First round worthy picks. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

First round worthy picks.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First round worthy picks.

Postby Sledge » Mon May 10, 2004 10:41 pm

Hi. I am having my first 10 team live draft on Wednesday, I am trying to decide who is worthy of a first round pick.

I have these players so far - Alex Rodriguez, Albert Pujols, Carlos Beltran, Alfonso Soriano, Vladimir Guerrero and Todd Helton. Any help on some others who might be worth it in a H2H points league would be much appreciated and put to good use.

Also what would be a reasonable round to take Scott Rolen in? 2nd?

Thank you in advance and I really appreciate any responses.
Sledge Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon May 10, 2004 10:49 pm

I took Rolen as the first pick of the second round in a 10 team non keeper league this year, and haven't been dissapointed so far. In hind sight I think that is a little high, more middle ro late 2nd type player really I guess, but as a Card's fan I couldn't pass. :-D Based on current performances I would consider Bonds in leagues that count OBP and walks....Manny Ramirez and Sheff are border line first rounders (Sheff on past performance reallly)....On a different note, personally I think taking a pitcher with the exception of maybe Gagne isn't very smart for the first round. By round 2-3 there are still solid options left for pitching.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon May 10, 2004 11:00 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I took Rolen as the first pick of the second round in a 10 team non keeper league this year, and haven't been dissapointed so far. In hind sight I think that is a little high, more middle ro late 2nd type player really I guess, but as a Card's fan I couldn't pass. :-D Based on current performances I would consider Bonds in leagues that count OBP and walks....Manny Ramirez and Sheff are border line first rounders (Sheff on past performance reallly)....On a different note, personally I think taking a pitcher with the exception of maybe Gagne isn't very smart for the first round. By round 2-3 there are still solid options left for pitching.

You would take Gagne in the first round?! There's only ONE pitcher that should even be considered in the first round, and he's sitting on the DL right now.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pedro » Mon May 10, 2004 11:09 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I took Rolen as the first pick of the second round in a 10 team non keeper league this year, and haven't been dissapointed so far. In hind sight I think that is a little high, more middle ro late 2nd type player really I guess, but as a Card's fan I couldn't pass. :-D Based on current performances I would consider Bonds in leagues that count OBP and walks....Manny Ramirez and Sheff are border line first rounders (Sheff on past performance reallly)....On a different note, personally I think taking a pitcher with the exception of maybe Gagne isn't very smart for the first round. By round 2-3 there are still solid options left for pitching.

You would take Gagne in the first round?! There's only ONE pitcher that should even be considered in the first round, and he's sitting on the DL right now.

I'd take Gagne in the first round in a H2H points league if I had a late pick ( 8-10 ). I'd also take Schilling, Wood or a healthy Prior in the first round.

Some others worthy of first round consideration - Gagne, Schilling, Bonds, Manny ;-D and Wood.

I would not take Rolen any earlier than the 3rd round personally. There are plenty of viable, comparable options in Glaus, Blalock, Lowell, etc who should be available in later rounds.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Mon May 10, 2004 11:30 pm

I would never take Gagne in a H2H league with a first round pick. All he will help you out is saves. In weekly stats he won't make a big difference in K's or ERA and WHIP.

For a Roto league it's totally different. JMO!

For my only H2H team
MY closers are

Dotel
Graves
Borowski
Percival
Izzy

I am plesed with the results and I didn't waste an early round pick on a closer, but this is just my strategy for H2H
[color=blue][size=24]2005 Fantasy Baseball Champion[/size][/color]
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pedro » Mon May 10, 2004 11:33 pm

NY Yankees Fan 2004 wrote:I would never take Gagne in a H2H league with a first round pick. All he will help you out is saves. In weekly stats he won't make a big difference in K's or ERA and WHIP.

For my only H2H team
MY closers are

Dotel
Graves
Borowski
Percival
Izzy

I am plesed with the results and I didn't waste an early round pick on a closer, but this is just my strategy for H2H

Yeah but it's a H2H points league, I'm in a H2H points league and saves are worth just as much as wins, not sure how it is with every points league but closers are as valuable as starters in most cases.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue May 11, 2004 2:53 am

Pedro wrote:
NY Yankees Fan 2004 wrote:I would never take Gagne in a H2H league with a first round pick. All he will help you out is saves. In weekly stats he won't make a big difference in K's or ERA and WHIP.

For my only H2H team
MY closers are

Dotel
Graves
Borowski
Percival
Izzy

Yeah but it's a H2H points league, I'm in a H2H points league and saves are worth just as much as wins, not sure how it is with every points league but closers are as valuable as starters in most cases.

Im in a H2H points league as well and Saves and Wins get the same amount of points. So when you think about it... closers really are more valuable in H2H pts leagues because closers can get you 2,3 or 4 saves a week which a SP can get you 1 win.. maybe 2 if he pitches twice. There's a guy in our league that tried this strategey this year of drafting closers early and often. He took Gagne 1st Rd,Wagner 2nd Rd, MoRivera 3rd, Dotel 4th, and then took a hitter in the 5th and 6th then more closers later on. I thought this was a bit extreme. But so far he's 2nd in the league in record at 4-1 and 4th overall in points scored. The thing he tells me after my pitcher that I'm counting on to get a win like Hudson or Schimdt and they dont is that the next day.. he's got 7 more chances to get a save where as my pitcher is done for the week. So while others may disagree with taking a top closer like Gagne,Smoltz,Wagner,Foulke 1st Rd, in H2H points leagues i could see that being a very wise move. It's workin for this guy. Oh yeah.. I've got Hudson,Schmidt,Millwood,Foulke,Nathan and 2 guys I switch up depending on who they face that I start every week.. im 1-4 and 6th in overall points. So his strat is looking pretty good to me so far.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PresHabib » Tue May 11, 2004 8:18 am

In a H2H points league, I don't see how you can't take gagne first. And if Gagne is gone by your first pick, I don't see how you can't take another top closer in his stead. That's why I hate points leagues, saves should not be worth as much as wins, it greatly reduces the value of starting pitching I think, and I LOVE building a strong staff of starters :-D

And i believe Schilling, Wood, and a healthy Prior are good starters to take in the first round.

If this helps, my preseason draft rankings list went something like this:

A-rod, Pujols, Helton, Soriano, Beltran (i did not stick to drafting beltran if he was available past 5 and I am mad at myself for it), Delgado, Schilling, Prior (wasn't hurt yet), Wood (I got him 26th overall though so maybe he'll be around at the end of round 3?), Garciaparra (also wasn't hurt yet), Halladay, Tejada, Boone, Pedro, Manny, Magglio, Big Unit...

Other than those hurt guys and Bret Boone, you can't argue with any of those guys as a first pick. Actually, I wouldn't take Boone or Pedro with a first pick, nor would I take Magglio first because I would wait to find a guy who can do ALMOST as much later while stacking up my infield and pitching.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Tue May 11, 2004 8:42 am

PresHabib wrote:In a H2H points league, I don't see how you can't take gagne first. And if Gagne is gone by your first pick, I don't see how you can't take another top closer in his stead. That's why I hate points leagues, saves should not be worth as much as wins, it greatly reduces the value of starting pitching I think, and I LOVE building a strong staff of starters :-D

right on ;-D thats why im mostly into roto...
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Tue May 11, 2004 1:00 pm

I would disagree at least for H2H leagues with daily lineup changes. I have 7 SP's pitching every week, my closers non SV stats do very little to win or lose era and whip each week. In addition while Gange is great, the dodgers are gonna have problems scoring runs once beltre slumps back to uselessness. No way in the world I'd take Gange first round.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers