Yahoo H2H: Is there a strategy or is it just dumb luck? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo H2H: Is there a strategy or is it just dumb luck?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ironman » Tue May 11, 2004 10:26 am

Wow. Some good points made by all. I'm glad to see some roto-heads got in and made some posts. I was afraid it was becoming a one-sided argument when I read the first page.

I do agree that its easy to punt categories and the whole draft a solid offense and play musical starters with your pitching can get you far. But if that system is abused to much it can ruin the fun of the league. There are ways around that. In the past I've set transaction limits to 40 moves per season. It really deters the manager that is swapping out Aaron Harang for Mike Maroth on a regular basis. Adding losses as a category is good too but may not necessarily detract managers from trying. My H2H league is comprised of 20 teams so given how deep everyone's rosters go, and how shallow the FA pool can be, its extremely difficult to play that scenario, couple that with a 20 team draft with 5 keepers, its not that easy to throw together a team that is stacked on offense anyway. Of course my league is probably far from the norm.

I will admit, if I'm doing a league that has only 10-12 teams I'd almost rather do roto. But with larger leagues I like H2H.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bladehunter » Tue May 11, 2004 2:57 pm

Just felt the need to comment here, I think Head2Head is a lot more fun then roto, but agree that it's does'nt always lead to the best team winning, but I do think there is a lot of stratagy involved, more so on the pitching side then the hitting side......Yea you can use the spot start strat to seal win's and K's, but you risk loosing era,whip,walks,losses you win 2 but will likely loose 4 if your oppenent is smart and chooses the right strat for his pitchers....Ultimatly to win Head2Head you gotta be managing your team daily, even in a 10-12 team league, even if you have a terrible draft if you work at it daily you can pick up enough guys off waivers to put together a middle of the pack or better team......
bladehunter
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby matmat » Tue May 11, 2004 3:05 pm

I think that h2h would be little bit fairer if you you were allowed only weekly roster changes but daily lineup changes. Not everyone has the same amount of time to spend looking for the spot starts of the day. I also think that given peoples strategies the draft becomes a lot less important (aside from drafting boppers) than in a roto -- maybe that's why people like it so much, because they don't want to prep for the draft too much,
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rolenfan » Tue May 11, 2004 4:03 pm

ironman wrote:I do agree that its easy to punt categories and the whole draft a solid offense and play musical starters with your pitching can get you far. But if that system is abused to much it can ruin the fun of the league. There are ways around that. In the past I've set transaction limits to 40 moves per season. It really deters the manager that is swapping out Aaron Harang for Mike Maroth on a regular basis.

I got in a H2H this year because they needed another team to fill the league. It's kina fun, but the top four teams have basically no life and spend every waking moment poring over pitching matchups and swapping out starters. It is working for them, but it sucks for the rest of us that don't have that time available. By 7am, they have already switched up their pitching and even if I had the time, their isn't much left to pick from.

For example, I have Halladay, V. Zambrano and J. Schmidt as SP. All pretty good K guys averaging nearly 1 K per inn. Last week, I got beat in the K category by 25 K's! That shouldn't happen.

I won't do H2H again unless there is a transaction limit.
"You can observe a lot by watching" Yogi
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue May 11, 2004 4:16 pm

I like the weekly roster/ daily lineup changes!!

I do a 10 team H2H w/ 13x13 scoring categories. We did that last year and the 5x5 midseason roto league was not as competitive. While it might seem as if having more categories would make it easier to punt as the value of each category would go down, there were still a ton of very close matchups and people who punted found themselves losing these. This year we tried adding holds and that has not been quite as much fun as we had hoped.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby rolenfan » Tue May 11, 2004 4:30 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:I like the weekly roster/ daily lineup changes!!

Yeah, that would work for me too. One or the other to keep it fair for those of us that have jobs and families.

There would still be plenty of strategy involved. Pitcher/Hitter matchups, try for Avg. vs. SB's, etc.
"You can observe a lot by watching" Yogi
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ironman » Tue May 11, 2004 5:25 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:I like the weekly roster/ daily lineup changes!!

I do a 10 team H2H w/ 13x13 scoring categories. We did that last year and the 5x5 midseason roto league was not as competitive. While it might seem as if having more categories would make it easier to punt as the value of each category would go down, there were still a ton of very close matchups and people who punted found themselves losing these. This year we tried adding holds and that has not been quite as much fun as we had hoped.

Although it gives more value to MR, holds really doesn't work that great from a weekly scoring standpoint. I find myself getting two holds in a week sometimes and that will more than enough to win the category.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue May 11, 2004 5:56 pm

It seems to be almost impossible to predict who is or isn't going to get holds. I do keep winning the category, as I have Worrell who's good for 2 a week but that's not really helping the team out as much as I'd hoped. We switched it for GIDP that we used last year. I liked having that a bit more as it was a way to 'add value' to pitchers who did not necessarily strike everybody out.

ironman wrote:
Although it gives more value to MR, holds really doesn't work that great from a weekly scoring standpoint. I find myself getting two holds in a week sometimes and that will more than enough to win the category.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby federo » Tue May 11, 2004 6:43 pm

bladehunter wrote:Just felt the need to comment here, I think Head2Head is a lot more fun then roto, but agree that it's does'nt always lead to the best team winning, but I do think there is a lot of stratagy involved, more so on the pitching side then the hitting side......Yea you can use the spot start strat to seal win's and K's, but you risk loosing era,whip,walks,losses you win 2 but will likely loose 4 if your oppenent is smart and chooses the right strat for his pitchers....

Well that's totally different. I am just talking about leagues with W/K/ERA/WHIP/SV. If walks and losses are added then I would try a totally different strategy much more weighted toward stud starting pitchers.
federo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby 4Pack » Tue May 11, 2004 7:44 pm

Been playing in a private Yahoo H2H league for 4 years. After the lst couple seasons it got to be sickening. That daily pitcher pickup deal was just ruining the league. Mangers would have 10 SP's on their roster and still have a couple floaters to drp and pickup pitchers every week. I had very solid pitching staffs...but only 7 of them. I managed to win ERA and WHIP every week...but that was little consolation since I lost the other pitching categories because of lack of starts. It was getting to the point where Curt Schilling was only slightly more valuable than Glendon Rusch.

We have modified the league rules now a bit to prevent that sort of thing from happening again. We are only allowed 2 pitcher pickups per week per team....have cut down roster sizes....and limited transactions. It has made for a league that is much more competitive and one where having quality pitchers is a must. No more seeing 5.00 ERA's and 2.50 WHIP's winning categories every week.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers