Jeff Allison - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Jeff Allison

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeff Allison

Postby Pedantic » Sun May 09, 2004 5:32 am

Anyone have any inside track on what's going on with him? I've heard he left extended spring training, possibly drug-related, and now no one knows where he is? :-o
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Oat Soda » Sun May 09, 2004 6:57 am

Sorry man. Best I can find is what's on Baseball America. Opiates have always made me sick, but I've managed to get hooked on just about everything else I've tried, so I feel for him. Especially with his age and talent.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby frog99 » Sun May 09, 2004 9:53 pm

He is hooked on oxycontin and at home with his family. Poor bastard screwed his life up big time. From the people of i've talked to, it is doubtful he will ever pitch agian.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ensanimal » Sun May 09, 2004 10:02 pm

From Baseball America:

Allison Treated For Painkiller Dependency
By Mike Berardino
May 7, 2004

MIAMI--The sad tale of Marlins pitching prospect Jeff Allison has taken another unexpected turn for the worse.

According to two industry sources, Allison was treated over the winter for dependency on the prescription painkiller OxyContin.

The Boston Globe, citing a longtime associate of the pitcher, reported in Friday's editions Allison that received three weeks of outpatient treatment at Faulkner Hospital in Boston.

According to one source close to the situation, Allison failed at least one drug test in recent weeks before returning home to Peabody, Mass., about 35 minutes north of Boston. Allison left the Marlins' extended spring training camp in Jupiter last weekend.

"It's obviously a problem," a source said Thursday night. "It's not good."

Officially, the Marlins have said only that Allison, 19, has been placed on the restricted list and won't be paid until he's reinstated.

The club remains in sporadic contact with Allison, sources said, but no date has been set for his return. Nor has any further treatment been scheduled for the pitcher.

Attempts to reach the pitcher's parents, Bob and Noreen, who are divorced, were unsuccessful. Friends from Massachusetts told the Globe Allison has been seen around his hometown this week at the mall and participating in wiffle ball games.

Allison, Baseball America's 2003 High School Player of the Year, ranked 44th on BA's 2004 Top 100 Prospects list. He was considered to have the best fastball and the best curveball in the 2003 draft.

The 16th overall pick in last year's draft--sliding that far mainly because of signability concerns--Allison received a $1.85 million bonus. He pitched nine innings for the Marlins' Rookie-level Gulf Coast League team last August before being shut down with tendinitis.

Before reporting to spring camp in late March, three weeks later than most minor-leaguers, Allison agreed to additional random drug testing for the next two years and accepted a restructured payout of his $1.85 million signing bonus over the next 3-4 years.

OxyContin is a time-released form of oxycodone, a strong narcotic pain reliever similar to morphine. The drug is intended for use by terminal cancer patients and chronic pain sufferers.

According to the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research website, taking OxyContin daily "can result in physical dependence, a condition in which the body shows signs of narcotic withdrawal if the OxyContin is stopped suddenly."

The website draws a distinction between addiction, which is based on psychological need, and physical dependence, which can be treated by slowly decreasing the dosage of the drug.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 111)

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:25 pm

I actually faced the kid in all-stars a couple years ago, obviously I went 0-4 against him but the kid was incredible. He had such great accuracy with every pitch he threw, I can't even tell how great his curveball was...it's sad what happened, hopefully he'll turn his life around soon, he's still young
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:25 pm

I actually faced the kid in all-stars a couple years ago, obviously I went 0-4 against him but the kid was incredible. He had such great accuracy with every pitch he threw, I can't even tell how great his curveball was...it's sad what happened, hopefully he'll turn his life around soon, he's still young
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pedantic » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:11 am

Rotoworld wrote:Jeffrey Allison, the Marlins' top choice 2003's draft, admitted publicly that his unexcused absences from the team's minor-league camp this spring were caused by drug problems.
Despite the admission, Allison, who is addicted to the pain-killer OxyContin, is afraid to return to the Marlins because he believes they will enroll him in a drug rehabilitation program. The 19-year-old also admitted to testing positive for marijuana and being fined $200,000 by MLB. ''It's basically all on me when I want to come back,'' Allison said. ''It has nothing to do with [the Marlins] unless they release me.'' He doesn't want to go through rehab because ''I don't really agree with that because I don't have a problem anymore and I haven't in a while. I haven't for four to five months.'' The Marlins have declined comment and Allison remains on the restricted list.

Finally, some news.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby hybrid » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:16 am

I found it somewhat odd of how he talked about it. I don't see how the Marlins wouldn't send him to some type of rehab. They have a big investment in him, you don't just let it fly and say alright come back when your not certain he is over it. So I wonder when he will come back, I don't see the Marlins giving in during that type of situation. And Oxy-Contin can be a very hard drug to get off of.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Lenny Dykstra » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:56 pm

He married a girl named Alison now his wifes name is Alison Allison.& I think there related to Marcy Darcy!
Lenny Dykstra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Minor League & College Baseball