Who'd you prefer long-term: Peavy or Zambrano?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who'd you prefer long-term: Peavy or Zambrano??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Sun May 09, 2004 6:35 pm

I'm with the rest. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Sun May 09, 2004 6:35 pm

I would want to keep Peavy, but try to acquire more for Zambrano...because he commands higher value. I think he's getting TJ soon...I don't like to predict injuries, but Dusty rides him way too hard.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRaven » Sun May 09, 2004 6:54 pm

I would pick Z too, though both should be awesome. I wouldnt trade Peavy for just Gerut and Prince though...I would hold out for more.
TheRaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby warrick95 » Sun May 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Apparently you haven't heard of Prince's potential then...
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun May 09, 2004 8:51 pm

All you people are on Bakers case about pitch count. I think he knows his players better than you, and they can handle that amount. They are young athletes, they can throw over a 100 a game. Id keep Zambrano, and I doubt he will have tommy john surgery, since he doesnt throw a curveball (which overuse usually leads to TJ)
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bucsfan04 » Sun May 09, 2004 10:12 pm

I'd take zambrano by a mile. He has amazing potential.
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby HOOTIE » Sun May 09, 2004 11:25 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:All you people are on Bakers case about pitch count. I think he knows his players better than you, and they can handle that amount. They are young athletes, they can throw over a 100 a game. Id keep Zambrano, and I doubt he will have tommy john surgery, since he doesnt throw a curveball (which overuse usually leads to TJ)

How do you know they can handle that amount? Too bad someone didn't watch Wood closer. He has a nice scar. Over using a young arm is risky. I guess Baker can foresee the future.

Both are close. If i had to choose. i keep Peavy. Btw, as good as Fielder is, i'm not sure i make that deal.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 303)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Registered_Guest » Sun May 09, 2004 11:35 pm

Thank you Hootie, glad you answered.

As a Cub fan, I love Zambrano but Peavy's BB/K combined with K/IP is more impressive to me than Zambrano's past (minors included) -- which makes the decision tougher for me.

However, I 100% disagree with the TJ statement on Zambrano.
The curve is what puts the most strain on the elbow (as the other poster alluded to as well)......which is what got Wood that surgery. Having had TJ surgery myself and having throw curves recklessly as a young teen is what caused it. I still remember May 07, 1999 or 2000. I believe, that 20 K game by Wood vs. the Astros. That curve was absolute dynamic, I think the reason Derek Bell's career went downhill is because Wood broke his back with his curve that game.

Having a hard time with the deal. The actual deal is: Peavy/Andy Marte for Gerut/Fielder. Fielder and Marte are free to keep until they surpass rookie eligiblity. After that, they'd both be $8.

I have Blalock and Burroughs both as keeper possibilities. Blalock @ $4/ Burroughs @ $5 and there's +3/added per year kept (i.e. Blalock's $7 in '05 and Burroughs $8 in '05 if I decide to keep). Blalock's not moving anywhere, barring a serious injury, for the next decade.

Another thing of note is this is 6x6 league (hitter K's is a category -- Marte swings and misses too much for my tastes). Added to that, I believe Fielder's the best minor leaguer in baseball.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Mon May 10, 2004 1:04 am

Peavy its not even close. He's been better to this point in his career, he's in a big time pitchers park, he's shown amazing K potential so far this year... zambrano got a bunch of wins the first week or two and fizzled out.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon May 10, 2004 1:21 am

I would keep Peavy, and I'll tell you why. I've seen Zambrano pitch and I don't like his motion. He's got weird mechanics. People talk about how Prior has perfect mechanics and that's why he isn't a good candidate for injurys later. Zambrano is the total opposite.

And I'd be having trouble with that deal as well, though. I think I'm as big a believer in Prince as you're going to find, but Marte is also a top prospect. Also, I think that Gerut is not as good as his numbers indicate.

All in all, I'd probably consider the deal for awhile and then turn it down. See if you can't squeeze a little more out of it to make it a better deal.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers