Jay Gibbons - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jay Gibbons

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jay Gibbons

Postby mtarail » Tue May 11, 2004 12:48 am

Dans wrote:Why does he get no love? He's hitting .234 and still has 23 RBI. Batting 6th in that lineup, imagine if he hits .280. I'm not sure how to find a stat on RBI opportunities but I bet he's up there. I'm not saying he's a top OF, but does anyone else think he can knock in 120?

Because in a 12 team mixed league outfielders than can hit .280 and drive in 100 with 20-25 hr's aren't hard to come by. They're a very small step above anyone you can grab from free agency.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby G-Man » Tue May 11, 2004 8:03 am

Tavish wrote:I give him no love because players that can hit 20-25 HR and knock in 90-100 are available all over the place. You can find quite a few on WW that are hitting more than sub- .240. Plus some of them can grab enough steals to add more value.

100-RBI producers shouldn't be available all over the place unless it is a shallow league. A guy who will knock in 100 is probably worth a roster spot.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Tue May 11, 2004 4:48 pm

100-RBI producers shouldn't be available all over the place unless it is a shallow league. A guy who will knock in 100 is probably worth a roster spot.

I never claimed that someone like Gibbons isn't worth a roster spot, only that there is a reason he doesn't get alot of love. There was around 30 players last year that had 20 HR and 90+ RBIs. Gibbons ranks near the bottom of those players in Runs Scored and he didn't have a single steal.

As far as being available all over the place, many off these types of players can be traded for at a pretty low value and every year there are a handful of new players who jump up into that class that went undrafted.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers