Mondesi: 'I won't play again this season' - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Mondesi: 'I won't play again this season'

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mondesi: 'I won't play again this season'

Postby WebHamster » Mon May 10, 2004 10:00 pm

Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Pittsburgh Pirates rightfielder Raul Mondesi, who left the team on Saturday, told a reporter on Monday that he will not play again this season.

The Pirates said Saturday that Mondesi went to the Dominican Republic to address personal issues.

"I won't play another game this season," Mondesi said Monday in an interview with an international wire service reporter. "I can't concentrate well enough to play baseball. I don't want to become a distraction for the team. This is the best for the Pirates, for myself and my family," he told The Associated Press.

In February, a Dominican civil court ruled that Mondesi owed former major leaguer Mario Guerrero over $600,000 for working with him on improving his baseball skills. Mondesi's reason for leaving the team his uncertain at this point.

Mondesi appealed the ruling, but his paychecks have been withheld and placed in an interest-bearing account because of ruling in the Dominican Republic.

The 33-year-old Mondesi, who signed a one-year contract with Pittsburgh as a free agent in the offseason, is batting .280 with two homers and 14 RBI in 26 games for the Pirates. The former NL Rookie of the Year, All-Star and two-time Gold Glove winner is playing with his fifth team since making his major league debut with the Dodgers in 1993.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 557)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Injuries & Player Updates