Best sleepers at each position - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best sleepers at each position

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best sleepers at each position

Postby phr3ak » Sun May 09, 2004 12:13 pm

I need help here.
I thought D´angelo Jimenez would be a great pickup but he is struggling.
Same to Johan Santana, Jose Contreras and Cintron.
What can I expect from these guys and help me out with some sleepers.
phr3ak Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rlee » Sun May 09, 2004 1:12 pm

Lyle Overbay has been tearing the cover off the ball. BA .500 last week w/ 3HRs, 12 (I think) RBIs.

Matt Kata 2B - if the Dbacks are smart they'll leave him there even when Alomar gets back.

Jason Bay - just got off DL and his teammate Craig Wilson

Wilson Alvarez

Hope this helps B-)
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun May 09, 2004 1:20 pm

Jimenez I thought would be a decent player too, but his 219 average is ugly to say the least. Right now I'm not touching him. Cintron is another guy who showed some pop and had SS eligibility, which I thought made him a valuable commodity, but he has been a fairly big disappointment as well. I had him at my SS position in lieu of Reyes, but have since dropped him, first for Adam Everett, and now I'm using Juan Uribe, who isn't playing today :-P

As for the two pitchers you mentioned, I'd like to think that Santana will get it together and have a very strong season, but so far he hasn't looked particularly good. Same for Contreras, except I expect a little less of him. In any case, I'd hang on to both. They could be effective producers in the near future.

As for sleepers at 2B/SS, man, they're hard to come by right now. At 2B, you have Ronnie Belliard, who's good, but has no power, Marlon Anderson and Keith Ginter, who aren't full time, all of which might be taken anyway. Matt Kata might deserve a look. He's got upside, and is a decent run producer, and MAY even show a little pop a little ways downt the road.
As for SS it really isn't much better...Adam Everett, Royce Clayton, Omar Vizquel, Pokey Reese, take your pick, you're not going to get much here.

Jose Valentin MIGHT be available if you have a league of impatient owners, and if you can stomach his career average of around 240, then he'll supply you with some occasional pop.

In any case, with both positions, it's a very shallow talent pool.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby phr3ak » Sun May 09, 2004 9:15 pm

so i should dump jimenez and take Kata?
phr3ak Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers