Vlad - No SB's this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vlad - No SB's this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vlad - No SB's this year?

Postby pitnit » Mon May 10, 2004 4:22 pm

I'm sure most of us who drafted Vlad this season weren't expecting a 40 sb or even a 30 sb year from him, with his back and all. But I'm surprised that he hasn't even attempted to steal a base this year. He's been hitting the ball great so far, but I'm sure we were expecting at least 15-20 sb's from him this season, which seems pretty much of the question now. To me, it's those steals that warrants him such a high pick in most drafts.
pitnit
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 10, 2004 4:23 pm

I have watched a couple Anaheim games this year, and I have to say that Vlad doesn't even look fast anymore. His body is just so big and bulky that he doesn't seem to have the speed he once had. I would expect no more than 10 SBs this year...not far away from the average OFer.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby thetongueofire » Mon May 10, 2004 4:25 pm

im sure that hes still a first round pick even without the steals ;-D anyways with the backbrace and the sweet linup i dont think i also would've expected more than 10...
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Mon May 10, 2004 4:32 pm

i think he is also battling knee tendonitis.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jbones733 » Mon May 10, 2004 5:04 pm

yeah, i would be suprised to see 5 sb's , I cam into the year expecting nothing in that category,. any stolen bases would of been a plus. I want the .330 avg 40+ homers & 100+ ribbie's
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon May 10, 2004 5:08 pm

I expected a zero in the SB category as well, but I can't say I'm displeased with his overall production thus far. Over the last couple of games he has just missed a couple of HRs, it's just a matter of time before he starts cranking them out with a little more regularity. In any case, the AVG and run production numbers are there, so he'll easily be a huge four tool stud, which still warrants a pick between 5th and 8th overall IMO.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 233)

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 10, 2004 5:09 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:I expected a zero in the SB category as well, but I can't say I'm displeased with his overall production thus far. Over the last couple of games he has just missed a couple of HRs, it's just a matter of time before he starts cranking them out with a little more regularity. In any case, the AVG and run production numbers are there, so he'll easily be a huge four tool stud, which still warrants a pick between 5th and 8th overall IMO.

I agree, but it's the people who picked him 1-4, and before Beltran that made the mistake. He went 4th in my league...much earlier than I was expecting. Helton dropped to 8th and Beltran 6th.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Steve Kemp » Mon May 10, 2004 5:15 pm

He looks like he's in pain whenever me moves, but he's still a monster and will put up 340, 40, 100/120 and I'll be happy.
Alan Trammell should be in the Hall
Steve Kemp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GSes » Mon May 10, 2004 5:18 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:I expected a zero in the SB category as well, but I can't say I'm displeased with his overall production thus far. Over the last couple of games he has just missed a couple of HRs, it's just a matter of time before he starts cranking them out with a little more regularity. In any case, the AVG and run production numbers are there, so he'll easily be a huge four tool stud, which still warrants a pick between 5th and 8th overall IMO.

completely agree. Just to proove that Vlad will not steal anything the season, I remeber a few weeks ago watching an Angels game and they replaced him for a pinch runner 8-o 8-o during a clutch time where they needed speed. That right there did it for me, the 40SB days of Vlad are over.

However in the 2nd half of the season and as the season goes on his injuries should get better and he will be fellin better. He might still pull out 10-15 sb.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon May 10, 2004 5:21 pm

I'm not quite ready to concede that picking him before Beltran was a mistake. If it turns out to be, count me among those who made it. I still think Vlad is capable of significantly more run production than Beltran, which could offset the obvious difference in SBs. Time will tell. Beltran is the one off to the hot start, but Vlad is capable of some ridiculous numbers if he gets on a roll, not to mention 20 points higher in the BA.

And for those of you who are saying "Man, when is Vlad going to hit some more HRs?" (He only has 6 thus far, not that that is a low total, but there are several higher) Remember not to put too much emphasis on starts.

In the season that Maris hit 61, he only had 3 in April. In the memorable 1998 season, in which Sosa hit 66, he only had 9 entering the month of June.

That being said, I'll still happily set Vlad's over/under at 45.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 233)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers