Should I dump this league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should I dump this league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should I dump this league?

Postby Tarkus » Mon May 10, 2004 11:38 pm

Okay, I'm in my first league so I'm looking for some advice. This league is basically a bunch of guys who know each other, there's no money or anything other than bragging rights at stake. I'm sort of the odd guy out. I was brought in by a very good friend of mine who knows most of the other guys from work experience. Nothing real major has happened but a bunch of little things have cropped up that are starting to build up:

1. I posted the availability of Garciapara a while back to see if anyone was interested. Not even a nibble.

2. I sent a guy a trade offer for Jeter. No response for days so I withdrew it.

3. Two guys recently completed a Bonds for Oswalt and C. Guillen trade. My friend and I vetoed this deal but we may have been the only ones since it went through. This is pretty much garbage IMHO. I would have offered considerably more for Bonds but the guy never shopped him.

4. Now I see the Commish allowed a guy to drop a guy on the Can't Cut List. I'm like wtf? How do you allow that? The Commish posted that the Can't Cut List was there to prevent you from accidently releasing one of your better players. I thought it was there to prevent guys dropping playings for friends to pick up on the Waiver Wire. The player was Renteria. But really that's not the point. The fact that he allowed him to drop him is what bothered me.

So all these things are really starting to add up. I'm doing okay in the league. I'm currently in second place, not that far out of first, and I've spent the second most days in first thus far. But still this is starting to appear a little lame to me. Am I overreacting? Thanks.

Tarkus
Winning may not be everything, but losing isn't anything.
Tarkus
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Should I dump this league?

Postby Pedro » Tue May 11, 2004 12:12 am

Tarkus wrote:Okay, I'm in my first league so I'm looking for some advice. This league is basically a bunch of guys who know each other, there's no money or anything other than bragging rights at stake. I'm sort of the odd guy out. I was brought in by a very good friend of mine who knows most of the other guys from work experience. Nothing real major has happened but a bunch of little things have cropped up that are starting to build up:

1. I posted the availability of Garciapara a while back to see if anyone was interested. Not even a nibble.

3. Two guys recently completed a Bonds for Oswalt and C. Guillen trade. My friend and I vetoed this deal but we may have been the only ones since it went through. This is pretty much garbage IMHO. I would have offered considerably more for Bonds but the guy never shopped him.

4. Now I see the Commish allowed a guy to drop a guy on the Can't Cut List. I'm like wtf? How do you allow that? The Commish posted that the Can't Cut List was there to prevent you from accidently releasing one of your better players. I thought it was there to prevent guys dropping playings for friends to pick up on the Waiver Wire. The player was Renteria. But really that's not the point. The fact that he allowed him to drop him is what bothered me.

So all these things are really starting to add up. I'm doing okay in the league. I'm currently in second place, not that far out of first, and I've spent the second most days in first thus far. But still this is starting to appear a little lame to me. Am I overreacting? Thanks.

Tarkus

No offense, but yes, you are overreacting. ;-)

Those are pretty minor problems, and it seems like for the most part the league is fine, I'd stick with it.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Tue May 11, 2004 12:58 am

yes possibly overeacting to a degree..... I am not sure but it sounds (from the dont drop list comments)like your using the cbssportsline website for stats. If that is the case i THINK it only applies AFTER the allstar break if i am not mistaken? Anyhow when it comes to moves, trades, and such there is a VERY thin line between legit and cheating. You would be a fool not to be looking out for foul play. However, that said if you are looking too hard for it you will see it where it doesn't exist. Dropping Renteria, is monumentally stupid no doubt about it. I guess you have to ask yourself is this guy that did it a newbie? Newbies have a tendency to make MONUMENTALY stupid moves. I did when i was new years ago. Hell i still make bad moves at times. MONUMENTALY stupid is Monumentally stupid but it is NOT cheating. Also people view and value players differently. Just look at the ranking lists people put on this site to see that. Sure EVERYONE can more or less agree on the top ten but after that forget about it.....Bottom line: i wont go so far as to say that you are overeacting but think that MAYBE you are. You having to ask whether or not you are should be answer enough for you. If you have any doubt that the moves or deals are okay then in my mind you have to give them the benifit of the doubt and leave it be.

Just my opinion...

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WhiteHot » Tue May 11, 2004 1:05 am

Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

It probably applies in this case.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Freebird27 » Tue May 11, 2004 1:09 am

The waiving of Renteria would bother me, but if these guys are a bunch of friends then ya probably dont have to worry about cheating so much...as far as the trades, sometimes no one bites on trade offers, not that uncommon some times and definately not worth bailing on a league over...and the Bonds deal for Oz and Guillen....I would take that in a heartbeat in my league...course it is a keeper. I don't see that deal as too far off though....Seeing all the 0-1 and 1-2's gets frustrating with all his damned walks unless OB% counts...
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 11, 2004 1:52 am

A few thoughts on your questions/concerns:

1. Sometimes, you need more than just a post on the message board. Offer something to start the discussions (at least). In Yahoo, that generates an e-mail as well as putting a notice on my team page. Half of the time, I don't even look at the message board because it's useless babble.
2. Some people don't check their teams/e-mail often so they don't respond to offers. On the other hand, some people don't respond unless they accept it. If you don't like that, then withdraw it. No biggie.
3. When looking at trades, make sure that you see what each team needs and not just the names. A lot of people are saying that Oswalt is a CY Young candidate this year. Trading a stud OF who will get walked over 200 times for a potential Cy Young candidate isn't that bad. Next time, instead of getting upset that you would have offered more for a player, be proactive and make an offer to start discussions.
4. This would upset me. The CCL is there so that people don't get mad and dump their good players. A mistake is a mistake if you drop the wrong guy. It has happened to my league before and the guy just stated the problem and then he picked him back up.

I would say that you overreacted but you live and learn. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby GSes » Tue May 11, 2004 2:20 am

you think your league has problems?

man that league sounds great to me......... :-D :-D :-D

don't overreact, it could be worse, a lot worse, trust me! :-D :-D
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Should I dump this league?

Postby Madison » Tue May 11, 2004 10:54 am

Tarkus wrote:Okay, I'm in my first league so I'm looking for some advice. This league is basically a bunch of guys who know each other, there's no money or anything other than bragging rights at stake. I'm sort of the odd guy out. I was brought in by a very good friend of mine who knows most of the other guys from work experience. Nothing real major has happened but a bunch of little things have cropped up that are starting to build up:

Tarkus

#1---Nomar's on the DL. Who knows what he's going to do when he returns? Personally, I think he will be fine, but quite a few people are hesitant to trade for an injured player.

#2---He could have been out of town, thinking about the deal, didn't want to do the deal, etc. Several reasons for him not to respond.

#3---I see nothing wrong with the trade. It's a fair deal with no reason for a veto at all.

#4---Cutting Renteria is a very dumb move. I agree on that one. I have no idea what the owner was thinking there and I don't know why the commish allowed it to happen.

All in all, yes, you are overreacting. The only thing that's out of the ordinary is that someone cut Renteria. Odd, but not worth dropping the league over.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue May 11, 2004 11:00 am

I second Madison's thoughts. The only thing that bugs me is dropping Renteria.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mordraken » Tue May 11, 2004 11:56 am

Transmogrifier wrote:I second Madison's thoughts. The only thing that bugs me is dropping Renteria.

Also agree. Hope you put in a waiver request on renteria...
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers