Yahoo H2H: Is there a strategy or is it just dumb luck? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo H2H: Is there a strategy or is it just dumb luck?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thetruth » Mon May 10, 2004 8:01 pm

it also depends on the scoring of H2H. if you simply get one win or one loss, the previously mentioned strategy of loading up on hitters and spot starters is tough to beat and almost unfair. if the scoring is like most yahoo leagues and say you'd go 7-3, you can be in trouble in the playoffs when you don't win the categories you are "supposed to" win.
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbones733 » Mon May 10, 2004 8:12 pm

thetruth wrote:it also depends on the scoring of H2H. if you simply get one win or one loss, the previously mentioned strategy of loading up on hitters and spot starters is tough to beat and almost unfair. if the scoring is like most yahoo leagues and say you'd go 7-3, you can be in trouble in the playoffs when you don't win the categories you are "supposed to" win.

thats not fantasy baseball, thats stupid. i dont know how people have fun like that or have fun in public leagues either, i understand some people have no other options, but i would neevr play in a public league. you have to be able to find some freidns or some people online to let u join a league,
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby federo » Mon May 10, 2004 8:16 pm

I do play in yahoo leagues, so it's not just one win or loss each week, but in the playoffs that's all that matters. If you build a great offense, get 3 or 4 closers and assure yourself of winning 2 of ERA/WHIP/W/K every week, and no one else in your league does it too, I'd say you have about a 90% chance of wnning your league.
federo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DK » Mon May 10, 2004 9:24 pm

A strategy for H2H:

Focus on six categories. Get SB, R, ERA, WHIP, K, and another one. I'd try to get some stud closers to get you SV, ERA, WHIP. That way, you win 6-4 most weeks (give or take).

In Roto, you can't punt any categories. You have to build a much more well-balanced team. That's why I prefer it.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby juh915 » Mon May 10, 2004 9:30 pm

personally i like H2H because i've been in a roto league where half the managers just completely lose interest halfway through the season. so from now on, i've done H2H because as long as you're in the playoffs, you have a chance.

i've finished first in the regular season the only 2 times i've done H2H and lost in the playoffs both years. the first year i won the regular season by 50 games (10 categories) but lost in the second round of the playoffs because of a horrible week. the second year i barely lost in the finals, i actually tied in the number of categories won. even with all that, i like H2H just because everyone has a chance. you don't feel out of it halfway through the season. i figure, as long as i make the playoffs, i can win. i think it just keeps people more motivated to keep making the league fun. and for the leagues with active managers, that's great, but it's tough to have that.
juh915
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Nemo » Mon May 10, 2004 9:51 pm

This is my first year doing H2H. At first it just didn't seem right for baseball, though I'd done it for football obviously and basketball. I reluctantly joined the basketball league because the same group I always play with started it and they needed another team. I find the NBA basically unwatchable, so don't know much about it and don't care to. I had a pretty marginal team, but made the playoffs in 5th place and actually made it to the finals and lost. Had it been a roto style league, I probably wouldn't have given it half the effort in the 2nd half that I did. I think the same holds true for baseball, it just keeps more people trying.

It would be very cool to have a linked roto/H2H league to see how the tams would do under each scoring system. I'm winning our H2H league by 10.5 games, but have no clue how I'd be doing in Roto!
Nemo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon May 10, 2004 10:19 pm

I hate it for baseball. The stupid all offense, spot starter pitching crap is the stupidest part. either everyone does it or the 4 guys that do get in the playoffs. Roto needs more balance, so I like it better. For football, H2H captures the essence of football more than H2H for baseball.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Mon May 10, 2004 11:07 pm

federo wrote:H2H is all about strategy and has little to do with luck. Since I started playing in H2H leagues last June I have gone 23-1, with the one loss coming my first week before I used the strategy that bleach mentioned of sacrificing pitching to build a great offense and then loading up on spot starters to assure victory in W and K every week. This strategy is almost unbeatable unless your opponent uses it too. In H2H leagues it is absolutely critical to play matchups and have a few roster spots you can use to rotate in spot starters, fill empty starting spots on offense on Mondays and Thursdays and bench slumping sluggers for hot FA bats.

It's also important at the beginning of every week to form a strategy based on your opponent's strengths and weaknesses. I always map out who his starters are facing vs. the teams my starters are facing. And then on the weekend, especially Sunday, you have to check all your cats to know which ones are won/lost and which ones are still up in the air. Like say it's Sunday night and you have Jason Giambi left and your opponent has no one. If you have already won HR, RBI, have no chance at SB or R and are 3 points ahead in BA, you've got to bench Giambi.

I respectfully disagree with some of what you said. IMHO, roto is about the best team over the course of the season and H2H is about the best for that week. Saying that H2H isn't about luck is wrong, IMHO. You can dominate the whole year but if you get bad luck, 1 week can kill your season. 1 or 2 injuries or bad starts and your season could be over. That's luck. As for churning starters all week, it depends on the cats. What works for me to dissuade people from doing this is to put losses as a cat. I also question whether ERA and WHIP will be helped with this technique. Chances are that those guys on the WW aren't the best.

I like to play in a league where the best team is rewarded and not who happens to be at their computer the most. This is my 1sr season playing roto and, while I like it, my league doesn't as much as H2H because H2H makes you feel like you are doing more because your matchup is different each week.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby wrveres » Tue May 11, 2004 12:23 am

bleach168 wrote:but it all seems to detract from the true feel of real baseball. That's why I prefer roto. Feels more "right" to me.

bleach ... I agree ..

As to the original post ....
Ironman, If there was ever a week to show you that H2H is all luck, this last week should have been the one.
In one of our leagues, My last place team beat your front running team ... :-D

and in the other, My first place team lost to one of the last place teams ... :,-(

I never played true H2H until last year, and now I have have three teams doing it. So I kinda blame you for my sanity Iron, you got me hooked on this garbage. ;-)

But in one of my Roto leagues, we have a side H2H game that we keep track of separatly. Funny is, the same guy always seems to win the H2H but never wins the season. The payout is bigger for the Roto, Like 10 times bigger so I never even pay attention to it quite honestly ...
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

Postby federo » Tue May 11, 2004 2:11 am

Lofunzo wrote:I respectfully disagree with some of what you said. IMHO, roto is about the best team over the course of the season and H2H is about the best for that week. Saying that H2H isn't about luck is wrong, IMHO. You can dominate the whole year but if you get bad luck, 1 week can kill your season. 1 or 2 injuries or bad starts and your season could be over. That's luck

Well, yeah, of course luck plays a part on a weekly basis, but I was talking about the season as a whole. In the end the best teams will be at the top and the worst at the bottom. Playoffs are a different story with more luck involved, but even then I think team quality and managerial skill is a much bigger factor. What it really comes down to is how active teams and leagues are. The more active you are, the less your team will be affected by luck and vice versa. I like H2H because it rewards the active managers and I get to compete against a different team every week.

>>> As for churning starters all week, it depends on the cats. What works for me to dissuade people from doing this is to put losses as a cat. I also question whether ERA and WHIP will be helped with this technique. Chances are that those guys on the WW aren't the best. <<<

Of course it will probably hurt your ERA and WHIP most weeks, but the goal is to not lose more than 2 of ERA/WHIP/W/K. If you go 2-2 in those cats, sacrifice pitching for a great offense and have 3 or 4 closers you should go a minimum of 6-4 every week. But I don't just throw ERA and WHIP, I do try to win them. I only really start spot starting a lot if I don't think I'm going to win ERA and WHIP.

But I totally see what you guys are saying about this taking the fun out of it. In one league I'm in there is L and no K and there is no advantage for totals over ratios and I think it's been even more fun. I still spot start like a madman with my hitters and pitchers, but it's much more risky.
federo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers