that's not his major asset. What makes him a quality pitcher is the fact that his pitches can really move. Obviously if his velocity isn't there he isn't going to be very effective. So I'd say it's more like extended ST for him right now.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Melo255 » Tue May 11, 2004 1:19 am

Same thing I always say under these circumstances, give it more time. Bench him for a couple more starts and if your still unimpressed then drop him or try trade him. Keep in mind that all three of his starts so far he has been given an 85 pitch limit-that's not to say he hasn't done terribly because he has looked atrocious out there but based on past performance I don't see any reason to give up on him right away. Think of it as the Halladay theory. A few bad starts does not a season make.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby osb » Tue May 11, 2004 1:22 am

that's what i was thinking, but why not just leave him in the minors for a few starts instead of just one... i know they wanted him up there as soon as possible and he probably did too, but it's not like they couldn't just plug arroyo in there and get AT LEAST the same result...
osb
College Coach
College Coach

Location: somewhere in the hillbilly land of southwest Virginia

Postby jdh » Tue May 11, 2004 1:40 am

Francona has announced Kim has been dumped from the rotation:

Byung-Hyun Kim - S - BOS May. 11 - 1:27 am et

Manager Terry Francona said after tonight's game that he would pull Byung-Hyun Kim from the rotation and replace him with Bronson Arroyo.
The Red Sox couldn't have done much worse of a job of handling this situation. Kim's velocity is down, but it's not like that wasn't known going in. It's like he was being set up to fail. Anyway, Arroyo is probably the better short-term option of the two. He'll have quite a bit of value while starting.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BoSox4life » Tue May 11, 2004 1:44 am

So would you drop BH-Kim for Arroyo? Thoughts?
All I want out of life, is that when I walk down the street folks will say, "There goes the greatest hitter that ever lived."
--Ted Williams
BoSox4life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bell » Tue May 11, 2004 1:52 am

jdh wrote:Francona has announced Kim has been dumped from the rotation:

Byung-Hyun Kim - S - BOS May. 11 - 1:27 am et

Manager Terry Francona said after tonight's game that he would pull Byung-Hyun Kim from the rotation and replace him with Bronson Arroyo.
The Red Sox couldn't have done much worse of a job of handling this situation. Kim's velocity is down, but it's not like that wasn't known going in. It's like he was being set up to fail. Anyway, Arroyo is probably the better short-term option of the two. He'll have quite a bit of value while starting.

Wow, I couldn't agree with Rotoworld more.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jdh » Tue May 11, 2004 1:52 am

Who else is on your FA list for pitchers? I am not that big on Arroyo; he will get the wins on that team but the ERA and WHIP won't be too pretty, and its probably only a temporary move. If it's a keeper/dynasty league, you almost have to keep Kim stashed on your bench because of his possibility of resurfacing as a closer or putting it back together. In a single season league, I might look for a more reliable waiver starter if possible though. I'm just not sure I would want Arroyo. He's on the wire in my 15 team, 30 man roster dynasty league and I'm in no hurry to add him.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jeffc_76 » Tue May 11, 2004 2:01 am

Kim is bad news. Dump the gutless little puke and don't look back B-)
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Tue May 11, 2004 2:33 am

Kim is a late inning reliever, period. Perfect for a once through the lineup run, especially late in the game as he can really screw up a hitter that has been looking at a more mainstream delivery for seven or eight innings.

The fact that he wants to be a starter means nothing. I want to trade paychecks with Bill Gates. Well, you don't always get everything you want, and that's life. And the fact is I'm never going to get a Bill Gates paycheck, and Kim is never going to be a quality starter.

Roto owners can therefore do the one thing the Red Sox may not be able to do, which is dump the pain in the neck.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers